Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

And another stonkingly gorgeous day up here! Cloudless clue skies, clear and calm! Aye, I'll take this any day over the crappy stuff we had last weekend!

Posted

And another stonkingly gorgeous day up here! Cloudless clue skies, clear and calm! Aye, I'll take this any day over the crappy stuff we had last weekend!

Current set up is never the best for us here on the east coast but it is typical of spring. At least the sun is shining (in spells) so you'll hear no complaints from me even though with the sea breeze temps are suppressed to just 9c at 1pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Current set up is never the best for us here on the east coast but it is typical of spring. At least the sun is shining (in spells) so you'll hear no complaints from me even though with the sea breeze temps are suppressed to just 9c at 1pm.

A bit warmer here to your NW at 12.2C. Bright sunshine after early cloud cleared.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I was up in Dalkeith earlier today, pretty sunny and was becoming even clearer by the time I left. A fair breeze though so about 12/13c.

Back home now and it's 16.4c with a much lighter wind (as usual - although there is still a wind). Should make 18c or so if the wind keeps decreasing. Could have been warmer if we had light winds.

Still, completely clear skies, a beautiful light blue sky and 16/17 degrees and rising is not too shabby for mid-April!

Early next week looks even better :)

Posted

Highest max of the year so far at 20.1c

Definitely t-shirt weather out there now since the wind has totally died down :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Wall-to-wall sun all day on the BI but damned cold too in the wind. The haar threatened to come in for a while this afternoon but didn't get further up than the golf course thankfully.

Bud burst on the trees is here  :D

• Like 1

Posted

Cloudy this morning, just had a light shower, 8c. I thought it was cool here yesterday but I see Inverbervie didn't get above 6.9c!

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/pmextremes.html

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Winter well and truly back after Friday. Some incredibly cold uppers on the way. Could even be snow down to about 300ft! Glencoe plans to stay open till May Day. All this sun is impacting on the slopes. Was there today still full cover. Getting dodgy.

If they can just get through this week then plenty of new snow to come. They might even stay open beyond May day! Why not if there is fresh snow.

Posted

Lovely weekend albeit it a bit cool. Was in London most of the week, and saw 25C in Guildford, proper taps aff weather, then fly back to this Thursday night....

post-2849-0-19865200-1429470884_thumb.jp

Spent today up at Auchengarrich, clouded over a wee bit mid afternoon, but still a nice day, temp about 13C, now wall to wall blue.

post-2849-0-99024100-1429471023_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted

Pretty cloudy all day, max of 13.2c so well down on yesterday. Did turn sunny after about 5pm.

Tomorrow looks good though with warmer temperatures and Tuesday could be the warmest day although all days until Friday look warm, well above average.

We could do with some rain now as the ground has rapidly dried up. I'm sure it'll come Friday and then never stop ;)

Still, i'd take a poor May and then an improvement in June and beyond than the other way round

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Pretty cloudy all day, max of 13.2c so well down on yesterday. Did turn sunny after about 5pm.

Tomorrow looks good though with warmer temperatures and Tuesday could be the warmest day although all days until Friday look warm, well above average.

We could do with some rain now as the ground has rapidly dried up. I'm sure it'll come Friday and then never stop ;)

Still, i'd take a poor May and then an improvement in June and beyond than the other way round

I'll take issue with your poor May... :p especially if it's called Teresa :ninja:

Think I'd take a good start to the summer every time. Then a better second half too.

Edit: certainly looks like going tits up later in the week. Decisions, decisions, what to plant out, and when. :cc_confused:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

I'll take issue with your poor May... :p especially if it's called Teresa :ninja:

Think I'd take a good start to the summer every time. Then a better second half too.

Edit: certainly looks like going tits up later in the week. Decisions, decisions, what to plant out, and when. :cc_confused:

Yeah, it's a bit early for fishing but I reckon this May might deliver a Salmon(d) ;)

Very true, unfortunately we don't live by the Mediterranean so I can't see it happening.

Outdoor activities will be severely effected by the predicted inclement weather :(

• Like 1

Posted

First post in a while. Had some cracking weather recently and I'll have to admit I managed to get sunburnt in 12c with not a leaf on a tree - a new low even for me! Took the kids for a wee break in Aberfeldy last week - great spot. Weather when we arrived on the Saturday was grim with some pretty heavy sleet on Saturday evening with snow on the hills around the town. It picked up from there though and by Wednesday the weather was fantastic. I got roasted when we stopped by Active Kids in Stanley on the way home on Saturday - great just sitting in the sun while the kids ran about daft. For a holiday in Scotland in April I couldn't possibly complain. Looks super duper for the coming weekend though!

Yeah, it's a bit early for fishing but I reckon this May might deliver a Salmon(d) ;)

Very true, unfortunately we don't live by the Mediterranean so I can't see it happening.

Outdoor activities will be severely effected by the predicted inclement weather :(

This is the precip accumulation chart from the GFS out to +186hrs +192hrs (edit). It's not the best but it's not that bad; almost completely dry for some areas. I think it'll be more noticeable as a result of the warmer weather this week but I don't see much that is too unusual for the time of year.

15042800_2000.gif

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

This is the precip accumulation chart from the GFS out to +186hrs. It's not the best but it's not that bad; almost completely dry for some areas. I think it'll be more noticeable as a result of the warmer weather this week but I don't see much that is too unusual for the time of year.

1504%20800_2000.gif

Dry for your back yard you mean! ;)

I did note that is seems equally wet in the south which will depress the MOD thread. Therefore, it's not that bad for us compared to the usual when low pressure is involved.

We need some rain anyway, I quite like humid and damp conditions but it's the very cold I don't like

Dry for your back yard you mean! ;)

I did note that is seems equally wet in the south which will depress the MOD thread. Therefore, it's not that bad for us compared to the usual when low pressure is involved.

We need some rain anyway, I quite like humid and damp conditions but it's the very cold I don't like

Wheest, I thought the SE was the most important part of the country? Or have I got myself confused with a different country?

Anywhere looking at around 15-20mm of rain in an eight day period in April is going to experience only average rainfall for the time of year. It does look wet in the west, but even by April's dry standards it's not that bad. Anyway, time to stop the pedantry :D

Aye, we could do with rain here too. It has been very dry recently. It takes longer than it does for NL but it's getting dusty round here, it won't be long before we've got dustdrifts on the roads again. MrsCatch put some grass seed down on the back grass about ten days ago, I've had to water it every day but it's still bone dry and the seed has not properly germinated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I've also put some grass seed down in places at an attempt to patch up bare bit but in that respect the lack of rain is getting annoying. It really is pretty dry around here at the moment, even bits of the dog walk in the woods that usually manage to remain pretty muddy through dry spells have dried solid. A continuation of the dry winter for the NE.

Saturday was by far the best day of the weekend here. Started off cool but warmed up as the day progressed. I went out for a cycle late morning and it was warm at times, cool at others, depending on the combination of exposure to the sun and the breeze. Stood watching the kids footy in the afternoon though I'd to strip off a layer as I was getting too warm, first time for a while for that.

Sunday started out cloudy, with a light smirr of drizzle, which lasted into the afternoon. Not unpleasant overall once the drizzle disappeared but noticeably cooler than Saturday. Later in the afternoon the sun even managed to break through in patches, but still not t-shirt weather as I continued my quest to try to knock the garden into shape.

So far I've got some veg seeds successfully germinating in one of my two small 4-tier-greenhouses but not risked anything 'outdoors' yet. With the weather forecast for it to cool down again rather than warm up I think I'll have to work out what else I can start off under cover for now.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted

Currently 17.3c and still rising. Less of a wind than of late and each day seems to be a bit warmer than the last. Blue skies all the way today (and looks even warmer tomorrow).

Currently 17.3c and still rising. Less of a wind than of late and each day seems to be a bit warmer than the last. Blue skies all the way today (and looks even warmer tomorrow).

My thermometer from the weather station is reading 23.8ºC. I suspect it might be picking up a little heat from the fence and the shed? Perhaps nudging the temperature up by a degree or ten :D

Cracking day though, I should really cut the grass but I think an hour sitting in the sun sounds a lot more fun!

Posted

My thermometer from the weather station is reading 23.8ºC. I suspect it might be picking up a little heat from the fence and the shed? Perhaps nudging the temperature up by a degree or ten :D

Cracking day though, I should really cut the grass but I think an hour sitting in the sun sounds a lot more fun!

Just a little....

By 6pm my thermometer starts to get hit by the sun, luckily the max has occurred by then so not a problem.

Last July was 53c apparently ;)

Just a little....

By 6pm my thermometer starts to get hit by the sun, luckily the max has occurred by then so not a problem.

Last July was 53c apparently ;)

You'd need to knock a couple of º off that reading, perhaps down to 51ºC before you phone the Met-O and claim the Scottish record? :D

The GFS is going for snow in the north on Saturday, snow in the south on Sunday. Not sure how low it will fall, but it looks ok for some low level snow in the north at least. It's going to be a shock to the system after what's ahead in the next few days. Max temps for parts of the north struggling to get past 1ºC on Saturday!!

Posted

I'll see your salmon and raise you a sturgeon, SWS.  I wonder which would be the easier to catch, if you get my drift... (apologies :oops: )

Blue sky here all day again although pretty cool until late afternoon. Beeb showing more cloud for here for the rest of the week although not quite nailded iMO.

Rav, I've got a few different sort of beans starting to germinate now, in pots in the porch. Broad beans (ordinary and dwarf), dwarf French (no SS jokes), French, runners and an odd dark runner. Last year we found they all did well in our garden - they don't need hot summer heat (in fact they wilt and the pods don't set), just lots of water.

I'm just hoping this upcoming cold blast doesn't knacker the plums and damsons again... these late wintry incursions seem to have become a bit of a feature here in the last few years, last year being an exception.  It breaks my heart to see the flowers being shredded by horizontal sleet.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Oc at 6.00am this morning and then a fine sunny warm afternoon. Have put turning out cattle full time on hold for a week as grass growth is very slow with these frosty nights and we will see how cold the weekend is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Perhaps a last gasp of Winter in the next week or so.

Although why anyone would wish for cold and wet,I don't know.

But definitely something here that would concern the gardeners .

AND HC Id consider protecting those plums😜

post-18260-0-41929500-1429557522.jpgpost-18260-0-12791500-1429557531.jpgpost-18260-0-10060300-1429557540.jpgpost-18260-0-32736600-1429557547.jpg

• Like 1