Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible storm/wind event - 9th December onwards

Skullzrulerz

Posted

Storms are fleeting though. For single weather events I'm pretty sure gales have claimed more lives than say individual snowfall events.

47 died in the Burns 'Day storm, 20 odd in the January 1976 storm.

I was talking about the season as a whole, a cold winter will kill many more than a mild one,  even if its a stormy one like last year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

i really want a big big storm

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

We all love the extremes that our weather can show, I know I certainly do, but no one wants any sort of return to the misery of last year's run up to Christmas and early this year. Yes, the death toll was mercifully small, but the economic and human costs were tremendous, with some people still unable to return to their damaged homes and businesses decimated. This is a time of year when a lot of people are on the move shopping, travelling to relatives, going on holiday - last year before and after Christmas it was just very stressful for people not knowing whether they could get where there needed to go. Let's be careful what we wish for...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Gales, snow

Looking interesting too early to get excited about. Plenty of upgrades and downgrades to come yet. Will get excited on Monday evening if it's still there.

Lets hope it keeps upgrading. :yahoo:

Posted

We all love the extremes that our weather can show, I know I certainly do, but no one wants any sort of return to the misery of last year's run up to Christmas and early this year. Yes, the death toll was mercifully small, but the economic and human costs were tremendous, with some people still unable to return to their damaged homes and businesses decimated. This is a time of year when a lot of people are on the move shopping, travelling to relatives, going on holiday - last year before and after Christmas it was just very stressful for people not knowing whether they could get where there needed to go. Let's be careful what we wish for...

Whilst I sympathise what last years deep lows done to those people, I think if your an weather enthusiast and like severe weather then surely you should hope for an deep Atlantic low to hit,  thus I do find it surprising how many people want this deep low to "downgrade".

The deep low looks likely to form though, there is quite strong agreement on that, the question will be on the detail, its still in the medium term so IF/WHEN it arrives, what form will it be in by the time its get here. 

Can't do much about mother nature so as an enthusiast, you may aswell try and enjoy an potential weather event like this one.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some interesting weather possible at the moment the GFS seems to be upgrading. I think the best time to get a handle on it is Sunday evening and Monday morning.

We can't stop the weather but we can advise our family and friends about the possible dangers. At the end of the day people die and suffer in all walks of life should climbers stop enjoying the thrill of climbing because someone unfortunately fell for example?

• Like 2

Posted

Clashes with quite high tides ,another danger people need to be aware of ....

we  all know what happened  down the east coast last year!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Clashes with quite high tides ,another danger people need to be aware of ....

Yes, somewhat high, but not as bad as if the potential storm was 2 or 3 days earlier. Hopefully a storm surge won't be a huge issue (fingers crossed) There are also pretty high spring tides (bigger than next week) due for a couple of days either side of Christmas Eve. Hopefully the weather will become calmer and cold by then. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I should have added that the highest tides in this cycle are on Sunday and Monday. They then lessen gradually over the next week or so.

Unfortunately my post was somewhat IMBY, in that it looks like any storm tide issues wouldn't be before Thursday, in the North Sea, looking at the current charts. Big waves would likely impact western areas a day earlier.

• Like 1

Posted

This mornings 00 oz pushes it all further north so on this run nothing of interest here but still very lively further north. The next run can of course push it all further south once more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

This mornings 6z GFS increases the wind field to include more of the south and the centre of the low has moved a little more south, just slightly to the north of Scotland.

Loooking forward to some interesting weather finally.

Posted

The UKMO's looks to have the deepest and tightly packed isobar low pressure system out of the 3, ECM clearly looks the less severe thats for sure. 

Too early to mention it in TV forecasts but there is the potential for quite severe gales in the middle half of next week, one is hoping the UKMO is closer to the mark than the ECM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Morning Everyone,

My wife and I are going on a cross channel ferry from Dover to Calais on Friday (12th) and enquire what the latest thinking is with regards to sea conditions for around midday. My wife is not particularly good on boats!

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted

Good Morning Dave.

Meteociel have the NOAA NWW3 wave and sea state model to have a look at forecast heights, swell and period. Detail will change at that timescale but may be of use.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/nww3_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0&carte=2&archive=0

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Good Morning Everyone,

My wife and I are going on a cross channel ferry from Dover to Calais on Friday (12th) and enquire what the latest thinking is with regards to sea conditions for around midday. My wife is not particularly good on boats!

Kind Regards

Dave

Swap to Eurotunnel. We gave up on the ferries years ago after too many barf bag trips even in summer!

Posted

Todays runs show a brief windy spell moving south during late Tuesday mainly effecting the north west northern and north eastern Uk with gusts into the sixties away from these areas nothing to get excited about upper 40's. Western and North west Britain have a windy spell from Wednesday into Thursday with winds into the 60's lively in eastern areas but nothing to get excited about again. However we may see the odd wintry shower Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Morning Dave.

Meteociel have the NOAA NWW3 wave and sea state model to have a look at forecast heights, swell and period. Detail will change at that timescale but may be of use.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/nww3_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0&carte=2&archive=0

Thanks for your reply. It does not look too bad.

Kind Regards

Dave

Thank you 

Swap to Eurotunnel. We gave up on the ferries years ago after too many barf bag trips even in summer!

Unfortunately we do not have a choice. We are on a 4 day coach trip to the German Christmas Markets.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

That's some swelling for Wednesday (40ft+), cheers for the link BurntFishTrousers. :)

post-20399-0-61670400-1417906736_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Tuning back into UK weather ahead of another Christmas visit in 10 days' time.  Let's hope this doesn't herald the start of a repeat of last winter, but it's a very interesting system.  Here's the 48-hour NWS Ocean Prediction Center analysis:

https://twitter.com/NWSOPC/status/541503844153581568

Edited by Chris W

Posted

Thanks for your reply. It does not look too bad.

Kind Regards

Dave

Thank you 

Unfortunately we do not have a choice. We are on a 4 day coach trip to the German Christmas Markets.

Kind Regards

Dave

you  might  have  to get  her  some sick bags!!!