Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Yet another cock-up from the BBC forecast. 'Mainly dry' 'Largely dry'

3 hours ago "Apart from a few showers in eastern areas of UK - today is looking mainly dry but rather cloudy."

attachicon.gifviewimage (1).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (2).png

It might be moaning, but forecasts by them have been terrible of late.

Currently 6.2°C and raining.

Yes very poor forecasting today re the extent and local heaviness of the rain.

I concur, the most basic expectation for a short-range forecast is wet/dry and on this factor alone it is an epic fail.

Posted

And so begins Tuesday with rain and mist, after yesterday's dry and partly cloudy (yeah right) it was refreshing to see some rain this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very misty start with hints of brightness, perhaps a 'largely dry' day today?

Posted

Just posted this in the nature obs thread, but I'll repeat it in here as it was very exciting...

Spotted an otter this morning on one of the tributaries of the Avon. It's the first otter
that I've ever seen in the wild.

Chuffed to bits, but I think I need to invest in a better camera.

post-7340-0-57193200-1426587453_thumb.jp

post-7340-0-91371500-1426587474_thumb.jp

Edited by jtay
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Very misty this morning. There's some brightness now, it is helping push the temps up a bit. Currently 11.7°C

Posted

Just posted this in the nature obs thread, but I'll repeat it in here as it was very exciting...

Spotted an otter this morning on one of the tributaries of the Avon. It's the first otter

attachicon.gifIMGP0017_sm.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP0017_vsm.jpg

Fantastic John!

Much much improved day with hazy sunshine after a misty start, patches of Altocumulus and a pleasant 12.3c!

Posted

Fantastic John!

Much much improved day with hazy sunshine after a misty start, patches of Altocumulus and a pleasant 12.3c!

Cheers Andy. I've been walking that stretch early and late every weekday for the past 5 years thinking this would a great place for them. Finally...

Not a bad day here today, but not as sunny as expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Gorgeous day here on Tuesday and likely to be the same today and tomorrow (Thursday). Delighted we look to be in one of the best sports to see the eclipse based on cloud amounts on Friday too! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well captured, they are pretty much in every river system in the UK now. Might not please a few in the fisheries industry given the amount of competition for fish stocks but hopefully less damaging on the wider ecosystem than those dreaded Mink.

Remind us please, of the link of the Nature thread.  :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

8.3c currently, with abundant sunshine I expected it to be warmer, will it get to double-digits though? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Cold clear and frosty this morning, then I drove off mendips and it was dull and dank. Now brightened up though.

Posted

This morning brought the thickest fog for a long time, visibility for parts of my drive to Bradford On Avon was down to about 50m! However fog usually means clear sky once the sun burns through and since mid morning it has been glorious!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Glorious here, blue skies from the off!
Temp gauge has hit 13.3°C - It seemed high, so i went out in the garden with a hand held Kestrel sensor, and hung it up in the shade with a breeze on it for 10 mins. It was fluctuating between 13.2°C and 13.3°C - Not too shabby!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very pleasant spring day though the air quality is appalling. Drive down the M32 into Bristol earlier it looked more like Beijing lol. I'm kinda looking forward to a clearer airmass next week.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Frosty start here with mist, but sunshine all the way.  Max has been 12.3°C and felt very pleasant in the sun and out of the breeze, especially on the coast at Abbotsbury this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Funnily enough I've just had a conversation with my next door neighbour about otters. He's got a large pond, it was stocked with sizable koi, 26 of them apparently, now they're all gone - into the belly of an otter. I was sceptical at first, reckoning the local heron was more likely to be the demon eater but he swears he saw the otter. My response of 'you jammy begger, how lucky are you' didn't go down too well.... I've never seen one, hopefully one day I'll be as lucky as you and my neighbour.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Plenty of blue sky here this morning for viewing the near total eclipse of the sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Argh typical it's cloudy in Exeter, hope it clears in the next half hour!!

Cloud, sling your hook, be gone with you....It doesn look like it is trying to clear, I can see a tinge of blue behind the clouds :)

Edited by TwisterGirl81