Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow On The Scottish Mountains 2015.

Posted

I struggle to see how El Nino has anything to do with the cold North Atlantic?Apart from anything else El Nino didn't really get going until well into this year, perhaps a common factor is involved with both though.

Have strong El Ninos previously had any cooling effect here? - I rather doubt it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I struggle to see how El Nino has anything to do with the cold North Atlantic? Apart from anything else El Nino didn't really get going until well into this year, perhaps a common factor is involved with both though.

Have strong El Ninos previously had any cooling effect here? - I rather doubt it.

I think the news coverage what I could understand in German probably referred that the cold Altlantic waters were affecting the temperatures over Scotland and Ireland and the El Nino effect to cause the heat over much of SW Europe. This prediction has been well documented lately. The main gist of the report was not a technical one, more of the extreme comparison of continental Europe heat and that of the North western perimeters of the same continent.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Around 19:15 min in and Firefly is up in Glencoe with the BBC. BBCi player only airing for another 3 hours so dont miss it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b064f7pz/bbc-news-at-six-11082015

• Like 3

Posted

A circular walk to Lochan Buidhe to see snow patches

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7551363@N06/sets/72157654837612423

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

A circular walk to Lochan Buidhe to see snow patches

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7551363@N06/sets/72157654837612423

Interesting to see where the reindeer prefer to be!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Amazing images, what a year it has been for the Scottish snow patches.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Magical snow tunnels defy Scottish summertime.

Amazing pictures show the results of “exceptional†amounts of snow clinging to Scottish mountains in the height of summer.

Experts say low summer temperatures mean vast quantities of the white stuff remain in places they would never normally be seen.

An unusual mix of circumstances has produced a stunning world of snow tunnels and bridges towering higher than a double-decker buses.

A range of factors has seen a growing number of ‘snow patches’ refusing to melt since 2007 but this summer there are more than experts have seen in 20 years. https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/666752/pictures-magical-snow-tunnels-defy-scottish-summertime/

A more extensive album here from Helen Rennie on Twitter https://www.flickr.com/photos/7551363@N06/20568253786/in/dateposted-public/

SnowTunnel-6.jpgSnowTunnel-8.jpgSnowTunnel-1.jpg

That middle photo is just amazing.

I am surprised that such small patches over all is far more than normal.

So these patches should last and start growing then soon ??

Posted

Firefly (Iain Cameron) up Schiehallion

https://flic.kr/s/aHskhNiimD

And yesterday:- 

A visit to the hills of Bridge of Orchy yesterday to see the last vestiges of snow in the southern Highlands.

https://flickr.com/phot…/28183399@N03/sets/72157657293616865

Posted

Drone video from Aonach Mor and Aonach Beag Snow patch hunting 17th by Firefly (Iain)

• Like 6

Posted

Firefly out on Ben Nevis today, A special day was reported and more to come.. Great shots !  :D

11061212_10153162379381376_771905735780911887894_10153162378546376_651290685884811885240_10153162376576376_6889629346840

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 8

Posted

Firefly..

'Amazing wander around Observatory Gully on Ben Nevis today. Length of snow measured in the hundreds of meters, and the depth is only to be guessed at. Point 5 gully with about 12-15 metre depth, and easily as much in the main gully.

Snow tunnels galore, and we wandered through a 65 metre tunnel from the bottom of Point 5 gully to the top.'

11949506_998225740209072_72415134177739611902324_10153162862701376_532908726169011898648_10153162874166376_607935901242511898925_10153162862471376_3271700158704

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Excellent images - wish I could get there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Nowhere near as good as the above pictures, but I took these whilst out walking in the Cairngorms on Saturday. There's still quite a number of snow patches around, some of which look like they could well survive into the coming winter.

The first 2 were taken from Loch Etchachan looking towards Ben Macdui, the second two from near the summit of Beinn Mheadhoin lookign towards Cairn Gorm. Difficult to tell the extent from the pictures, but the large patch in the last one looked pretty deep from a distance.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

That middle photo is just amazing.

I am surprised that such small patches over all is far more than normal.

So these patches should last and start growing then soon ??

2007 a bench mark for the Uks weather...Beautiful photos. Just a little question, whist the Alps glaciers have some heat to contend with, the Scottish mountains have seen in recent years a marked change to colder conditions for Summer and Winter at that. Some scientists some years ago said there would be no snow over the Scottish mountains at the start of the 21st century. :rofl: So the weather is perfect for Glaciers to form over the Scottish mountains ,perhaps to recede in the Alps? We are certainly at a pivitol time :cc_confused:

Posted

I'm just a tad late with this but yes an astonishing amount of snow still around in the highlands.

I did the three peaks challenge back in June and was pretty surprised to encounter 2-3ft of snow for most of the last 3km of the climb up Nevis - and that was in 20c heat! 

post-1038-0-63872600-1440450004_thumb.jppost-1038-0-04466500-1440450090_thumb.jp

SK

• Like 4

Posted

So the weather is perfect for Glaciers to form over the Scottish mountains ,perhaps to recede in the Alps? We are certainly at a pivitol time

I hardly think that first part is likely; the latter part has been occurring a lot longer than the 30 years I have been visiting the same area of the Jungfrau region.

Posted

Firefly out on Ben Nevis today, A special day was reported and more to come.. Great shots !  :D

11061212_10153162379381376_771905735780911887894_10153162378546376_651290685884811885240_10153162376576376_6889629346840

Quite stunning. Doubt they'll melt now, nightime minimas drop like a stone this time of year. 

• Like 1

Posted

I agree, absolutely stunning pictures.

Looking at the Glencoe webcams these snow patches have certainly taken a hit over the last few days.

I fear more heavy rain will have further impacts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

So the weather is perfect for Glaciers to form over the Scottish mountains ,perhaps to recede in the Alps? We are certainly at a pivitol time

I hardly think that first part is likely; the latter part has been occurring a lot longer than the 30 years I have been visiting the same area of the Jungfrau region.

Properly a naive question however.

When does an all year snow/ice patch become a glacier, is there a technical classification.

Posted

Properly a naive question however.

When does an all year snow/ice patch become a glacier, is there a technical classification.

not an expert but I'm sure if you Google that answer will be there. If I get time I'll have a look, might be something to do with the area covered although that is just guessing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just been reading 'cool britannia',a great read and it is possible that small glaciers existed during the late medieval to Victorian times in Scotland,depending on what the definition of a glacier may be but it is fact that snow and ice commonly witnessed then has never been seen in the last century even in the worst winters!