Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The qbo phase is less negative now at -12.33 so an encouraging sign for quite a positive Arctic oscillation on the horizon. I could be wrong on this, but that is what I think is happening.

Not as simple as that unfortunately and has a stronger impact during winter. 

Posted

Have you done an analogue list summer blizzard of this summer and does it have in common what stuart markham has indicated?

Will do one once the PDO updates.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Today is such a tease. Lovely fragrant warm air, not a chill at all meaning it really does feel like summer. If only it was going to last. Best get out and enjoy it.

Posted

90 F (32,2°C) broken here in the Mannheim area http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/DL/Mannheim.html

dew point is 20°C

at 13:45 CET 33,1°C, dew point 20°C, heat index 35°C

at 14:15 CET 33,6°C, dew point 20°C, heat index 36°C

at 14:45 CET 33,9°C, dew point 18°C, heat index 35.6°C

Edited by Knoxgar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

26.7C had been recorded in Frittenden, Kent - The UK's highest temperature so far this year

Posted

35, 7 degrees

Posted

Seems quite nice and should get a bit warmer. The cold front is slower than forecast (was supposed to clear Leeds at 5pm last night - it's still in the Irish Sea) and it's also an epic fail with barely any precipitation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

26.7C had been recorded in Frittenden, Kent - The UK's highest temperature so far this year

Finally we have surpassed Aprils max temp.

Posted

first really hot day (>35°C) this year, maxed out at 36,3°C

Edited by Knoxgar

Posted

Yesterday evening felt like early summer, today unfortunately rather spring like disappointing temps and cloudy with spits of rain, but the front fizzled in situ barely any precipitation. Far too much wind as well, the last few weeks have been notably windy. Still waiting for our first 20 degrees.

Posted

Depressing to see such high temperatures just across the Channel while we get punished by yet more cool Atlantic crap. It's freezing here now.

Is it really too much to ask for one of these plumes not to get shunted just too far east?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Wow, that's really warm for early June. Surely some records broken?

A bit like 2006,i remember the world cup starting and they had 30+ degrees in Germany and at home here I had my coat on with drizzle and Max's of 12 deg,almost De ja vou

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

33.3 deg record for uk for june 6th....just 19 here today!!

• Like 1

Posted

Depressing to see such high temperatures just across the Channel while we get punished by yet more cool Atlantic crap. It's freezing here now.

Is it really too much to ask for one of these plumes not to get shunted just too far east?

34-36C? They can keep it! It got to about 21C here today and that's as warm as id like it to be - not a hint of a chill and not too hot to be out and about working in it. Perfect. I'd probably prefer 25-30C if I'm by the pool or on the beach abroad, but above that is unnecessary and starts to get uncomfortable, in my opinion of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

34-36C? They can keep it! It got to about 21C here today and that's as warm as id like it to be - not a hint of a chill and not too hot to be out and about working in it. Perfect. I'd probably prefer 25-30C if I'm by the pool or on the beach abroad, but above that is unnecessary and starts to get uncomfortable, in my opinion of course.

Every day? Certainly - far too warm, but occasionally I like such heat - mostly for interest, as they tend to spark off juicy storms but it's also a novelty to get such high temperatures in the same way it is a novelty to get to -20C in winter. The way people go goo goo over cold weather on here is more puzzling to me because cold weather really serves very little purpose - and that's coming from a person who actually like cold weather in the appropriate seasons (i.e not summer!).

Not nice for wearing a suit mind you - but often worth it if it means I can sit in a T-shirt and shorts long into the evening with a drink in my hand, which I can't do now since it's too cold.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

Every day? Certainly - far too warm, but occasionally I like such heat - mostly for interest, as they tend to spark off juicy storms but it's also a novelty to get such high temperatures in the same way it is a novelty to get to -20C in winter. The way people go goo goo over cold weather on here is more puzzling to me because cold weather really serves very little purpose - and that's coming from a person who actually like cold weather in the appropriate seasons (i.e not summer!).

Not nice for wearing a suit mind you.

True, but I'm one for severe minima- I just love that deep cold feeling and the associated sights and sounds. The colder the better for me, well, in terms of UK cold. -40C in the Canadian arctic day after day would probably test my love of low temperatures.

Yeah, I do enjoy the odd novelty hot day or two, and the accompanying downpours/thunderstorms, but on a prolonged basis? - No thanks.

I still have nightmares about August 2003, I remember waking up in a tent on that record breaking day in a pool of sweat. I might have well have been in a greenhouse...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

True, but I'm one for severe minima- I just love that deep cold feeling and the associated sights and sounds. The colder the better for me, well, in terms of UK cold. -40C in the Canadian arctic day after day would probably test my love of low temperatures.

Yeah, I do enjoy the odd novelty hot day or two, and the accompanying downpours/thunderstorms, but on a prolonged basis? - No thanks.

I still have nightmares about August 2003, I remember waking up in a tent on that record breaking day in a pool of sweat. I might have well have been in a greenhouse...

Really?  :closedeyes:  :cc_confused:

Posted

I can see where you are coming from, because temperatures in the high thirties really are quite dangerous. I would like to see us to record 40C though (obviously that sort of heat should only be sustained for one day) because we're one of the twelve European countries that still haven't record it. It's sort of one of those "just to say we've done it" milestones.

a few years ago i though it would be a very likely possibility that somewhere in the south east or east midlands  would record a 40c in the next few years  ,  but to be honest it looks unlikey we will see that in our lifetimes,  and dont forget our sun is apparently going into its cyclic slumber, how that affects our temps I dont know , but history shows there will not be raging heatwaves very often with  maunder minimums  

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

a few years ago i though it would be a very likely possibility that somewhere in the south east or east midlands would record a 40c in the next few years , but to be honest it looks unlikey we will see that in our lifetimes, and dont forget our sun is apparently going into its cyclic slumber, how that affects our temps I dont know , but history shows there will not be raging heatwaves very often with maunder minimums

Not sure how true this is but I think I remember someone saying that warm Summer months were actually slightly more likely during the Dalton Minimum.

Edit: Just looking through here,

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cetml1659on.dat

there were a lot of months between 1790 and 1830 that were 17C or more. Some noteable months are July 1794 at 18.1C, June 1798 at 16.9C, and July 1808 at 18.4C.

I can see where you are coming from, because temperatures in the high thirties really are quite dangerous. I would like to see us to record 40C though (obviously that sort of heat should only be sustained for one day) because we're one of the twelve European countries that still haven't record it. It's sort of one of those "just to say we've done it" milestones.

I think 40C was unofficially recorded in the 1800's. Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted

a few years ago i though it would be a very likely possibility that somewhere in the south east or east midlands  would record a 40c in the next few years  ,  but to be honest it looks unlikey we will see that in our lifetimes,  and dont forget our sun is apparently going into its cyclic slumber, how that affects our temps I dont know , but history shows there will not be raging heatwaves very often with  maunder minimums  

What records we have from wheat prices and wine growing monasteries indicate the summers were not regularly cold. The problem was extreme events and general unpredictability, with damaging droughts just as likely as late/early frosts - hail seems to have been a big issue for viniculture - I suppose this may indicate clashing air masses not unlike what we have seen in recent years. The scientific studies suggest a meandering/stuck jet stream as being a symptom of low solar cycles but there is no evidence that the west of Europe is always in the trough in such a scenario.

• Like 3

Posted

That would make sense given that Atlantic lows provide some of the warmer conditions in winter while a continental influence generally provides the coldest. In the summer, a continental flow would generally aid warmer conditions than westerlies off the Atlantic, so if the longer term solar patterns have an effect on the position of the jet stream leading to a more continental pattern for the UK and less Atlantic influence we could expect some colder winters and possibly some warm summer months too.

Interestingly if we are starting from warmer baseline conditions, should this happen I suppose it is possible similar synoptics to the months you mention could even return slightly higher CET figures.

• Like 1