Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2014/2015

Posted

Evidently, glosea 5 predicted no technical SSW would take place back on the 27/12 (Ian just tweeted this).

Assuming that we see some amplification week 2, I wonder if the strat vortex will remain weak enough to suffer quickly from the trop waves that are driven up into it. As was clear from yesterday's wave charts, there is precious little in the next 10 days and that takes us to mid month.

Berlin charts repaired and current. Anyone find anything of value post the current warming ?

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Evidently, glosea 5 predicted no technical SSW would take place back on the 27/12 (Ian just tweeted this).

Assuming that we see some amplification week 2, I wonder if the strat vortex will remain weak enough to suffer quickly from the trop waves that are driven up into it. As was clear from yesterday's wave charts, there is precious little in the next 10 days and that takes us to mid month.

Berlin charts repaired and current. Anyone find anything of value post the current warming ?

I suspect that there were sufficient ensemble members at around that time suggesting an SSW for early Jan though, to not totally rule it out until now.

• Like 1

Posted

Can someone post timings of SSW's in say last 30 years. I believe there have been cold periods in winter that have occurred without a SSW.. it is only one factor in the mixing pot so to speak.

What this winter is doing is just adding further confirmation of how our weather remains unpredictable and no matter what signals may be suggesting - it will do as it wishes and continue to surprise and catch us out, its why it is so fascinating as well as very frustrating.. but as others say it wouldn't be if computers could predict the UK weather.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Further warming in the Greenland locale showing on the 06z at 10hpa

gfsnh-10-384.png?6

normal caveats etc, but one to watch perhaps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Parallel disagrees with the OP in FI.

Para 

gfsnh-10-384.png?6

OP

gfsnh-10-384.png?6

Although it's clear that the strat has suffered a tremendous blow on the para at least at 10hpa.

EDIT: 6z just steeped its game up with a possible split.

803767408fd6221107c23ca8c376227a.png

7ae7b7715482caa30865a4a1fbe1cd2b.png

d9e2328b2d0550eb58e0187db84e6b25.png

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 1

Posted

I suspect that there were sufficient ensemble members at around that time suggesting an SSW for early Jan though, to not totally rule it out until now.

Agreed, If anything the information release from the Metoffice gives us a better insight into how good a model Glosea 5 is and that their working knowledge of the Stratosphere is of big interest to the MetO.

The impression given is that they knew since December that it would not evolve into a SSW but only released that information now as event was 100% clearly not going to happen.

Even with Fu Berlin data not updating most recognised this also to be true and the timings of complete confirmation were equal.

Posted

Wave 2 beginning to strengthen in the upper strat by day 10. Now evident in the day 10 heights chart as the nw euro high and n pacific high begin to 'pinch' the vortex which is based nw hudsons and extending towards siberia. The mornings ECM data slightly more agresive on this than yesterday's run.

• Like 3

Posted

What's your personal view on a SSW occurring this Winter Blue?

I feel we have missed the boat, but that the normal late Winter warming may give a very cold March.

• Like 1

Posted

Far off gfs modelling continues to promote a vortex split (EC day 10 wave 2 consequence?) with the Siberian side master and n greeny daughter. I suppose if this does verify (broadly) then the question will be

A) how far displaced west of greeny can we get the daughter and can we get the split in the right place to break the Atlantic train and retrogress the euro heights

b) is the strat still going to be conducive to trop/strat close coupling? If so, we could reap any benefits almost immediately in the trop.

Long way to go though.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

b) is the strat still going to be conducive to trop/strat close coupling? If so, we could reap any benefits almost immediately in the trop.

Long way to go though.

I guess its not just coincidence that current PV split seems to be directly connected to the deep trop vortex over Canada bringing brutal cold there and parts of the USA atm. Hopefully further breaking waves indicated will weaken the polar vortex even more next time to split it more favourably, or, ideally, displace it away from Greenland toward N Russia but maintaining the coupling with the trop.

The fact that there are signs of the PV being further compromised to a more weakened state by futher wave breaking is a great leap forward to the position we were in last year with the record strong PV.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted

The fact that there are signs of the PV being further compromised to more weakened state by futher wave breaking is great leap forward to the position we were in last year with the record strong PV.

I knew the PV was especially strong last year, but hadn't realised it was literally the strongest ever recorded. 

As a matter of interest, how is PV strength measured? And and which point of Winter 2013/14 was it at it's most potent?

Bish

Posted

I knew the PV was especially strong last year, but hadn't realised it was literally the strongest ever recorded.

As a matter of interest, how is PV strength measured? And and which point of Winter 2013/14 was it at it's most potent?

Bish

I think I meant to say extreme PV rather than record, as I can't substantiate such a claim! Wrong words to describe sometimes slip out this time of day!

It was responsible for bringing record cold to the USA though

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Bish

That is a good question for which someone could probably calculate some sort of total vortex potential and kinetic energy.

But taking a simple measure such as mean 60°N zonal wind speed for the 6 levels of the MERRA dataset (10,30,50,70,100 and 150mb) then the peak vortex average last winter occurred on 23/12/13 at 32.91 m/s.

However, this ranks only a middling 17th strongest of 36 winters in the dataset.

4th in the list was winter 2008/9 which peaked on 11/1/2009 at 38.9 m/s - 13 days later there was a major SSW.

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather events and always love snow

so if last winter 13/14 strat polar vortex was 17th strongest by average wind speed through the layers at 60n, then where does this years 14/15 rate currently? and i wounder if there is any correlation between strength and possible disruption when strong warmings occur?

cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

The 150hPa average windspeed from the Merra dataset is averaged out across the whole of the NH and doesn't take into account the fact that any prolonged or repeated hemispheric winter pattern could leave a significantly higher than average sector alongside a significantly reduced sector elsewhere in the hemisphere.

Posted

so if last winter 13/14 strat polar vortex was 17th strongest by average wind speed through the layers at 60n, then where does this years 14/15 rate currently? and i wounder if there is any correlation between strength and possible disruption when strong warmings occur?

cheers

The research shows that you'll get a bigger response if you have a strongly positive AO at the time of the warming.

It's logical in that sense because if you think of the PV as a pile of dynamite, theres more of that when its very strong, so any explosion caused by a SSW will be greater.

The propogation generally becomes weaker as you go from a positive AO to negative AO.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted

I remember a time when the two graphs below would have caused great excitement on this thread,with those temperatures shooting up over the pole.

post-2839-0-22574900-1420620785_thumb.gipost-2839-0-38271300-1420620788_thumb.gi

I also remember a certain Mr Holmes would predict a cold spell about 25 days after a big spike in 30 hpa temperatures....

• Like 3

Posted

Just my two pennies worth but everything I've looked at of late gives little support to a SSW event anytime soon now. To quote the above "missed the boat" does come to mind.

This winter, for me, is rapidly becoming more frustrating than last winter because this time last year the weather we were having was, essentially, expected and all tied in with the extreme vortex that developed last winter.

I guess it just goes to show that no matter how strong certain signs can be for the winter period, no-one really knows what will happen and I think we are being shown that this year, at least so far with the likes of the OPI and SAI indeces rapidly becoming increasingly 'incorrect' if that's the best way of putting it.

I guess next winter you won't be making any predictions or issuing an LRF? :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers /snowy winters

I guess next winter you won't be making any predictions or issuing an LRF? :)

If you could point me in the direction of matts LRF it would be appreciated .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

I remember a time when the two graphs below would have caused great excitement on this thread,with those temperatures shooting up over the pole.

attachicon.gifpole10_nh.gifattachicon.gifpole30_nh.gif

I also remember a certain Mr Holmes would predict a cold spell about 25 days after a big spike in 30 hpa temperatures....

Is this now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Is this a current SSW going on?  I had in my LRF a SSW for early to mid Jan.  A 25 day lag sets us up for beginning of Feb which is my timing for deep cold to set in.  Having said that December never materialised so confidence is waned somewhat. 

BFTP

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

This looks very significant....so is this not going to impact us in any way??? Or is this is why the US are getting very cold??