Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

more Davis issues

Posted

hi

My Davis stopped sending data to both the envoy and console. Changed battery in the outside part. Seemed okay with both. A couple of packets of data lost this early morning then ok when I went out. Discover when returned that most 30m inputs were not being received so checked the battery was fully inserted, took both the power lead and ? part with the logger on, left 10m then re inserted but 30m later nothing. The system seems to be trying to update but nothing is showing on my screen.

any idea anyone please?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

What do the battery levels say? Got a feeling of a blown super cap.

Posted

thanks both

4wd

If it is that then no thanks I'll make do with previous types=max/min thermometer into a receiver inside but thanks for covering that aspect.

it is a Vantage Pro 2004 I think?

re Pit

Where does it tell me the battery level readings pse?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

If you're using the latest weatherlink it's on the summery page

Posted

silly comment, of course it does but shows inside data only and not sure where you want me to look Pit?

post-847-0-32149700-1416589566_thumb.png

this page?

post-847-0-74826700-1416589708_thumb.png

I have no idea why they all show offany ideas pse?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

has anyone any ideas that might help please?

Davis suggested download weatherlink 6.0.3=did that, did walk though, still nothing from outside arriving?

ayone able to help please?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Sorry John gave you the wrong location. From the screen shot of the battery status and if you are using a wireless envoy you should have two batteries showing. First of lets check the transmitter id's then put the ISS into test mode http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/iss_Manual_revB.pdf pages 12, 13

I would also move the cover of the iss to check for water ingress and a blown supercap. A blown supercap is easy too see as the contents will have pushed out from the device. A blown cap is fairly easy to do anybody can do it with a soldering iron it only gets hard due to dodgy eye site. :)

Posted

dodgy eye sight=me but no signs of that when I looked carefully yesterday.

Just re done with 6.0.3 and set up new station and done walk through and nothing showing from outside so will do the test as you suggest, coffee first though, and thanks for getting back to me.

Posted

which am I supposed to be checking on Pit, I have the envoy by the side of the pc and the console in my lounge?

can anyone else help as Pit seems to have gone AWOL?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

You need too go to the iss itself and check whether it transmits.Destruction's will be in the link I gave.  Since neither the envoy or console can detect the ISS that suggests strongly that the ISS is at fault.

I've been out most of the last two days.

Posted

I will try that sometime today if it stops raining, odd thing when I looked at the envoy this morning it has a full set of data on the Summary including a forecast at the bottom. But when I look at the month there is no data whatever after about 20/21st??

Not sure what is happening.

post-847-0-96895900-1416986938_thumb.png

Posted

It will be interesting if it updates the records after midnight tonight. What do you see when choose browse weather data? It should show some data and also at the far the iss reception.

Posted

The version 5.3 has shown no inclination to do anything for several days. The 6.0.3 does intermittently for the summary only-currently it has nothing on that other than internal readings (T&P) and rainfall is still showing, none of the other readings accessible at the top, daily, monthly, yearly etc have any entries.

All very odd but hopefully I can find switch 4 and see if that triggers any reaction either on the ISS or on the receiver (supposed to show an x ? bottom right when it transmits is that right)?

Davis has suggested I may need a new transmitter, gawd knows how much that might cost. The odd thing at times if I am on the pc I can see it trying to send 513 packets of data, then nothing to show for it.

oh well, 'tis only a weather report, maybe I should go back to manual T and R data?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

You can't have two weatherlinks running unless you got two consoles plugged in or you're using virtual vp to share one port between two programs.

Are you using the vp1 still?

Posted

I switch one off before the other and that works fine, no idea which model, the books just say Vantage Pro, no number after anything.

Posted

I switch one off before the other and that works fine, no idea which model, the books just say Vantage Pro, no number after anything.

How old is it?

Posted

2004 or 2005

nowt shown today in spite of taking power off and the data thing off for 30-40 minutes, at least yesterday I got some data; it still, at times, suggests it is trying to download data, the usual 513 packets.

Unable to get a good look underneath today so still no wiser re the switch 4?

Posted

Finally got to the switch 4 and doing as requested changed nothing. Still the ISS tries to output data, 513 packets being sent but never arriving in either the console or the envoy. So I am going to take the ISS down, bring it inside, and start from the initial set up again to see if anything happens. In the meantime back to basics with max/min wireless readings and manual rainfall. No idea how close or distant they are of course from the last 16-17 years of Davis data!

Posted

I would try another weather program as a test as well. Try Sandysoft cumulus very easy to setup for testing unlike weatherdisplay.

Posted

I have taken the ISS down and brought inside to test out the various bits before re assembling and testing again; that is when it is a bit less cold!

I suspect I am going to be ditching it though. Odd that every now and then it has been 'sending' 513 packets of data but not arriving anywhere. Perhaps the ISS is okay, and as you infer Pit, the problem is in the receiving. Unlikely though as neither the console nor the envoy have shown anything.

Posted

If it's sending packets then I can't see there being two faulty receivers unless one is being used as a repeater to transmit the data to the other console. No reason to do that though as use two consoles in normal mode.

Posted

I am lost as to just what the issue may be. I have the console downstairs for a quick view of data with the envoy sat at the side of the pc upstairs to input data on to the pc. There are times, whilst at the pc, I see a message saying data is being transferred, the 513 or whatever packets as it tries to update but then nothing to see! So any ideas please why this is, what the fault may be. How do I test the envoy for any problems please?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Try posting your issues in here John they may be able to assist:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=59.0