Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What can act as a thunderstorm "trigger"?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Fantastic guide. Very useful with lots of detail that was easy to understand.

Thank you :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Cheers guys :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Thanks Nick. It certainly puts into perspective how much more than good CAPE and LI is needed to light a storm up and explains why we are often frustrated when everything looks good on paper.

Thanks Nick. It certainly puts into perspective how much more than good CAPE and LI is needed to light a storm up and explains why we are often frustrated when everything looks good on paper.

To add, I'd love to see more of these guides as they are easy to understand compared to many other guides.

Posted

To add, I'd love to see more of these guides as they are easy to understand compared to many other guides.

Well if there are any topics people want to learn more about I'll do my best to accommodate any requests! 

Posted

If I remember correctly Nick the A30 was always regarded as the the convection zone for the meeting of sea breezes down here in Cornwall.

I remember in a lecture a couple of years ago being shown a satellite picture illustrating the effect brilliantly! Shame the storms aren't as potent as in Florida though :D

• Like 1

Posted

I remember in a lecture a couple of years ago being shown a satellite picture illustrating the effect brilliantly! Shame the storms aren't as potent as in Florida though :D

The last convection event at Boscastle will do to be going on with thanks very much.

• Like 1

Posted

Solar winds even cosmic rays? Thunderstorms sure are fussy at times :)It is said that lightning never strikes twice. But scientists have long been puzzled as to how lightning even strikes at all.The laws of physics mean it should require a huge electrical current – much bigger than that in a storm cloud – for a lightning bolt to reach the earth.Now British scientists believe they have the answer, and it may enable forecasters to predict when a lightning storm is due.Scientists agree that lightning is caused by ice particles colliding within a storm cloud to create an electric charge.But they have been divided on how that charge creates a bolt big enough to reach the ground.Now researchers at Reading University have suggested that a stream of high-energy particles pumped out by the sun, known as a solar wind, creates a ‘pathway’ needed for lightning to travel.They say that the solar wind – in which the particles are propelled from the sun’s atmosphere at around a million miles per hour – charges the air, meaning a lesser current is needed for a lightning bolt to strike.Cosmic rays – another source of charged particles from exploding stars on the other side of the Universe – are thought to be another trigger for lightning.The results could prove useful for weather forecasters, since solar winds synchronise with the rotation of the sun, sweeping into the Earth’s atmosphere at regular intervals.As these streams are also tracked by Nasa, it offers the potential for predicting the severity of dangerous storms weeks in advance.Dr Chris Scott, of Reading University’s department of meteorology, said: ‘Getting a lightning bolt to jump through the air requires a much bigger charge than that in stormclouds. Laboratory tests show that it would require about 150 kilovolts per metre (kV/m) to generate lightning, but you would expect to generally see no more than 30 kV/m in a stormcloud.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2628758/Unlocked-secret-lightning-strikes-Scientists-reveal-high-energy-particles-pumped-sun-act-pathway-bolts-hit-ground.html#ixzz31n0oKkPNCertainly more bits of the jigsaw to add - a phenomena that still baffles both amateurs and scientists alike.

Chris Scott is my dissertation supervisor :D

Posted

Top post Nick. Cheers for that. Perhaps you could do one on skew t  diagrams, although they dont  appear that easy to simplify. i.e I still dont understand them :) Even after reading some explanation

Posted

Top post Nick. Cheers for that. Perhaps you could do one on skew t  diagrams, although they dont  appear that easy to simplify. i.e I still dont understand them :) Even after reading some explanation

I can do a Skew-T tutorial :) That will take a while though and I'll have to leave it until after exams. Give me a month or so :D

• Like 1

Posted

I can do a Skew-T tutorial :) That will take a while though and I'll have to leave it until after exams. Give me a month or so :D

Please Nick that would be great.  I have found JHs simple guide here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/16002-a-simple-guide-to-understanding-skew-t-diagrams/

Posted

Please Nick that would be great.  I have found JHs simple guide here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/16002-a-simple-guide-to-understanding-skew-t-diagrams/

Oh of course, JH did one! Well if there is still demand for me to do another one I'll happily put it on my to-do list :)

Posted

Oh of course, JH did one! Well if there is still demand for me to do another one I'll happily put it on my to-do list :)

To be honest Nick the guide that John did is excellent and I would have thought perfectly adequate. No reflection on your good self of course. :)

Posted

To be honest Nick the guide that John did is excellent and I would have thought perfectly adequate. No reflection on your good self of course. :)

Yeah I think John's guide is great. A while back there was a bit of an issue with not all the images working, but seeing as though they are there doesn't seem to be a need to :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Yeah I think John's guide is great. A while back there was a bit of an issue with not all the images working, but seeing as though they are there doesn't seem to be a need to :)

I wouldn't think it a bad thing to make another tutorial but told in a different way (obviously the same drawn conclusions) cause everyone is different and may need a different approach to it to understand it better. Even though it seems a lot clearer now it did take me a while to get to grips with it. Perhaps it's the technicality of it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Bit late I know, but, in the description accompanying the diagram showing cooler, drier air undercutting warm moist air, shouldn't "warm front" be "cold front"? 

Posted

Bit late I know, but, in the description accompanying the diagram showing cooler, drier air undercutting warm moist air, shouldn't "warm front" be "cold front"? 

Indeed it should! Edit made, thanks :)