Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Medicane?

Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2854&cm_ven=tw-jm

I remember previous 'storms' but yesterdays events passed me by?

Will we see more of these as times move on and global temps increase? 

• Like 1

Posted

Jeff Masters had an interesting blog about this "Medicane" on Wunderground:

http://dutch.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2854

Certainly an interesting system. The system developed quite unexpectedly (at least I hadn't heard of anybody expecting the system beforehand).

According to phase diagrams from Florida University, the system was just shy of attaining a warm core, as can be seen below:

14.phase1.png

Phase analysis of the low pressure area (Medicane) which made landfall in Sicily yesterday (as of 06Z). The C indicates the current position of the system.

If the system would have crossed the border toward the red area, it could have been designated as a tropical or subtropical system.

Sources:

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/gfs/fcst/archive/14110806/14.html

http://dutch.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2854

Posted

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2854&cm_ven=tw-jm

I remember previous 'storms' but yesterdays events passed me by?

Will we see more of these as times move on and global temps increase? 

It looks like a typical absurd attempt to link any potentially damaging weather event to 'warming', and claim it will be surely be *worse* in the future.

• Like 1

Interesting - we had two fairly vicious systems recently - the first affected Southern France circa 26.08.2014 where 6 inches of rain fell at Capestang and 12 inches at Montpellier - the weather continued unsettled for the following week but centred more to the east around Arles with continued flooding.

Then the next time we caught it was when the ex tropical storm hit the UK about 20.10.2014 - we left for Rhodes on 22.10.2014 and the winds were already strong on landing but we were finally hit by the torrential rain on the evening of 24.10.2014 - it was this same ex tropical storm which had followed us. This was not the same type of thing which you described since it was originally a tropical storm which decided to take a cultural tour across the UK and Europe down to the Med.

As for the one in France, I am not quite sure but it seems that from time to time a low gets stuck in the Med, often centred in the region of Corsica brining quite severe storms and flooding to south eastern France and northern Italy.

Some years ago the region of Narbonne was struck by a south easterly accompanied by heavy rain - the combination of the two caused the River Aude to back up and flood to the extent that a nearby village, Cuxac was flooded to a depth of 2 metres - there was some loss of life with this one.

Since then they have built extensive flood defences around this village.

I remember that in Geography at school (some 55+ years ago) I was taught that the Med can be subject to violent storms.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Scaremongering

A rare "Medicane"--a hybrid storm with characteristics of both a tropical storm and an extratropical storm--formed over the South Central Mediterranean Sea on Friday

nothing to see here, move along.

• Like 1

Posted

I don't get it? we seem to have two distinct posters on this thread? One set pulls up data and comparisons and the other is totally dismissive of the extreme? Southern France appears to have suffered a series of extreme flood events in close succession along with the other areas of the Med, who seem to have been faring quite badly over summer/autumn?

On a 'weather' site I'd have thought that we were all drawn to the extremes that nature throws our way yet recently there appears to be a group of us hell bent on trying to show these 'extremes' as nothing more than 'run of the mill' events?

What has suddenly become so wrong with noting these extreme events?

• Like 2

Posted

I don't get it? we seem to have two distinct posters on this thread? One set pulls up data and comparisons and the other is totally dismissive of the extreme? Southern France appears to have suffered a series of extreme flood events in close succession along with the other areas of the Med, who seem to have been faring quite badly over summer/autumn?

On a 'weather' site I'd have thought that we were all drawn to the extremes that nature throws our way yet recently there appears to be a group of us hell bent on trying to show these 'extremes' as nothing more than 'run of the mill' events?

What has suddenly become so wrong with noting these extreme events?

Nothing at all GW but you will no doubt have noticed that those who start palpitating when certain extreme events are posted virtually dislocate digits on the keyboard in their haste to post extreme cold events.  I of course put this down as a pure coincidence.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

Nothing at all GW but you will no doubt have noticed that those who start palpitating when certain extreme events are posted virtually dislocate digits on the keyboard to post extreme cold events.  I of course put this down as a pure coincidence.

LOL !

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I don't know if it's related but my Aunt and Uncle in Greece have for 2 years running had some hurricane like weather beyond a normal winter storm. Huge flooding, houses collapsing, trees down, power out sort of stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I was on holiday for a week in Majorca in September 1996. Laughably horrendous weather; gale force winds for a couple of days, thunderstorms for 4 days, chilly and only one fine weather day. I was pretty peeved at the time, but only recently read that a medicane was the cause, so quite happy about it now.  :D