Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April warm spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Finally, a day with hardly any wind. Looks like the most pleasant day is gonna end up being the last day. Let's hope this is a precursor to summer rather than an alternative.

Posted

A breeze was welcome here this afternoon as it was easily the warmest so far at 18.7C.
Have a nasty feeling that could be the highest for several weeks now though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

The thing is, we don't often get the good weather here in a W/E split because the Pennines end at Stoke, and we are east of the Welsh mountains. So the dividing line goes north and west of here (through Mid Wales and Cheshire) while in a NW/SE split it's south and east.

Stoke is near the end of the Peak District.  From Frodsham Hill I can see Stoke, and the Cheshire Gap.  The problem you have in Shrewsbury is being directly in the firing line of the Cheshire Gap.  Anything coming in on a Northwesterly crosses the Cheshire Plain and funnels straight through the Gap and of course a NW'ly is most likely to be carrying less than ideal weather.

As I'm basically new to this site, I apologise for my sometimes odd grammar - stroke.  For the same reason I sometimes tend to be terse, because it can cost me a lot of effort to write prose.  For some reason the spellchecker doesn't seem to work while posting here.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The lack of rain during this warm spell is starting to show on the grass here now.

Posted

In contrast to some today was only about average here, reaching 13.2c due to a cooler wind off the sea. A cloudy start but still became a lovely day though.

I'm not convinced we will get much rain here looking at various models but even if we do (and I'd kind of like us to as some things would probably like a drink to encourage spring growth), it will only be what you expect for this (or any) time of year and we will still have had a good month.

We've only had 5.6mm of rain this month and we need 3.6mm for it not to be the driest month I've recorded (currently 9.2mm in April 2011). I guess we will probably get that by months end but you never know. 

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Today is third consecutive day with temperatures reaching 20C+. It's been a lovely April so far! It's just a shame that the last few days of it are going to completely let the entire month down...

Depends, if the final few days bring sunshine and showers then I don't think this month will be ruined. True, the temperature drop will be felt but a predominantly dry and sunny month followed by a convective spell at the end is not bad at all in my book. I'll just forget the 3 grey boring days right at the start of the month lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Nasty looking cloud cover over Leeds developed the last half hour.

Vorcity from the front moving north may be about to set off a few showers.

Posted

.. And that's the warm spell done.

Raining in Leeds now.

petrichor aparently ,interesting article on Wikipedia :)..

thankyou for that.. Always wondered what it was. The rain was light so that explained the strong smell of it the other night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I don't even think we managed 16c but there was a few nice sunny days.

Posted

Here in the south we managed another warm day yesterday with temperatures close to 18 deg C here, but then the warm spell started later for us, with most of the Easter weekend being chilly and overcast.  Overnight rain preceded some distinctly chillier air today, and we'll probably only just scrape double figures.