Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First 20c ! where and when?

IanR

Posted

In an average year the first 20 degree max is usually recorded by around md-late April. However, in a number of years its been recorded in March.

Here we normally have to wait until May, unless we see long draw southerlies or a high pressure overhead - March 2012 was exceptional though with a number of days when we recorded 20 degrees or more.. very unusual.

April 2011 even more extreme I think we had about 10 days at least with maxima at or above 20 degrees, many a summer month when we have failed to see such temperatures.

I think last year we just about squeezed out 20 degrees on 31 March, so in recent years we have certainly been blessed with some warm temps in March and April, 2013 not so though.. we had to wait until May.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The latest runs have my birthday favoured for our first 20c? Should we hold onto the HP then the days are getting long enough to allow sheltered spots to see high temps if the sun is out?

Posted

Would love a Spring with no 20C recorded, that would be exceptional and would be newsworthy unlike the first 20C which happens all the time in Spring.

May its normal to see a 20c I would want to see a 20c by that point as may can be a very thundery month.

Early may 1995 got upto 22c then a massive drop down to 3c max on the 17th. :cold:

Little thunder that month though.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Okay, I'll guess at Northholt next Monday...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Would love a Spring with no 20C recorded, that would be exceptional and would be newsworthy unlike the first 20C which happens all the time in Spring.

2013, been there and done that here, shockingly the first 20C day was also the first 25C day in the last week of June.

As for this year, 20th of March, in set ups like this we always usually lose the high to the east so I expect a very warm southerly to develop pre-breakdown. Location, lets say Heathrow.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
Don't normally see it reached until May here but April warmth is long overdue. Just had three April's on the trot fail to reach even 17C - the first time this has happened since the 1970s when there were a number of unusually cool April's.

Only just scraped 20C in May last year but wasn't reached until the last day of June in 2013 - the latest since 1932, which was the last time it wasn't reached until July.

Have a feeling it will struggle to get to 20C again this spring. Just seems a terrible era to be living in for any sort of extremes be it warmth or cold  :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

18th march, Gravesend Kent

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

25th April,Heathrow London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

April 3rd, Doncaster.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Okay, I'll guess at Northholt next Monday...

Whoops! :fool:  :fool:  :fool:  :fool:  :rofl:

Posted

I have a feeling its going to be  april now before anywere gets that magic 20 :nea: ,  well not here, quite confident of that, but I have been wrong before 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Co.Down saw 17.5C at the weekend, that's the highest so far in 2015, bit to go for 20C

Posted

I'm going for Lerwick, 27.8 18th June...

Only joking! I'll go for gravesend 20.3 6the April. Rekon it's only a matter of time before the high drifts East, leaving us wit a slack, long draw southerly/southwesterly.

Posted

well it looks like it will be sometime april before we even get into the teens here, apart from last saturday, march has felt cold here, with most days struggling to get above 8c 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Looks like those of us who predicted March were somewhat off.

Posted

25th April,Heathrow London.

looks like this could be the nearest one , most predictions have been too premature.  no sign of 20c days anytime soon 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Its probably an April fool at this range but GFS shows 20c getting hit next week

ukmaxtemp.png

Oh god, 18C here? YES PLEASE!

Posted

Its probably an April fool at this range but GFS shows 20c getting hit next week

ukmaxtemp.png

yes an april fool :rolleyes:   looks like our first 20c is going to be a while now,it will be at least may 15th for my neck of the woods  , a random guess , but would not  be surprised at this rate :lazy: