Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Today Bute Park weather station hit 5c and Cardiff Bay barrage hit 5.7c. It's just way too warm out there.

wp_ss_20160116_0027.thumb.png.1cc7bbc448 wp_ss_20160116_0028.thumb.png.c0b3de8141

Posted

Monday AM front does what we want it to but still too mild for any sniff of snow for majority of us good folks on here. No evidence at all, but I have a feeling that there's more to come this winter despite the demise of El Nino.

Edited by gareth moo

Posted

I see nothing but cold between now and wednesday/thursday - so there is still a chance with all this frontal activity that someone is gonna get pasted with snow - I think we'll be looking at a nowcast event from tomorrow afternoon onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
16 minutes ago, andymusic said:

I see nothing but cold between now and wednesday/thursday - so there is still a chance with all this frontal activity that someone is gonna get pasted with snow - I think we'll be looking at a nowcast event from tomorrow afternoon onwards

Your optimism is admirable but this so called cold spell has been one massive fail, at least here...one miserly poxy air frost and over two inches of rain. Expecting nothing now, so wont be disappointed....especially given whats gone on today.

• Like 3

Posted

I get the impression from the 18Z and Met Office text update that some of us, especially inland and with elevation, could see some falling snow within the next 24-36 hours but the chance of a widespread, disruptive snow event looks like it's diminishing.

Knowing me I'll probably stay up until the 00Z rolls out and knowing you lot, those of you with common sense, you'll be fast asleep and forgetting that this underwhelming cold spell is even happening.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Jackfrost said:

I get the impression from the 18Z and Met Office text update that some of us, especially inland and with elevation, could see some falling snow within the next 24-36 hours but the chance of a widespread, disruptive snow event looks like it's diminishing.

Knowing me I'll probably stay up until the 00Z rolls out and knowing you lot, those of you with common sense, you'll be fast asleep and forgetting that this underwhelming cold spell is even happening.

Well must say it did get down to -2. 4 c for one night here ' so fair play the Met had it bang on for this Cold spell (NOT) 4 Wales . Never mind though as its now 2.0 c and i just walked all the way from Newport City to the Coldra with just a T shirt on , got a taxi then to my home . very mild to be honest ' so what ever computer systems they are running or looking at are 90% Crape . Buy a Aldi weather station Met Office ' it tells the real Temp and Possible real event that what is going to be in our Weather .

Posted

Hi all my first post for a long time been very busy and fed up with wind and rain, we did have some snow on high ground the other day but what is happening to our winters guys? What's the reason for such mild? Yes its a little colder last few days with a tiny amount of snow for some of us on high ground. But looks like we may very well see winter pass again  without winter really happening.nights are getting much lighter now and looks like by weds or Thursday we going back to mild weather. That could be the end as within 2 weeks the days be much longer. I know we have in past had snow events in Feb and even march but normally it's during Jan we get the real cold winter weather.

Just be nice to have cold sunny days for a few weeks,then a scorching summer, sorry all i just slapped  myself to wake up I forgot we only get this horrible rain.

Be nice to know why our winters have become so mild and wet. Is it globel change or any other reason?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Currently 7.3c here and looked like it rained over night, is it expected to get colder before the front moves in tomorrow or stay milder?

Posted

it may be game over for the initial push of the front over wales although some hills i still think are gonna get it - but the cold looks like it wants to come back west starting tomorrow night and into all day Tuesday with the front stalled over us - so still a period of snow to look out for

gfs-2-30.png?6

gfs-2-42.png?6

gfs-2-48.png?6

gfs-2-54.png?6

gfs-2-60.png?6

Posted

Given up on this not cold spell. Another 4.2mm of rain in the last 11 hours to add to the 2+ inches of rain which has fallen in the last week. It's been a complete bust. Will be glad of some milder weather ( am I really saying that?)

Rating for the spell - 0/10 I would have awarded a point for the solitary air frost but the spell has been too wet and lousy for me to feel that generous.

Grade F - must do (much) better.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 2

Posted

This winter so far does make the one 10 years ago look like a real classic,even 1988/89 was better than this and that's the first time I`ve said that on here,still time yet never give up, as this slider low does look like bringing in this cold air back in from the SE/east the magic direction.:cold:

Later tomorrow it will turn back to snow,temps on GFS shows 3/4c at 6am.

Currently 2c with drizzle and fog.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

A lovely 7.1c here. Fair play this has to be one of the worst winters I've been alive to see. I don't care much about snow anymore just bring in HP so we can have some of the desperately needed dry weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Just been up the beacons and it's raining.......... I can't believe people were calling this a cold spell!! Yet again it's just been average winter weather, cold rain unless stated u were high up and where we're the fine dry crisp days??? Are these models any better than they used to b cos as far as I can c they r no better now than years ago. Rant over but getting bored of all this over hyping of cold spells

• Like 3

Posted

Makes me laugh when I read comments like "so when's the next cold spell". Hopefully if it's as poxy as the limp effort we've just had, it's going to be long delayed...say next year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

This week has been a real let down for most of us, but I can't help thinking after all these near misses we have to strike it lucky soon.

Eternal optimist? Maybe, but Winter's not over yet.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Clair_Witch said:

This week has been a real let down for most of us, but I can't help thinking after all these near misses we have to strike it lucky soon.

Eternal optimist? Maybe, but Winter's not over yet.

8 - 10 weeks yet if you count March too

• Like 1

Posted

crikey - if nothing else today we've had the "hound of the baskervilles" hard to see anything low cloud/FOG - up here today - really nasty

and it was a little warmer this morning but temps have dropped again this afternoon

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Certainly don't think it's the end of the winter. El Nino has pushed our winter back six weeks or so, and all experts tend to think February will be the coldest of them all (not much competition I know.) Wouldn't call this a cold spell. We had a cold Friday and a frost. That's been it. But nevertheless it was so close to being a lot more exciting. It's always the case with us living on these islands- it takes so many factors to come together to produce snow and cold. With the lack of embedded cold, anything other than a direct northerly or easterly was going to be marginal to say the least.

Anyway, there's still half the winter to go, plus March, which on average produces a hell of a lot more cold than December does for us. December 2009 and 2010 spoiled us. We'll see some continued attacks on the polar vortex, potentially with a SSW and a reduced El Nino. I'm sure there will be chances for some cold along the line. And with less residual heat in the seas around us, hopefully things will be less marginal.

Chins up! Winter is only just getting started!

Edited by RhysWales
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted

I don't think the nonsensical "coldest spell since 2013" hyperbole helped matters in truth.

March 2013 delivered 30cm+ of lying snow to my low lying (80m asl) location Pretty impressive stuff you've got to admit.  The kind of snow depth that was a regular occurance when I was a kid living in one of Wrexham's higher level villages.

Lets take a look at the "coldest spell since 2013" and see it for the rubbish it truly is.

Lying snow? - No. Falling snow? (for clarity I mean proper snow, not slushy rubbish which might as well be rain) - No. Ice days? - No. Air Frosts? - One.....ONE!!!

Epic Fail right there ladies and germs.

Move on...nothing to see here.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted

Beacons mountain forecast - another dumping on the peaks it seems

Monday 18th January

Cold and wet during the morning with snow falling above 500 or 600 metres, perhaps reducing down to 400 metres by the afternoon. 8-12cm fresh snow accumulation likely over peaks. Moderate east or southeasterly winds during the morning, easing during the afternoon. Precipitation easing by dusk with dry, increasingly clear and frosty conditions likely overnight with widespread ice forming.

met office goes for above from early morning on the beacons and euro 4 goes for rain???????????????????????????????????????????

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Mo 18.01.2016 06 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Mo 18.01.2016 12 GMT

Edited by andymusic

Posted
14 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

I don't think the nonsensical "coldest spell since 2013" hyperbole helped matters in truth.

March 2013 delivered 30cm+ of lying snow to my low lying (80m asl) location Pretty impressive stuff you've got to admit.  The kind of snow depth that was a regular occurance when I was a kid living in one of Wrexham's higher level villages.

Lets take a look at the "coldest spell since 2013" and see it for the rubbish it truly is.

Lying snow? - No. Falling snow? (for clarity I mean proper snow, not slushy rubbish which might as well be rain) - No. Ice days? - No. Air Frosts? - One.....ONE!!!

Epic Fail right there ladies and germs.

Move on...nothing to see here.

Theres been no cold easterly since april 2013,cold zonality last January but for wales low ground its like January 1984 it won`t get much.

Tomorrow later should see some falling snow but looks like petering out,as for this its been a modified cold snap,pretty poor in general.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
On 16/01/2016 at 1:01 PM, andymusic said:

here you are Carl - just to prove there is some snow in Wales - the beacons

Penyfan.jpg

Yep and the black mountain nr Brynamman

DSCF3166.JPG

DSCF3156.JPG

DSCF3118.JPG

• Like 1