Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Bit of a kick in the teeth really whilst we are bathed in the heady temps of -4 850's the Yanks in the north east have -24 850's to contend with http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015012418/gfsnh-1-150.png?18!! I for one am not getting my hopes up about this upcoming cold spell. Lots of cold rain i suspect away from the Scottish mountains. 

yeah, very wet for the South, could be a trend to bring low pressure closer to the UK/north sea, see what 00Z's bring, but maybe northerly cut off due to lows too close

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

numerous posts removed for being either off topic, posting in the wrong thread, or replies to posts that would be better served being reported....please think before posting,,,,,,ta!

Posted

Not as good as ECM 12z but at face value very good by looking at GFS it'll be hard to tell if it is very wet or snowy, any upgrades on the uppers and you would be looking at deep snow, nice viewing.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=150&code=0&mode=12&carte=1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Completly lost by this!! Contradicts what all the charts are showing?? Cold rain away from Scottish mountrains? Complete IMBY post if you ask me.

How does my post contradict what the charts are showing I just posted a chart showing -4 850's which will equate to cold rain for 99% of the pop of uk!! Nowhere in the entire 18z gfs run up to 180 does the temp get below -6 850's which from a maritime source will not deliver snow for lowland uk. 18z in high res is not a cold run!! In fact none of the model output is particularly snowy for the lowland uk. Im not saying it wont change but as it stands it isnt a snowy picture. 

Staggering cold into the CONUS http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015012418/gfsnh-1-210.png?18!!! -32 850's that is killer cold usually reserved for eastern siberia. Dont think ive ever seen that before such cold at such a low latitude. A true Continental Climate!!

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted

Not much change on the 18z with a large-scale trough establishing over Scandinavia and in no particular hurry to move. :)

post-2839-0-57443900-1422138909_thumb.pn

Posted

Better aplificaton but GFS having none of the ECM's much colder 850's pre 192hrs. I suspect FI may be decent...

gfsnh-0-204.png?18

(edit; The Vortex looks to be gesturing 'COME ON THEN'.... perhaps in response to warmings :D )

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

How does my post contradict what the charts are showing I just posted a chart showing -4 850's which will equate to cold rain for 99% of the pop of uk!! Nowhere in the entire 18z gfs run up to 180 does the temp get below -6 850's which from a maritime source will not deliver snow for lowland uk. 18z in high res is not a cold run!! In fact none of the model output is particularly snowy for the lowland uk. Im not saying it wont change but as it stands it isnt a snowy picture.

Are you ignoring the low thicknesses because they will certainly help matters in that respect.

• Like 3

Posted

Yes the charts are promising but away from the scottish highlands and north sea facing coasts it will be essentially dry.

gfsnh-0-228.png?18

This could very well be a 2/3 day northerly toppler, which I'm pretty sure is about to come on this run so caution will be very well advised at this stage.

• Like 1

Posted

Tomorrows ECM as well as tonight's UKMO will be interesting, they seam slightly more severe in terms of cold and to be honest sound more in line with the METO medium range. This place could be V busy if they are the same as today, around 20 pages today and still 600 people at 2250

• Like 1

Yes the charts are promising but away from the scottish highlands and north sea facing coasts it will be essentially dry.

gfsnh-0-228.png?18

This could very well be a 2/3 day northerly toppler, which I'm pretty sure is about to come on this run so caution will be very well advised at this stage.

Yeah thats how i see it, not sure where people are getting very wet for the south from, thats not what you get from Arctic Northerlies, most people will get beautifully crisp clear blue skies.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Are you ignoring the low thicknesses because they will certainly help matters in that respect.

Can't yet see the figures for the 18z but wet bulb fl temps were fine throughout most of the latter part of next week, along with dewpoints even though 850s were higher than might otherwise be needed, rising up to -4 at times. 850s alone are a poor predictor of snow potential.

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 1

Posted

Tomorrows ECM as well as tonight's UKMO will be interesting, they seam slightly more severe in terms of cold and to be honest sound more in line with the METO medium range. This place could be V busy if they are the same as today, around 20 pages today and still 600 people at 2250

What time does the UKMO come out? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

What time does the UKMO come out? 

4 AM

I'm not going to get involved but some odd comments re the output IMO. (not you)

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted

Yeah thats how i see it, not sure where people are getting very wet for the south from, thats not what you get from Arctic Northerlies, most people will get beautifully crisp clear blue skies.

Yes, too right. I see people cherry picking a few charts from +180 hours showing kinks and possible disturbances giving POTENTIAL snowfall, but experience tells us that atleast 9/10 northerlies are bone dry away from the favoured areas (scottish highlands/north sea coasts.)

The only exceptions I have seen to this rule is when you get those magical -10 uppers right down the UK, I find with these colder uppers blowing down our relatively warm north sea really does boost convection towards the coast (with a greater risk of a few making it inland), at this point the temperature and dew points are that low, you only need to catch one or two rogue showers and you get instant accumulations, with no melt in between.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I'll wait till the morning for that one!! I keep asking in here for the times! How do I find them on the forum :)

UKMO 4 AM, 4 PM

GFS 4AM, 10 AM, 4PM, 10PM

ECM 6AM, 6PM

Take notes.  :wink:

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted

Staggering cold into the CONUS http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015012418/gfsnh-1-210.png?18!!! -32 850's that is killer cold usually reserved for eastern siberia. Dont think ive ever seen that before such cold at such a low latitude. A true Continental Climate!!

There is even a -40c 850 temp just north of the Great Lakes area. They'll not need to quibble about thickness, dew points and marginality.

gfsna-1-198_ako1.png

• Like 5

Posted

The initial WNW'ly looks pretty potent too me and with those low thicknesses there is bound to be snowfall away from areas that are close to the Coast, of course the flow gets more modified as mild sectors come into play but Wednesday into Thursday has certainly got potential too see lying snow quite widely across Ireland/Northern Ireland, South and Western parts of Scotland, Wales, and parts of NW England. 

I got to say, the GFS evolution is different to the UKMO/ECM so i'm a little skeptical at this moment in time with what its showing and in all fairness, I probably would prefer the UKMO/ECM set ups, looks safer too me than the messy GFS

What happens after that will probably depend on how much of an Atlantic ridge we get, it would be nice to get a true Northerly so we can tap into that more significant colder air, no doubt tomorrow runs will give another day of drama. 

• Like 3