Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted

Don't worry about FI, its better to have the colder synoptics develop  slowly than have a great FI which downgrades with time.

Given the early changes and events of the last week do you honestly expect there to be no more changes? We're lucky that the models are improving in the earlier timeframe which builds a better chance in the medium term.

Predictive text error

• Like 2

Posted

GEFS could be interesting this morning.would be good to see a few pull some colder uppers into the mix. The earlier suite had plenty of easterly influence but we were feeding off scraps in terms of the upper profile. If the pattern backs any further West though a tipping point could quickly be reached.

Edited by Jason M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

gfsnh-10-384.png?6

Hot up in there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

And the control run is almost a carbon copy of the OP.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=192&code=0&mode=0&carte=1

Posted

I have a question on the modelled output we have this winter. In marginal events such as we have would the result say 40 years ago be any different to what we are currently seeing ? . What I am thinking is if we had an identical pattern then would the temperatures be lower?. January CET average 1961-1990  was 3.8c whilst 2001-2014 is 4.7c i.e substantially warmer. I appreciate different  synoptics are possibly the main cause?  but is there an element of 'warming' in the output difference between the two. Its a question that bugs me when we get patterns like this. Cant help but feel that if it was 1960 todays rain in the south might have been snow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

gfsnh-10-384.png?6

Hot up in there.

Hi I only know a little bit about start warming, would that chart lead to the vortex being displaced from greenland .

Posted

Remarkable shift these last couple of days from the models, after they made the shift 2 days ago to almost end our chances of snow. ECM and GS both keep it going until t192, UKMO not quite as good but a small shift west and we would be good.

Still no early warning for Tuesday's snow from met office?

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 1

Posted

I wonder whether we're seeing some response from the GFS in relation to the MJO signal.

We're now seeing yet another divergence of opinion, the last MJO forecast for the GEFS took this into the COD but then some members bring this out quickly into phase 8 and then phase 1. The bias corrected are less bullish about this but the other models initially weren't even interested in phase 7 and were wrong as the MJO although at lower amplitude did make it into that sector.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Yet another undercut from an atlantic attacking low pressure. Run to run we are slowly getting there!

gfsnh-0-222.png?6

And retrogression towards eastern Greenland beautiful chart with vortex pushed west and southeast tracking jet don't come much better than this if it pans out this way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

By Thursday am, we now have this projected (the best so far for the south?)

96-780UK.GIF?18-6.............more great charts appearing all the time! :)

worth a gander through some of these!

gens-4-1-264.png

gens-4-0-288.png

Edited by stratty
  • Like 4

Posted

Deleted! for some reason if I try and edit by adding attachments I get logged out!

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I have a question on the modelled output we have this winter. In marginal events such as we have would the result say 40 years ago be any different to what we are currently seeing ? . What I am thinking is if we had an identical pattern then would the temperatures be lower?. January CET average 1961-1990  was 3.8c whilst 2001-2014 is 4.7c i.e substantially warmer. I appreciate different  synoptics are possibly the main cause?  but is there an element of 'warming' in the output difference between the two. Its a question that bugs me when we get patterns like this. Cant help but feel that if it was 1960 todays rain in the south might have been snow.

You can of course look at historic charts and look at synoptics and CET comparisons etc 

However so many variables I do wonder that increase+  sea temp abnormalities may modify marginal situation which is the case for next week for many.

post-7914-0-22326500-1421581443_thumb.gi

Posted

I wonder whether we're seeing some response from the GFS in relation to the MJO signal.

We're now seeing yet another divergence of opinion, the last MJO forecast for the GEFS took this into the COD but then some members bring this out quickly into phase 8 and then phase 1. The bias corrected are less bullish about this but the other models initially weren't even interested in phase 7 and were wrong as the MJO although at lower amplitude did make it into that sector.

Indeed and this is why I remain cautious:

GEFS:

NCPE_phase_21m_small.gif

However GEFS BC much more in line with ECMWF consensus:

NCPE_BC_phase_21m_small.gifECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

Ultimately last time I think we ended up with a solution half way between the two, but in terms of the exact placement of the OLR anomalies GEFS did indeed end up closer to the mark.

So plenty to keep us guessing!

SK

• Like 2

Posted

I'll try again heres the MJO forecasts for the GEFS and ECM:

GEFS

post-1206-0-70207500-1421581516_thumb.gi

ECM

post-1206-0-55603500-1421581527_thumb.gi

The GEFS does take some members into a decent amplitude phase 8 and 1, these generally correlate with a colder pattern for the UK during the current ENSO conditions during the winter season.

Lol! Snowking thanks , you beat me to it, it will be interesting to see if the update early next week starts moving the bias corrected more towards the normal GEFS.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Don't worry about FI, its better to have the colder synoptics develop  slowly than have a great FI which downgrades with time.

Given the early changes and events of the last week do you honestly expect there to be no more changes? We're lucky that the models are improving in the earlier timeframe which builds a better chance in the medium term.

Well founded post Nick models certainly find these setups difficult most likely because of the very nature that the uk is not an area these day we associate with extreme wintry weather what with the boundary between the east and the boundary with the west we are often in the middle and this is often chaotic for the models extra factors in the uk include Azores and being that we have the alantic Ocean to.

But there was mention yesterday of possible mjo signal to move into 8/1 but also phase 6 which if I remember rightly is supportive of high latitude blocking Id of also thought recent minor warnings in the stratosphere is now starting to pile on pressure on an already weakened vortex.

And feb is a month when changes to a more block signal are more common than not although we're still in jan of coarse.

Certainly nice to look at but be better to see support this evening from other models.

• Like 1

Posted

Well founded post Nick models certainly find these setups difficult most likely because of the very nature that the uk is not an area these day we associate with extreme wintry weather what with the boundary between the east and the boundary with the west we are often in the middle and this is often chaotic for the models extra factors in the uk include Azores and being that we have the alantic Ocean to.

But there was mention yesterday of possible mjo signal to move into 8/1 but also phase 6 which if I remember rightly is supportive of high latitude blocking Id of also thought recent minor warnings in the stratosphere is now starting to pile on pressure on an already weakened vortex.

And feb is a month when changes to a more block signal are more common than not although we're still in jan of coarse.

Certainly nice to look at but be better to see support this evening from other models.

NCEP do a weekly update and interestingly a few weeks back whilst the Euros and others bar the GEFS  were indicating phase 6 then the COD,  NCEP continued to suggest phase 7, the next update is due tomorrow but I think they factor in both dynamical modelling aswell as statistical and I think the latter is what made them edge towards the GEFS solutions.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/forca.shtml

That shows the three statistical methods and their forecasts, not as bullish as the GEFS but all take the MJO into phase 8 with the CA model into phase 1.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Brilliant 6z, the cold spell never stops. 

More interestingly though, the Euro mean suggests that Friday's front will be a dud. There's always the chance it will be held further west as well..

Reem1442.gif

Looking at the GFS it seems that it has a stronger low over the Med than post models which may or may not be the case but the important low for our long term prospects i think is the low exiting Canada at day 5. The slower and weaker this is, the longer our cold spell goes on. 

If we look at NAVGEM for example (has the weakest low) then it never really phases with the primary low over Greenland and may have more chance of heading into Europe.

Rnvg1201.gif

Rnvg1441.gif

• Like 1

Posted

i dont care nick, because there was no scandi high modelled earlier, it was expected to sink into central europe and the jet was heading scandi-bound. its a move in the right direction , and imho based on experience this is a crucial time..... and remember, i DONT want to see a beasterly, i just think theres a good chance of one...

let me illustrate...

attachicon.gifRrea00119860130.gif looks familiar? (jan 30 1986)

todays attachicon.gifRtavn961.gif

by feb 8th 1986.. attachicon.gifcold.gif one of the bitterest febs in recent times (if nearly 30 short years is recent lol)

ok, its not a law that similar synoptic patterns follow the exact same evolution. but they often do follow similar evolutions. as a 'non cold fan' im worried!

Lol! if you're worried then that's a positive for us coldies! Given the overall pattern there is a chance especially given the MJO discrepancy but easterlies are a pain to verify. As most people would testify to in here given the last week. We'll see how it goes over the next few days but I wouldn't be too worried Mushy for the timebeing. I don't really want to ramp up any sort of easterly because we need a lot to go right to get there. The trend today is interesting but given recent model volatility its whether this gathers pace or hits the buffers again.

• Like 6

Posted

Lol! if you're worried then that's a positive for us coldies! Given the overall pattern there is a chance especially given the MJO discrepancy but easterlies are a pain to verify. As most people would testify to in here given the last week. We'll see how it goes over the next few days but I wouldn't be too worried Mushy for the timebeing. I don't really want to ramp up any sort of easterly because we need a lot to go right to get there. The trend today is interesting but given recent model volatility its whether this gathers pace or hits the buffers again.

I don't know why but the gfs 6z often throws out amplified runs only for the 12z to burst our bubble.

Posted

I don't know why but the gfs 6z often throws out amplified runs only for the 12z to burst our bubble.

If you're going on just trends then theres more appetite to disrupt more energy se'wards, I suspect the GFS 06hrs run is going with the more favourable MJO signal.

Normally I would be more sceptical but its that MJO divergence of opinion which means that the GFS 06hrs run in terms of trend hasn't just been plucked from one of its fantasy solutions catalogue, there is some basis for it. But its a long way out and again I'll stress to newcomers don't bank on an easterly even with cross model agreement until this is shown within T96hrs, preferably I go with the T72hrs because if it can go wrong it will with an easterly!

By easterly in that sense one which could deliver deep cold and snow showers, a slackish easterly which could still happen briefly within T144hrs is a different scenario.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1