Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Suggestions for a new Camera

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Hi,

I've been lucky enough to get myself on the Weather Holidays Tour 1 with Netweather this year. I've currently got a Fuji S2950 bridge camera, which is great for general photography, but I was wondering if there are any cameras that are highly recommended for lightning, cloud structure and maybe tornadic weather? Lightning is definitely the key feature I am looking for in a good camera. I've read about the Nikon D90 but just wondered if there was anything that anyone here already uses that they would recommend? Budget is upto £300 for a camera, but flexible to other options. Also are GoPro cameras good for lightning and storm photography?

Thanks in advance!

Mike.

Edited by mikeofmacc

Posted

I got a Nikon D3200 for Xmas with the 18-55 zoom lens. This is available for around £300. It is a very good camera and can deliver stunning results. You also have all the expected manual overrides to get the best results from a particular situation.

The problem with a DSLR is that you can spend a lot more on accessories, but there are ways of reducing the cost. We picked up a second hand Nikon 55-200 VR zoom from CEX for £99, it was in excellent condition. You may also want to consider a 35mm or 50mm F1.8 to cope with low light conditions, spare batteries... the list can go on.

If you are going to be shooting from a moving vehicle the VR mode will undoubtedly help your images, and there are other manufactures who can offer similar systems eg Canon IS.

One accessory wich we have found useful is the WiFi adapter, it allows you to download straight to your tablet or phone, and you can also use your mobile device as a remote control and you can enable 'live view' so that you can frame the picture using your phone screen.

• 1 month later...