Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How bad is your snow addiction ?

stewfox

Posted

Now I would never watch that ever, have no interest at all, but all have preferences

Actually even though I rated myself a 10 I don't get excited about snow in far away lands either. In fact I can get a bit jealous like when the eastern USA had loads of snow in Winters 2013-14 and 2014-15 while we got next to nothing.

In fact unless it's in my back garden and the surrounding region I don't want to know. Although my preference is of course a good nation wide event and don't like to see anybody left out. You just can't beat snow at home though. I think it's great when it snows in the UK, especially when it settles on buildings that were around in snowier days and are so old to have experienced many a classic winter. Like it's the return of an old friend. It gives them a Dickensian look and reminds me of 'A Christmas Carol'. Let's all pray for Winter 2015-16 to be one to remember for all the right reasons.

Edited by WALSALL SNOW

Posted

Surely Leeds would be a safer bet than here in lichfield? It's not got bad height asl either.

Yes I did look at Sheffield uni but the course at Leeds is more suiting and I guess deciding a course on the weather at the uni isn't a good idea haha

Just to clarify I'm not excited by snowfall in other countries, I just enjoy watching it around this time of year and imagining if that severity of snow came to England... That's what excites me

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I was seeing someone from Stockport at the time of the 09/10 event and I can tell you now I think I'd have preferred that event than that of Dec '10 if I lived there too! I remember her struggling down here early Jan '10 and me being shocked that there was still a solid foot of snow iced on to the top of her car when she got here, never seen anything like it. There was about 3cm lying here!

It was an unbelievably potent streamer event and it still cuts me up that I missed it all by about 12 miles!

Did you tell them to drive back take some pictures and then come back ?   :whistling:

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

Surely Leeds would be a safer bet than here in lichfield? It's not got bad height asl either.

Yes I did look at Sheffield uni but the course at Leeds is more suiting and I guess deciding a course on the weather at the uni isn't a good idea haha

Just to clarify I'm not excited by snowfall in other countries, I just enjoy watching it around this time of year and imagining if that severity of snow came to England... That's what excites me

I've always thought snow really suits Lichfield though being a very old little city with many old buildings and its cathedral, meaning its kept alot of its character, unlike many British towns and cities these days. Although the high street is full of modern shops. I'm sure those old buildings have seen a lot of snow in their time. I hope Winter 2015-16 delivers them alot more. Edited by WALSALL SNOW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Did you tell them to drive back take some pictures and then come back ?   :whistling:

I missed a trick there obviously!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I've always thought snow really suits Lichfield though being a very old little city with many old buildings and its cathedral, meaning its kept a lot of its character, unlike many British towns and cities these days. Although the high street is full of modern shops. I'm sure those old buildings have seen a lot of snow in their time. I hope Winter 2015-16 delivers them a fair bit more.

More to do with elevation, he lives at 216m asl in gentleshaw, snow will lie in town centres if it's high enough, but not this crap place at 81m asl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

One of the things I really want to experience is lake effect snow!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Am not sure on the figures but I would guess there would be little difference between where you are  now and Leeds,you being just south of the peaks and Leeds being just east of the pennines which only gets reminents of precipitation after the pennines for the majority of the time.What about Huddersfield,it is sat in the hills and just a couple of miles up the road you are over 300metres!!

Posted

More to do with elevation, he lives at 216m asl in gentleshaw, snow will lie in town centres if it's high enough, but not this crap place at 81m asl

Yes but snow can even lie at sea level if the conditions allow it. It's happened before and will happen again. Let's hope that Winter 2015-16 gives us all deep crisp lying snow with massive drifts. That would be fantastic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Actually even though I rated myself a 10 I don't get excited about snow in far away lands either. In fact I can get a bit jealous like when the eastern USA had loads of snow in Winters 2013-14 and 2014-15 while we got next to nothing.

In fact unless it's in my back garden and the surrounding region I don't want to know. Although my preference is of course a good nation wide event and don't like to see anybody left out. You just can't beat snow at home though. I think it's great when it snows in the UK, especially when it settles on buildings that were around in snowier days and are so old to have experienced many a classic winter. Like it's the return of an old friend. It gives them a Dickensian look and reminds me of 'A Christmas Carol'. Let's all pray for Winter 2015-16 to be one to remember for all the right reasons.

In 'A Christmas Carol', the dreadful future for Scrooge foretold by the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come is cast against a backdrop of dismal rain. In contrast, Ebenezer's path to redemption is laid out when he awakens to a fresh covering of snow. Yes, Britain's foremost novelist was a snow ramper and avid gas lamp watcher. 

We are the descendants of the peoples of Ice Age Britain; our ancestors chose to live in the cold.  :cold:

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Haha, can't say this didn't cross my mind when choosing, although I didn't let it sway me in the end! I definitely can't place myself as a 10 it seems.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Put it this way, I'd have never have entertained the idea of going uni or living down south. Purely for the reason of a lack of winter snow (generally). I'm a pure 10 on the scale.

Posted

Put it this way, I'd have never have entertained the idea of going uni or living down south. Purely for the reason of a lack of winter snow (generally). I'm a pure 10 on the scale.

Reading was appalling for snow. I thought the NW Midlands was bad but central southern England is even worse! Can't imagine where I am now is particularly great either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Reading was appalling for snow. I thought the NW Midlands was bad but central southern England is even worse! Can't imagine where I am now is particularly great either.

the NW Midlands must be the worst, get snow but even massive snowfests are limited to 15cms, where over foot elsewhere

Posted

the NW Midlands must be the worst, get snow but even massive snowfests are limited to 15cms, where over foot elsewhere

In my experience C-S England was even worse. Easterlies never seem to have enough oomph, it's completely sheltered from northerlies, usually tend to be on the wrong side of marginal in "battleground" situations. Naff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I wonder if people who live in Arid climates have a similar thread about their rain addiction?

Im a 10, if it snows I will constantly look outside to see if it is melting or gathering up. I would be really sad when the snow melts, but be happy when it is snowing. I hate the idea of living in a place that gets no snow.

Posted

Definitely a 10. Whenever I think of a uni I might want to apply to, the first thing I search is how much snow the area gets... Have ruled out Oxbridge purely down to a lack of snow - think I'll stay in Scotland! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

Central scotland really did get a pasting along with most in 2010, but since - so aggrivaing! so close on a few ocassions but nothing but mild mush since.  If we cant have snow, that at least some cold and frost with clear skies, anything but mild and boring!

• Like 2

Posted

I'm definitely a 10. If I get really desperate I fly to Norway for a snow fix.  I have driven from London to the Scotish Highlands for a fix many times!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I'm not addicted to anything weather thankfully, I think if I was I'd probably be in need of a shrink. I mean there are more important things in life...

I am addicted to snow, the chase of snow on models, storms, tornados and again the search of such weather types on models. My wife sometimes thinks I am mad, but many people are about their hobbies, and that is certainly not worthy of suggesting that they need to see a shrink. There may be more important things in life I agree, but there are far worse things to be addicted to than the weather...

• Like 6