Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted

I really noticed it this evening. I went to the shop at about 20:30 and the sun was barely above the horizon. Unfortunately, summer's precious time is now running out as we move closer and closer to the miserable season. Hopefully the weather will play ball during the latter days of August and September, before it's too late for any significant warmth....

Do you not find anything appealing about the Autumn, Scott?

Whilst in a way I'll be sad to see summer go, I can't mourn it's passing.

The same goes for every season; variety is the spice of life, and although I may miss certain aspects of any season that's on its way out, I look forward to the unique features of the upcoming season.

Truth be told, I'd hate to live in a place without seasons. I might enjoy it for a few months, but I reckon the novelty would start to wear off after that. I do genuinely feel sorry for those that experience SAD.

• Like 2

Posted

At this latitude, you can't have your cake and eat it. If you like the long summer days but hate the short winter days or vice versa, that's the price you have to pay. You can't get one without the other. The only solution is to spend x months in one hemisphere then move to the other hemisphere and spend x months there.

The choice of land masses at 50+ degrees south, is limited though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I for one am loving the ever-darker evenings!

• Like 3

Posted

Getting more noticeable now, especially going down to the local with the light just beginning to fade, as opposed to a month ago where it'd still be light at half 9. Only another fortnight before i'll be walking in the dark at 9pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Sunset is getting earlier and I don't like it. I always forget how much of a Summer baby I am until the nights start to draw in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not noticed it here yet, seems to be light for ever, and no difference to Wimbledon light levels, late sept is when it just starts to get darker earlier

Posted

Street lights on before 9pm here now, even on clear evenings like this one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still plenty of light post work in the evening. The depressing season is far off yet. Coldies need to wait a lot longer yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It's when it is properly dark by 7:30pm it gets annoying as there's next to no time after work to do anything outdoors anymore. Gladly there's still plenty of time yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just back from  my holiday in Deal/Kent yesterday.   I definitely noticed the difference last night by about an hour?   Of course it was cloudy and, I have to say, the house felt really cold in the evening.   I refused to put the heating on though!   Still, a long way to go before lights on at 3.30pm!

Posted

Was cloudy (with a little rain last night) Street lights we're on just after 10 to 9 (usually about 25 past 9 with clear nights)

Posted

Only started to notice slight loss of light in recent days, but not particularly so and only when we've had wet cloudy evenings. Looking at the sunset and sunrise times, it takes until about 16th August before we see more than an hour less light in the evenings compared to summer peak around 21st June, i.e. 21:22 sunset 21 June, 20:22 sunset 16th August. However, there after its a rapid descent and you do really start to notice change in light levels. So we have about a week left before the change starts to really take place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Only started to notice slight loss of light in recent days, but not particularly so and only when we've had wet cloudy evenings. Looking at the sunset and sunrise times, it takes until about 16th August before we see more than an hour less light in the evenings compared to summer peak around 21st June, i.e. 21:22 sunset 21 June, 20:22 sunset 16th August. However, there after its a rapid descent and you do really start to notice change in light levels. So we have about a week left before the change starts to really take place.

We are already losing around 3.2 minutes per day so we are almost at out peak rate of loss a day with the maximum at around 3.56 mins a day from what I remember.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah 3 and a half mins are being lost a day at the moment, gets close to 4 minutes as we approach the Autumn equinox.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

It may slowly be getting darker but the sky tonight was rather lovely  :D

post-12495-0-87729900-1439237507_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yeah 3 and a half mins are being lost a day at the moment, gets close to 4 minutes as we approach the Autumn equinox.

Not long till the darkening rate slows down again. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Ever so slightly dim at 5:30am. The darkness is much more noticeable in the evenings however, with almost total darkness at 10pm on cloudy nights.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted

Not long till the darkening rate slows down again. :)

Not long until we're all dead...just enjoy it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I know it's completely ridiculous, but the nights closing in honestly causes this feeling of dread within me. That is the effect of less daylight has on my mood. Everything feels better in the Summer. I wouldn't say I have full on SAD, but it's just a general feeling of feeling sad that the happiest I feel is going away for a few months.

I do enjoy those really cold dark winter nights when you can put the fire on and it feels really festive, but it's the long, 'bleh' days that really get me.

• Like 1

Posted

I know it's completely ridiculous, but the nights closing in honestly causes this feeling of dread within me. That is the effect of less daylight has on my mood. Everything feels better in the Summer. I wouldn't say I have full on SAD, but it's just a general feeling of feeling sad that the happiest I feel is going away for a few months.

I do enjoy those really cold dark winter nights when you can put the fire on and it feels really festive, but it's the long, 'bleh' days that really get me.

I agree. It does that to me too. it isn't ridiculous at all. It's related to hormonal activity in some people. So those who criticise us and say that it's just being silly to get a bit low in mood when the dark season arrives need to learn a thing or two about how the brain works.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Likewise - I'm far happier in the April-July period than at any other time of year (with Oct-Jan period the opposite being true). Definitely feel the light dropping and there being far less time to play with on weekday evenings. Still we've got time yet before outdoor life is restricted to a brief few hours on weekends only.

I also too do like those odd really cold winter nights, the odd bit of snow & the fun around Christmas. But the week after week after week of darkness mid afternoon, low cloud & the 'oh look its 3c again' is very trying indeed.

• Like 2