Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Lincolnshire - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Can deffo see a good covering on the higher pennines towards Meltham/Peak district. Just had wet snow here at 162masl-not a hope of it sticking but nice to see! 

Can you put your location in your Avatar. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Yep total let down - as usual!!!

I was up at 2am, 5:30am and 7am and nothing :(

As far as i could see, the radar showed most showers moving west to east, not south east so I dont think we got the northerly element.

BBC made it sound like we'd see snow, so id like to know what went wrong.

VERY dissapointed this morning. Thats it now I think for a while. ECM is still poor so no more real cold air this week....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, lightning, wind, frost, any extreme

Yep total let down - as usual!!!

I was up at 2am, 5:30am and 7am and nothing :(

As far as i could see, the radar showed most showers moving west to east, not south east so I dont think we got the northerly element.

BBC made it sound like we'd see snow, so id like to know what went wrong.

VERY dissapointed this morning. Thats it now I think for a while. ECM is still poor so no more real cold air this week....

what went wrong was you belived what the BBC said! You would of been better of reading a few of the forums about the snow chance. It was only ever forecast to be marginal at best if you saw any showers! Don't worry it's only the beginning of winter there will be lots more chances for disappointment. Myself I don't belive will see any decent snow untill after Christmas here in the Yorkshire unless you are of a decent elevation or are nearer the north.

Posted

Indeed, last night was always marginal at best. However, we're still early into winter, and the models aren't exactly a disaster show at the moment... Plenty of positive signs.

Posted

I do think that the BBC nowadays always say things are going to be worse than they end up being, that way the public then think they have got away with it. Something ive noticed over recent years.

Anyway, yes still very early days!

Nice and cold today mind, the wind is bitter. Feels like winter at least :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms. Big ones.

It's out there if you're willing to get out there and look for it. I decided to take a bit of a spin earlier to try and find some of the white stuff. Mission accomplished.

Ribblehead Viaduct

YKfYgkhs.jpg

Buttertubs Pass

nRbHqVPY.jpg

d1hiDf0s.jpg

WwOL3w44.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Winter of 79-soz to be thick but not sure how to do that? I'm in the highest bit of Longwood.

Posted

hi guys and gals, hope those that have seen snow enjoyed it, dont think it will be hanging around for long  lol.  met office forecast for here tomorrow have temps of 4c at midday and 10c at midnight, guess this chilly spell is comming to an end, lol

Posted

It looks like a very very brief warm up sparky, so were OK. It will feel cool most of this week. temps rise Tuesday evening but after midnight they then fall again straight away. rest of the week looks cool.

Still a chance of back-edge snow maybe on Friday?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

All well just some sleet this morning then dry.

Posted

It looks like a very very brief warm up sparky, so were OK. It will feel cool most of this week. temps rise Tuesday evening but after midnight they then fall again straight away. rest of the week looks cool.

Still a chance of back-edge snow maybe on Friday?

I wouldn't get any hopes up for Friday yet. Probably best to forget about it until the day really! 

But as you say, a cool down will follow a brief warm up tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

I find that the best guide to establishing whether it is going to snow IMBY or not is the local 'mountain' forecasts.

Peak District here...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/mountains/peak-district

Yorkshire Dales here...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/mountains/yorkshire-dales

If its not going to snow 500 metres up a hill it won't be snowing at my elevation!

Looking at the current forecasts it looks unlikely we will see much in the way of the white stuff away from the hills this week but it looks seasonal nonetheless and far better than this time last year.

Wrap up warm folks as that wind will feel bitter!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

What's happening on Wednesday night, GFS is insistent. 

Is it showers or something more organised.

• Like 1

Posted

OIdly enough the skies over Leeds this morning had the snow glow kind of look! Let's hope something comes off for us this week every little chance so you never know.

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

yes they do have the brown look about them today dont they. I think its cuz the upper air is always cold this time of year but it doesnt always mean snow on the ground.

Still talk about possibily seeing something Friday, we'll have to wait and see....

Posted

yeah very gusty up here now. Winds are set to strengthen too. Its going to be one of those snugly nights where you lay in bed listening to the wind and rain outside :)

• Like 1

Posted

Leeds Bradford airport is reporting snow now, perhaps the scowline will drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Well the forecast for today and tonight looks hopeful for at least some of those in our region seeing some falling snow if nothing else. This on the met office website for Yorkshire & Humber;

Today:

A very cold feeling day with some sunny intervals and squally, wintry showers, these occasionally heavy. A covering of snow is likely on hills. Very windy with gales in exposed areas, perhaps locally severe gales over the Pennines. Maximum Temperature 5 °C.

Tonight:

Continuing windy with further squally wintry showers giving snow in many areas. Feeling bitterly cold with a frost forming in places and risk of icy roads. Minimum Temperature 0 °C.

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

beautiful day here today, sunny skies, slight breeze which is making it feel cooler than it is, forecast is pretty dry for here for the next few days, chilly but not cold, temps between 4c and 7c between now and sunday, looks like the real cold is still someway off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow
2-5cm possible at lower levels on Friday; Yellow early warning of snow From: 0010 on Fri 12 December To: 1000 on Fri 12 December
Updated 15 minutes ago

A weather system will cross to the south of this region early on Friday. This will bring rain to many areas but snow is likely over some of the higher ground, such as the Pennines and Southern Uplands, and rain may turn to snow at lower levels before it clears eastwards. The snow may be heavy in places, possibly giving 2-5 cm at low levels and maybe 10 cm or more above around 200 m. Following clearance, there is also the risk of widespread ice on untreated surfaces in time for the morning rush hour.

The public should be aware of the potential of disruption to travel and also of hazardous driving conditions. This is an update to the warning issued on Tuesday to move the risk of snow away from the central belt of Scotland and into northern England.

:clapping::cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

First winter since moving down into Huddersfield, gone from 310m to 145m, and the difference is incredible, as in, very very boring. Gales have become stiff breezes, and snow has become cold rain/sleet. How have all you 'lowlanders' survived on such meagre rations ???

• Like 1