Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

I can't believe how much colder the nights have become Maybe due to having so many warm nights in the last few weeks it feels worse then it is I'm tempted

I checked for last year's and you started it on September the 8th so almost a month earlier this year. Stop wearing t-shirts you softie ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So how warm is it in peoples houses this evening?

It's early evening but the temperature is 18c at the moment which is fine but drop it to 17c which it might do later and unless you jog around the house it does start to feel cool.

I have one of those met office temperature gauges in lounge which states that 18c is okay for bedrooms and 21c is ideal living room temperature etc.

Below 18c it says turn up your heating! In winter it constantly says danger of hypothermia! :cold:

post-8911-0-95368100-1407953698_thumb.jp

Edited by mullender83
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

23°C in most of my rooms. The heating didn't go on until December last year and hopefully it'll be like that again. I saved a large sum of money when my Winter gas bill came in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

So how warm is it in peoples houses this evening?

It's early evening but the temperature is 18c at the moment which is fine but drop it to 17c which it might do later and unless you jog around the house it does start to feel cool.

I have one of those met office temperature gauges in lounge which states that 18c is okay for bedrooms and 21c is ideal living room temperature etc.

Below 18c it says turn up your heating! In winter it constantly says danger of hypothermia! :cold:

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifmet-office.jpg

I want one of them for the office for the eejit that keeps turning the cooling "down" to 24oC and heat "up" instead as he feels 'cold' when the rest of us cook in shirts yet he is too vain to put on a jumper as it may hide his 'cool and expensive' some brand shirt we have no interest in.

Posted

Its still 22-23C in our house at the moment so it'll be quite a while yet.

I'm surprised to see this thread open already, I can only speak for here but we've yet to have a min temp below 10.7C this month and every day apart from two have had maxima above 20C.

Its usually the second half of October to early November when the central heating goes on in our house unless its unusually cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

It's 22-23c in most of the rooms, and we've had some windows open from about 5.30pm, just closed them all now though.

No heating yet, and I'm hopeful that the loft insulation I installed this March is going to do the job of keeping us warmer when the weather turns colder.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

18.6c here in my living room and 14.2c out, I may have a fire later to keep Mrs Maritime happy..

Posted

If you have a house with proper insulation it's a different world to those of us in older properties.This is a solid stone built farmhouse there is no cavity just a considerable thickness of wall with rather rubbley infill.It stays cool in summer especially downstairs, but takes a lot of heating to keep it anything near comfortable.The mass of the walls acts like a storage radiator and it is preferable to keep feeding heat into it before it gets too cold or it becomes much more difficult to warm the rooms at all.In the days before high-efficiency stoves linked into central heating most of the house was all but unusable for weeks at a time through winter.One open fire kept a living-room more or less tolerable.It was grossly inefficient because most of the warm air gets drawn up the chimney and that air was replaced by chilly draughts through ancient sash windows and poorly fitting doors!During seriously cold weather an electric heater or super ser portabe gas fire was needed even to keep that one room warm-ish.This was the norm in most UK houses until central heating and at least rudimentary insulation started to become the norm during the 1970s.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

19c in and 13c out so getting a bit chilly, we get cool nights here even in Summer, several nights around 7c this month already, and some cooler ones to come looking at the charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

No way far to warm still got windows open on a night, loving the cooler weather though hoping it stays that way with slow descent into autumn. Also liking the darker evenings.

• Like 2

Posted

If you have a house with proper insulation it's a different world to those of us in older properties.This is a solid stone built farmhouse there is no cavity just a considerable thickness of wall with rather rubbley infill.It stays cool in summer especially downstairs, but takes a lot of heating to keep it anything near comfortable.The mass of the walls acts like a storage radiator and it is preferable to keep feeding heat into it before it gets too cold or it becomes much more difficult to warm the rooms at all.In the days before high-efficiency stoves linked into central heating most of the house was all but unusable for weeks at a time through winter.One open fire kept a living-room more or less tolerable.It was grossly inefficient because most of the warm air gets drawn up the chimney and that air was replaced by chilly draughts through ancient sash windows and poorly fitting doors!During seriously cold weather an electric heater or super ser portabe gas fire was needed even to keep that one room warm-ish.This was the norm in most UK houses until central heating and at least rudimentary insulation started to become the norm during the 1970s.

Just to add to that... single glazed aluminium framed windows :cold:  :closedeyes:

We had the insulation looked into last spring but it turns out that because our cavity walls had some of the first insulation put into them when it was first introduced it tends to perish over time making them less efficient,  while making it hard to re-insulate them with better stuff now.

My landlord wont put in double glazing unless we want to have a large increase in monthly rent so they are staying for now and on top of that it is a converted bungalow so roof insulation cannot be put into whats left of the loft space because there isn't room.

All of this leads to a very cold house indeed which is why we are already dropping into the high teens and then in winter frost on the inside on less used rooms and windows.

Luckily I have a 12 tog duvet in place with an extra 5 tog one to go over the top later, have even worn my long johns to bed in those severe cold spells in the past. Some people say is it worth it? why not move and my reply to that is its a 4 bedroom house with 2 acre garden and padock plus stable and garage for £450 a month..

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Just to add to that... single glazed aluminium framed windows :cold:  :closedeyes:

We had the insulation looked into last spring but it turns out that because our cavity walls had some of the first insulation put into them when it was first introduced it tends to perish over time making them less efficient,  while making it hard to re-insulate them with better stuff now.

My landlord wont put in double glazing unless we want to have a large increase in monthly rent so they are staying for now and on top of that it is a converted bungalow so roof insulation cannot be put into whats left of the loft space because there isn't room.

All of this leads to a very cold house indeed which is why we are already dropping into the high teens and then in winter frost on the inside on less used rooms and windows.

Luckily I have a 12 tog duvet in place with an extra 5 tog one to go over the top later, have even worn my long johns to bed in those severe cold spells in the past. Some people say is it worth it? why not move and my reply to that is its a 4 bedroom house with 2 acre garden and padock plus stable and garage for £450 a month..

you get what you pay for after all then?

Posted

here that kind of space is a bargain at that price

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Turning the heating on in AUGUST is unthinkable. It's warm enough down here (Brighton, East Sussex) at the moment.

Think I'll wait until at least October.  

Edited by snowwatchGB
  • Like 2

Posted

Turning the heating on in AUGUST is unthinkable. It's warm enough down here (Brighton, East Sussex) at the moment.

Think I'll wait until at least October.  

It's utter madness, akin to sunbathing in January. August is never,ever cold or even remotely chilly - it's all relative, even the coolest August day in the UK known to all of humanity can only be relatively so. Bonkers, totally bonkers but some people say it's just me reckoning to be a hard nut and beating my hairy chest. Honest, you gotta laugh.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted

Well this morning it was overcast, windy and 11.1C which sounds not unlike a December morning, especially in the south. 

Posted

I think we all need to remember that we are all different with regards to heat sensitivity. It is scientifically proven that women are more sensitive to cold than men, for instance. My brother in law doesn't feel the cold at all, and can sit in very cool conditions in a T shirt, even sweating slightly, while the rest of us (men and women) find it chilly.

Similarly, older age makes us more sensitive to cold. Most young people can tolerate anything, where older people get cold very quickly, even at not especially cool temperatures.

And then there is the type of house you live in. If it's old and draughty, as 4wd said, you need the heat on earlier or the cold just gets embedded, especially if you live out in the countryside. Living in the town or city is much warmer in the winter times; around here that temperature difference can easily be 4C or 5C . We've had multiple nights under 10C this month, and as low as 6.7C on Tuesday this week. The house soon cools down when temperature are that low through most of the night.

• Like 2

Posted

I remember ice on the toilet bowl & inside on the windows before we had central heating :) I hope this year doesn't start early, we have no radiators at all as due to a total house renovation they've all been taken out. It's like living on a building site. The wind blew the temp roof off on Sunday which was "fun"! It's supposed to be cooler this weekend....

Still, it's stopped the thermostat wars with the wife!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Our house stays very warm, but hubs out the heating on for a spell the other day.

Posted

It is scientifically proven that women are more sensitive to cold than men.....

There y'go -  by inference my tolerance of cold and intolerance of warm just shows how macho I am. That alright for ya 'cheese'? How's the knitting/flower arranging etc going? My ma-in-law is such a womanly woman that she had the heating on during July's rude warmth - it is permanently set at 30C and she still moans about being cold whilst everyone else is mooching around like slobbering wrecks. Still up after doing nights so bedtime fairly soon - gonna chuck all the crap outta the fridge and climb in there for me kip as it's still shockingly warm (the weather,not the fridge) . I'm still traumatised that grown men are actually contemplating firing up the heating.... in August. Unbelievable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can people grow up a bit and respect other people's views? Just because you feel the cold differently to someone else doesn't make that other person inferior or a "freak". Cheers.

• Like 5

Posted

here that kind of space is a bargain at that price

Yes the cost of rent greatly offsets the price of extra oil and higher electric bils  etc in winter.

electric averages out at £100 a month roughly and oil varies but on average 3 tanks a year ish so if I was to pay normal rent for my area I would be spending an extra 5-6k a year which my extra bills are no where near!

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Can people grow up a bit and respect other people's views? Just because you feel the cold differently to someone else doesn't make that other person inferior or a "freak". Cheers.

Actually, in my opinion it does - just as someone thinks I'm "insecure, desperate and pathetic" for having a different viewpoint. How's about flagging that one up?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Actually, in my opinion it does - just as someone thinks I'm "insecure, desperate and pathetic" for having a different viewpoint. How's about flagging that one up?

I work. I don't have time to trawl through every post. If you find a post that you feel breaks the rules then hit the report button, or PM a team member and we'll be happy to deal with it.

Anyway, onwards with the discussion...

• Like 1