Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

OK, I've taken a look at what the ECM was predicting (as polar lows are 'now-casting' systems which normally lack any modular prediction whatsoever) and what is being shown on the satellite imagery is significantly different. In brief, it is a polar low, but not one that's going to end up in the textbooks. Its track looks like it will hit parts of western Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales.

Edit: oh, and NW England (before I get in trouble!)

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Looking at the satelite history.It does seem to be moving slightly east with every step southward. Who knows it might just scrape cental Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms,cold, heatwaves.

Precipitation bands to NW definitely rotating and looks on course for SW Scotland. Wind light here now temp.1.5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looking at the satelite history.It does seem to be moving slightly east with every step southward. Who knows it might just scrape cental Scotland.

I thought at first it was marginally further east than forecast but hard to say on closer inspection, I suspect the extent of convective activity to its east means that even if we don't get the real deal then central, western and southern areas will at least get some snow out of this

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Apparently (according to the MT or it might have been the polar low thread, not sure)Ian Ferguson tweeted that it is a polar low?

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

When you animate the Radar the trajectory of that precipitation is SE'wards, similar to last night. Looks as if it's heading towards Central Belt and Southern Scotland to me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon fellow Happy Kilties! My, haven't we been busy on here? Some crackin' pics in there. I must get the camera out tomorrow before the snow disappears! No further snow to report here at home, but there were some very hefty showers in Portree today. Then the sky cleared. Then the car park froze! Saw a 4x4, ar*e in the air in a ditch this morning, and there was I pootling along in my ancient Golf nae borra at a'! Clouding over again here, but I doubt we'll see the amounts of snow that other parts of Auld Scotia has seen.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Here is the post from the MT #1579:

Posted 38 minutes ago

frosty ground, on 29 Jan 2015 - 16:16, said:snapback.png

Polar Low's do not have warm sectors...... O that's my understanding....... Surley it's just a regular feature..... 

Much as I dislike quoting IF - he is calling it a polar low, and if an official forecaster and an FRMetS is, then I will too! This is exactly the kind of meso scale event that are not picked up by the models.

• Like 2

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/rainfall-radar#?map=SatelliteIR&fcTime=1422507600&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.50

It does look like it takes a definite eastwards push on the last couple of frames.

Posted

Minus 1 at the momment took a quick pic also this is in westwood in ek Have work to do tonight here. Also 4wd quattro is great. I bought a old land rover 4l v8 discovery couple of months ago which is epic in the snow. Must say audi feels just as good :)

post-704-0-24291100-1422553256_thumb.jpg

Edited by scott_anthony_glasgow

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

In Edinburgh a lot of the snow melted this afternoon. Just got back to Grangemouth and pleasantly surprised that not much has melted. Temp 0.3/-2.6

Posted

Raintoday radar shows the "blob" heading SE, but I expect the usual Snow Shield to prevent any getting to Edinburgh from the West/NW.  Northerlies tend not to deliver too, so warnings for everywhere else, and we may well miss out.

Posted

Lovely winter's day with slight melting in the sun. I'm surprised to hear of a polar low to our NW - wherever it hits it should bring a lot of snow although it looks unlikely to affect much if the central best but SW Scotland could do very well.

Posted

Looks like that polar low is going to hit Ayrshire going by the latest meto forecast. The question is will it be snow that falls? Or rain?

Posted

That little low is still edging slowly South East but my gut feel is the it will just miss the majority of Central Scotland. The next 30 mins should answer the question.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms,cold, heatwaves.

Temp is just above freezing. Looking at intensity of ppt hopefully will be of snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Does anyone know if any snow is forecast for the Gordon area anytime soon? Only had a couple of centimetres overnight, and a lot of that has melted now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

That little low is still edging slowly South East but my gut feel is the it will just miss the majority of Central Scotland. The next 30 mins should answer the question.

Aww we can't catch a break :( I WANT SNOW :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Looking good on BBC1 just for snow next few hours for SW and Central Belt, but I won't get my hopes up.

Posted

What a day of snaw here in Aberdeen - thick flakes, lying deep, traffic gridlock, snowmen galore, sledging heaven - then I woke up to more clear skies & no signs of the white stuff! :D

Edited by Richard Taylor
  • Like 8

Posted

Looking good on BBC1 just for snow next few hours for SW and Central Belt, but I won't get my hopes up.

The forecast did look good but unfortunately I think the radar shows the snow missing much of the central belt although parts of Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway could do well.