Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2014/2015 Postmortem

How Was Winter 2014/2015 For You?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How Was Winter 2014/2015 For You?

• Loved It! - Just What I Wanted.
    • Satisfactory But Could Have Been Way More Special.
    • Not Good But Could Have Been Worse.
    • Hated It! - Absolutely Rubbish!

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Another winter goes out with a mild whimper instead of a frigid bang once again sadly, just like all the other 6 seasons before it.  This topic is to discuss winter 2014/2015 in its aftermath.  There is also a poll to give your own thoughts on how good/bad this winter was.  For me winter 2014/2015 was just rubbish but I feel I probably would have had a somewhat higher opinion of it if this winter had followed a more decent winter such as winter 2012/2013 instead of the terrible "winter" 2013/2014!  For a cold fan to get 2 rubbish winters on the bounce is a kick in the teeth.

I fear we may never see another proper cold season of any kind for a long time at least.  13 years past before winter 2008/2009 became the first proper cool/cold season after spring 1996 although there had been some occasional near average seasons during that period (autumn 1996, winter 1996/1997, summer 1998, winter 2005/2006, summer 2007, autumn 2007, summer 2008, and autumn 2008).  But even more so now, there is just too much background warmth in the Global Climate System now.  Post June 2013 we can barely scrape single cool/cold months like November 2013 and August 2014 let alone proper cold seasons.

Edited by Craig Evans

Posted

Post June 2013 we can barely scrape single cool/cold months like November 2013 and August 2014 let alone proper cold seasons.

Some facts

Months below the 1971-2000 average since and including January 2010

Aug 2014: 14.9 (-1.3)

Nov 2013: 6.2 (-0.7)

Jun 2013: 13.6 (-0.5)

May 2013: 10.4 (-0.9)

Apr 2013: 7.5 (-0.6)

Mar 2013: 2.7 (-3.6)

Feb 2013: 3.2 (-1.0)

Jan 2013: 3.5 (-0.7)

Dec 2012: 4.8 (-0.3)

Nov 2012: 6.8 (-0.1)

Oct 2012: 9.7 (-0.7)

Sep 2012: 13.0 (-0.6)

Jul 2012: 15.5 (-1.0)

Jun 2012: 13.5 (-0.6)

Apr 2012: 7.2 (-0.9)

Feb 2012: 3.8 (-0.4)

Aug 2011: 15.4 (-0.8]

July 2011: 15.2 (-1.3)

June 2011: 13.8 (-0.3)

Jan 2011: 3.7 (-0.5)

Dec 2010: -0.7 (-5.8]

Nov 2010: 5.2 (-1.7)

Oct 2010: 10.3 (-0.1)

Aug 2010: 15.3 (-0.9)

May 2010: 10.7 (-0.6)

Mar 2010: 6.1 (-0.2)

Feb 2010: 2.8 (-1.4)

Jan 2010: 1.4 (-2.8]

This winter contained a rolling 31 consecutive day period that looks like it went below 3.0C for the CET, we will know when February has been finalised. That's 6 of the last 7 winters if verified that has happened.

There was a period when we were struggling we couldn't even get a calendar month below 3.0C to the point that people were questioning whether it could happen again?!

The Manchester Winter Index is going to be in the low 80s, it is clear to me that location has played a massive role this winter, maybe more than usual. Even in the greatest winters or indeed any season for that matter, some locations always does less well than others. Last winter was not that wet here despite it going down overall as the wettest winter on record.

We had more polar maritime airmasses this winter than for sometime and those locations that do well out of these synoptics have done OK. For instance, the field behind me has been snow covered for 7 days and patches of snow in the back garden have lasted in total nearly a fortnight.

Not been the greatest winter but good for a winter with little in deep cold or northerly blocking.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

7/10 IMBY.

Couple of severe gale events in December, snow falling on a few days but only two days with snow actually on the ground.

Very frosty/foggy spell from Boxing Day until the end of the year.

Below average January temperature wise and 16 days with snow on the ground - fantastic Winter month.

Febuary has been a rather boring Winter month, nothing really of note snow/wind wise - good number of air/ground frosts.

Spring has begun here with gales and there are heavy snow showers forecast for the next 48 hours.

Hoping for a March like 2012 or 2013 - 20 degrees for a week or below average and snowy.

Posted

Some facts

Months below the 1971-2000 average since and including January 2010

Aug 2014: 14.9 (-1.3)

Nov 2013: 6.2 (-0.7)

Jun 2013: 13.6 (-0.5)

May 2013: 10.4 (-0.9)

Apr 2013: 7.5 (-0.6)

Mar 2013: 2.7 (-3.6)

Feb 2013: 3.2 (-1.0)

Jan 2013: 3.5 (-0.7)

Dec 2012: 4.8 (-0.3)

Nov 2012: 6.8 (-0.1)

Oct 2012: 9.7 (-0.7)

Sep 2012: 13.0 (-0.6)

Jul 2012: 15.5 (-1.0)

Jun 2012: 13.5 (-0.6)

Apr 2012: 7.2 (-0.9)

Feb 2012: 3.8 (-0.4)

Aug 2011: 15.4 (-0.8]

July 2011: 15.2 (-1.3)

June 2011: 13.8 (-0.3)

Jan 2011: 3.7 (-0.5)

Dec 2010: -0.7 (-5.8]

Nov 2010: 5.2 (-1.7)

Oct 2010: 10.3 (-0.1)

Aug 2010: 15.3 (-0.9)

May 2010: 10.7 (-0.6)

Mar 2010: 6.1 (-0.2)

Feb 2010: 2.8 (-1.4)

Jan 2010: 1.4 (-2.8]

This winter contained a rolling 31 consecutive day period that looks like it went below 3.0C for the CET, we will know when February has been finalised. That's 6 of the last 7 winters if verified that has happened.

There was a period when we were struggling we couldn't even get a calendar month below 3.0C to the point that people were questioning whether it could happen again?!

The Manchester Winter Index is going to be in the low 80s, it is clear to me that location has played a massive role this winter, maybe more than usual. Even in the greatest winters or indeed any season for that matter, some locations always does less well than others. Last winter was not that wet here despite it going down overall as the wettest winter on record.

We had more polar maritime airmasses this winter than for sometime and those locations that do well out of these synoptics have done OK. For instance, the field behind me has been snow covered for 7 days and patches of snow in the back garden have lasted in total nearly a fortnight.

Not been the greatest winter but good for a winter with little in deep cold or northerly blocking.

Wow, December 10 was something special ey! -5.8C! 

January here was -0.3C below average. 

February was spot on average at 4.1C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I'll give it a 7 out of 10 and voted that I loved it. It was cold most of the time and there were frequent frosts, snowfall on Boxing day and much snow fell in January which melted slowly. Much improved on last year and I'm a realist. I don't expect snowmageddon every year. Most important for me was the cold which there was plenty.

Posted

well 6th on Manchester index here out of 18 so I seem to have done quite well. It snowed in all 3 winter months and lay on the ground in two,6 days and 4 with 22 air frosts (average is 23), but no really low temperatures, no ice days and the lowest overnight was -3.4.

No deep cold of long lasting variety for sure but the Polar Maritime, with brief Arctic incursions, was 'kind' to this lowland area, my height is 43 feet so not many much lower!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I really think at the end of it, average is the best word to describe this winter.

In the end location was key, as seen above many in the north west have had a cracking winter as the frequent bursts of cold air from the north west provided a lot of snow and frosts, those in the east and south of course have faired worse. Here personally it has been ok here with some snow events and a maximum depth of snow here was 1 inch one morning from a very heavy snow shower during the early hours one morning.

We have had a few minimum of -4C but nothing -5C or below.

The one key feature this winter has been the above average sunshine totals, given that north westerlies tend to bring the sunniest weather then this probably isn't a surprise. The CET for each month has been close to average. So in the end it is a case of where you were in the UK really decided your fate this winter. The large degree of disappointment has really been caused by the combination of previous winters (13/14 excluded) and the highly promising background signals which predicted a much more blocked winter for Europe in general.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

From a keen gardener's point of view this winter was better than the last.  We had a few good frosts and not as much rainfall - shame not enough snow to make a snow sculpture in the garden tho (-:

Posted

The winter was dominated by the atlantic most of the time,did have high pressure during the late christmas period also with snow around that time frosts(not very low here though),and another better high pressure later in the winter which gave 9 air frosts on the trot here,its the cold zonality that I was pleased with,going back to the 00`s there was a complete lack of this and thought it was on its last legs.
There has been no northerlies or east winds this winter,only minor days where shortwaves or small areas of low pressure track.
I`ve voted it could've been more special due to the lack of cold easterlies.

There was 2 days drifting snow from the west/SW too.
I still prefer winter of 2005-06 though as that gave a much dryer winter and more memorable snow events from the east.
But satisfactory.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Pretty decent winter here, December was fairly nondescript but January contained two snowy spells. First spell mid-month had two inches lying for a week. Second spell at the end of the month running in to February had five inches level with three foot drifts, lying for two weeks. February was a cool month with several days of falling snow but only thin coverings.

One thing that has been lacking again this winter like last is a prolonged spell of high pressure. I do love a good week or two in winter of sharp frosts, fog and sunny days.

I'd give this winter 8/10, bumped up by the biggest snowfall we've had here for some time at the end of Jan.

Posted

I'll give it 3/10. The statistics (18 days snow falling, 4 days snow lying at 0900) suggest a near average winter snow wise, but they hide the fact that never did more than 1cm manage to settle, and only on one day (Jan 14) did snowcover last beyond noon.

Constant sleet or rain at 2C, snow that quickly turned to rain (including in one case a Cheshire gap streamer, how on earth did that happen?) and the most tiresome feature of 2014-15, the same places getting the best snow again and again. East Midlands (in a NW ly?), Manchester and above all the Peak District which seems to be a law unto itself regarding snow these days.

It also continued 2013/14's mystery of repeated clear nights that struggled to freeze, and never recorded below -4, or any maxima below 2C. The only anticyclone we had might as well nit have bothered, it gave a week of the most revolting grey muck day and night.

Posted

14th January-13th February CET: 2.8C

From winters 1997-98 to 2007-08 inclusive, I think it only happened twice? 2000-01 and 2001-02?

Posted

I think that winter 2014-15 was very much a typical traditional British winter, a bit of cold weather briefly late December and more generally with frequent frosts from mid January to the early part of February, without ever being particularly cold or producing any particularly widespread snow events; northern parts of the country (south Pennines northwards) have seen average snowfall this winter and other parts of the country have seen little snowfall, particularly areas south of the Pennines / Yorkshire / Derbyshire etc.  Fog has certainly been in short supply for most areas of the country this winter.

Winter 2014-15 is unlikely to be remembered by many people in years to come; it wasn't much out of the ordinary in many ways, as it certainly wasn't a deep freeze, and it certainly was better than the dross disaster that we endured in winters 2013-14, 2006-07, 2007-08, and further back in Jan / Feb 2002, 1997-98, 1988-89, 1989-90 etc.

Having said all this, although winter 2014-15 wasn't a cold winter, it was a colder period relative to average than we have seen since back in 2013, and at least temperatures were far closer to the norm than we have seen throughout 2014 with the exception of August.

Posted

Full winter stats here (averages in brackets are 1981-2010):

High Max: 14.8C (10th Jan)
Low Max: 2.3C (20th Jan)

High Min: 11.4C (22nd Dec)

Low Min: -2.4C (30th Jan)

Mean Max: 7.5C (+0.5C)

Mean Min: 2.0C (-0.5C)

Mean Temp: 4.7C (0.0C)

Rainfall: 118.6mm (73%)

Sunshine: 290hrs (153%)

Air Frosts: 23 (18)

Sleet/Snow Falling: 9 days (12 days)

Snow Lying at 0900: 1 day (6 days)

High Accumulation: 0.5cm

With polar maritime airmasses dominating it was a disappointing winter here for snowfall. Lying snow was pretty much non-existent, with just one day that had a 0.5cm cover which melted by midday. The lack of onshore breezes however meant it was quite a frosty winter and the sunniest ever. Both December and January were the sunniest on record, followed by the 2nd sunniest February (just behind 2008). All three winter months had more than 90 hours each. The notable feature however was the lack of any cold minima: out of the 23 air frosts only a handful were below -1C. There were no maxima below 2C, though we broke our record high maxima in January by 0.5C (previous record was 14.3C in Jan 1993). 23 days out of 90 had rainfall above 1mm and 39 had no rain at all - quite a high total.

It seems the key word for the winter was 'marginal', none of the cold spells had very potent 850hPa temperatures, which meant a few hundred metres in elevation made the difference between a poor and very good winter for snowfall. Areas to the west of here with 150m+ of elevation did very well.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

A bit more of a IMBY this year for some. More of the old north/south split

With average winters North /Hills will of course do best.

For me a very average winter (i can remember the last  40+) 

One decent snow fall but didn't last more then 24hrs. A lot of frosts and some interesting drops in temperatures during the day.

No prolonged mild spells or even excessive locked in weather.

So 5/10 (from coldie perspective)

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

normal winter here, very little snow, very little high pressure, mostly dominated by the Atlantic, cannot expect anything else really in a UK winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Seems you're in the minority Craig, most people going for middle two options not the rubbish option.

Also this winter didn't go out with a mild whimper, Feb was below average and the coldest month of the winter.

I suppose it depends what job you have some haven't go to use their boats ??

post-7914-0-29808400-1425222240_thumb.jp

Edited by stewfox

Posted
It has been an awful winter again with just 11 days of snow lying, at 9am,and a max depth of 6cm. Most of the days had just 1-2cm. The most shocking thing is that 4 of the past 9 winters had even less snow when a winter as rubbish as this should only be expected about 1 year in 5. 1997/98 had about the same amount of snow despite being one of the mildest on record.

Despite an exceptional amount of clear skies the number of frosts was only average with 33 in total but they were much more transient than usual with a pathetic lack of hard frosts. Other than the February high pressure spell I can recall few mornings when the ground was white with frost.

In my 10 years of records only 2007/08 and 2013/14 had a lower average duration per frost than this winter and only 2006/07 and 2013/14 failed to beat the pathetic absolute low of -4.0C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

It has been an awful winter again with just 11 days of snow lying, at 9am,and a max depth of 6cm. Most of the days had just 1-2cm. The most shocking thing is that 4 of the past 9 winters had even less snow when a winter as rubbish as this should only be expected about 1 year in 5. 1997/98 had about the same amount of snow despite being one of the mildest on record.

Despite an exceptional amount of clear skies the number of frosts was only average with 33 in total but they were much more transient than usual with a pathetic lack of hard frosts. Other than the February high pressure spell I can recall few mornings when the ground was white with frost.

In my 10 years of records only 2007/08 and 2013/14 had a lower average duration per frost than this winter and only 2006/07 and 2013/14 failed to beat the pathetic absolute low of -4.0C. 

bad for Aberdeen I suppose, similar to my winter, max snow around 5cms, smatterings through Jan, best period for me without doubt was boxing day to new years eve, 2 ice days in that, best frost for ages on morning of new years eve, coldest time of year, if Atlantic relents, the spell would be much less effective in Feb

Posted

It was definitely not a mild winter, we had many air frosts about 15 for my location is pretty good. Lowest minima -5.2C which is again quite good knowing the infulence of the UHI. 2 days of laying snow smattering a really about 1/2cm max on grass/branches, this Winter could have been decent if it was a little less marginal, days with snow falling 4/5. We did get a great synoptic for N Sea convection with -10c 850s to the far east, I think it was late January however pressure was too high - so suppressing any convection. I will rate it 5/10 and no more, bog standard tbh. It was a winter that promised so much, but produce was little.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Have had some good spells of lying snow here,just lacking the depth of snow but we have been very short of minima.A solitary -3 deg and a handful of -2's is pitiful for this location,we almost always get a -6 somewhere even in the snowless of winters [except 2013/14].Missed out on ice days too,i think there were 3 occasions where we had a max of 0 deg .Overall average 6/10

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

I have very low expectations of winter these days.

It was better than last year.

It snowed, um, once or twice.

We got to use our new woodburner.

At least some slugs might have got frozen.

Next year might be better.

I mainly voted satisfactory as so many happy lucky friends in Scotland and Northern England got the full works, skiing and snowmen and everything :-)