Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms Spring 2015

Zenarcher

Posted

New thread for the Atlantic storms during spring of 2015.

There seems to be a chance of one between Friday and Sunday.

The 18z GFS shows gusts of just over 60mph for Friday evening,

post-6686-0-34513100-1427063617_thumb.pn post-6686-0-19992900-1427063618_thumb.pn

12z GFS had it further North with gusts reaching 60 to 70mph,

post-6686-0-69353200-1427063673_thumb.pn

Then on Saturday night into Sunday widespread 60 to 70mph gusts across the UK,

post-6686-0-69063200-1427063775_thumb.pn post-6686-0-06816400-1427063776_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

GFS has thrown some interesting weather up Sunday night into Monday. Sadly at this time period the GFS has proven to be totally unreliable so I'm not getting excited. On it's recent performances I would only take it seriously at T48

post-2404-0-58286500-1427306231_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

how much rain are we expecting from this latest Atlantic blast(s), just asking as I am taking a boat on a quite flood prone river for a week. (East Midlands)

Thanks

Posted

Yesterday 71mph was reported from Tay bridge as the Met Office issued a wind warning for most of Scotland. Today to Wednesday looks windy for most of the UK with widespread gusts mainly being 40 to 50mph and reaching just over 60mph in some places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looking very windy later and overnight tonight as a deepening depression crosses Scotland with the strongest winds on the southern flank, gusts look to be in the 60-70mph range for some places, Met have just issued a warning for wind. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1427670000

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted

Looking quite potent for tonight gusts into the 60's possible XCweather has us under 67 mph lol. A slight easing round 7 and then back up to the mid sixties mid morning onwards to early evening.

Posted

Conditions starting to deteriorate here already !!.

Surprised there isn't more interest in this system.

Far as I'm aware it's quite unusual to see 60 mph gusts being forecast on the models and on TV forecasts for inland areas epcs the Midlands. ?? 

Edit: I would also like to add yesterday's system brought quite a number of branches down in the roads and few telephone lines over this way.

post-7891-0-68599500-1427729459_thumb.pn

post-7891-0-55295100-1427729464_thumb.pn

Edited by mildmuck

Posted

sorry mildmuck been lurking.

xcw has the strong winds here tuesday in rush hour pretty worrying if they are really strong.  Listening to Jo Farrow suggesting possible 70's hope everyone stays safe.

• Like 1

Posted

Just beginning to show itself south west Ireland.

Posted

Well the rain is struggling across the Pennines so I'm not expecting vast amounts. Wind should be the main theme I think. Looking at the warning the rain is just for peak district area northwards. Going to be a classic rain shadow effect tonight.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Honestly I do not expect much but there could be some disruption with fallen trees.

Is it possible for there still to be upgrades in potency or is it pretty much nailed on?

Posted

I see the local met office update has a downgrade for us. Max 38 up to midnight. Mmmmm.

Posted

Capel Curig reported a 97mph gust at 1am now reporting 86mph at 2am.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Gusting 61mph overnight here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

wasnt as bad as l was expecting, 62mph winds here in hereford.. tho it didnt sound like it... l guess the bin men had their job cut out for them today as its recycling day today.. my guess is sacks were blown everywhere considering my neighbours wheelie bin went walkies (or should l say "took flying lessions" since it ended up scaling 2 fences and was found an estate over).

also a friends garden in kington was pretty much totally devistated, they still havent found their cloths line.

Posted

wasnt as bad as l was expecting, 62mph winds here in hereford.. tho it didnt sound like it... l guess the bin men had their job cut out for them today as its recycling day today.. my guess is sacks were blown everywhere considering my neighbours wheelie bin went walkies (or should l say "took flying lessions" since it ended up scaling 2 fences and was found an estate over).

also a friends garden in kington was pretty much totally devistated, they still havent found their cloths line.

??  ...Just been watching Midlands Today showing some trees on the ground and a man taken to hospital due to a tree fallen on his car (alive luckily- thank the lord), as well as rail disruption.

Edited by mildmuck

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Tonight's GFS shows a narrow band of very strong winds crossing the North Midlands and Northern England midday tomorrow. Gusts may reach 60+ in exposed places. Of course all depends on how the low actually develops.

• Like 1