Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

had an intense hail shower about an hour ago, not exciting in itself if it wasnt for the size of the hail, big crack of thunder and lighting then marble sized hail for 5 mins, incredible stuff! Never seen hail so big, thought i was in kansas!!

Edited by Nicholas B
  • Like 3

Posted

Blackburn/preston lookslike more hail/snow/thunder going by bright echos on radar.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Blackburn/preston lookslike more hail/snow/thunder going by bright echos on radar.....

Yep Will, have probably a 2cm covering of hail, its not snow but its white so i will take it :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Nothing falling here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Nothing here. Preston seems to get the good stuff this time which is a change because it usually doesn't snaw up there.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Just got back from work. Been stuck on the A56 bypass at Accrington for about an hour because of the weather. The Police shut the road in both directions due to the snow and multiple vehicle accidents. several gritters/ploughs went past whilst we sat in stationary traffic. The road towards the M65 was in a real treacherous state.

Snowfall late last night which stuck to cars but nothing else. Got up about 5.30am for work and there was nothing. Opened my front door at 6am to go to work and it was like crazy!! Absolute whiteout everywhere covered and snow/hail flying everywhere in a driving wind. All main roads covered and drive into work to start with was tricky this morning. On/off snow/hail showers all day but just had another real intense snow shower which has covered everything again and had lightening earlier on.

Although every snow shower we have had has covered everything it hasn't stayed around for that long!

Are we hopeful of more snow tonight?

Edited by NW_Blackburn
  • Like 1

Posted

2nd day of spring and we've had more snowfalls than the whole of last winter. After yesterday's heavy albeit shortlived afternoon snowfall, awoke to lovely fluffy snowflakes giving a slight covering. The morning and lunchtime period dominated by more fluffy snowflake showers, but not enough to put down a cover.

The snowline is roughly 200-250 metres, the fells are cloaked white.

We've had a few shortlived hail showers this evening. Temp currently sat at 2 degrees and it feels very raw in the wind.

Won't be surprised to see further snow showers overnight and tomorrow morning perhaps giving another dusting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just clear skies and broken cloud here.

Irish Sea is gone asleep as usual.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Area of showers over southern ireland, celtic sea, southern irish sea are getting bit more organised and looklike what the beeb graphics are predicting for between 4-10am tomorrow for here....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Look at all that precip in the Midlands! Wonder how much is snow.

Posted

Look at all that precip in the Midlands! Wonder how much is snow.

None of it is the answer. Temps are 2-4C all over the area, with dewpoints 1-2C. This when there is snow over Ireland and winds from the west.... A dismal fail even for 2014/15.

Posted

1c dew -1c cloudy, hills to my west and north quite thick cover to my east nothing.... Kinder has a dusting, hills toward ashton direction have quite a bit.... Nature of showers.... Dusting here from light snow yesterday evening....

Posted

Nice to see the return of convective days , stuff going up around here :)...

Looking at tafs and xcweather.... A lot of convection going on over nw england.... Will anything come of it? Radar atm says no....

Posted

Looking at tafs and xcweather.... A lot of convection going on over nw england.... Will anything come of it? Radar atm says no....

There is some convection here but not as much as you think, infact it is largely clear for the south of the region.

Posted

Crystal clear blue skies here and cool and fresh, invigorating weather...country miles better than the inevitable cloudy, mild, stagnant nothingness set to arrive courtesy of high pressure in 3/4 days. The early to mid March cold window ruined yet again by sodding high pressure coming too early in the year. March 2012 repeat? Maybe, but I'll laugh my t**ts off if we consequently get an April 2012 repeat. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Crystal clear blue skies here and cool and fresh, invigorating weather...country miles better than the inevitable cloudy, mild, stagnant nothingness set to arrive courtesy of high pressure in 3/4 days. The early to mid March cold window ruined yet again by sodding high pressure coming too early in the year. March 2012 repeat? Maybe, but I'll laugh my t**ts off if we consequently get an April 2012 repeat. :D

I'll take a warm Spring if we can have a cool Summer. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

yeah, i dont like hot weather, want a decent spring, good that spring is arriving soon, but hot summers can stay away, 22C decent enough and dry, my preferred summer weather

Posted

That's the thing, Simshady - I wouldn't want a cool summer. An average British summer is fine by me in terms of temperature, and I'm not anti-spring warmth either - Just not in the first half of March, please. In my book it's simply too early, we are still in pre 6pm sunsets for goodness sake!