Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Regional threads - changes for summer?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I like Pauls example above as it amalgamates areas into easier to handle 'lumps'

I'm not speaking from a moderators point of view but from my own.

The thing about the UK weather is we mostly get it second hand from another UK region.

Today for example we might be expecting some convective (albeit a low chance) activity from the SW heading East.

Surrey would be well placed if he chose to, to report and repost between areas 4-5 thus preventing me having to constantly

switch between regions to find out what's coming. Ok that's a bit of a simplistic view but much better than having to run all over the forum

for information.

Just my 2p's worth!

• Like 2

Posted

Yep, we can play it by ear really - if it works really well within the limited regions and the majority would rather keep them that way then we have that option, alternatively we can keep with the plan split all out to smaller regions as needed, or even split some out into smaller regions and leave some of the larger ones in place. 

Being flexible is definitely the way forward here as we can see how everyone finds things and respond to that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Purely my own opinion but I would have thought it perfectly acceptable for them to remain as they are and not broken down at all. But I stress I have no strong feelings about this and will just go with the flow.

With the exception of a couple of regions, the regional threads are deserted at the moment. By combining them we might see a bit of life injected into them.

But yeah, let's see how it goes, it might work, it might not!

Edited by Nick L

Posted

With the exception of a couple of regions, the regional threads are deserted at the moment. By combining them we might see a bit of life injected into them.

But yeah, let's see how it goes, it might work, it might not!

Sorry wasn't very clear. By 'as they are' I meant the new proposals.

I like Pauls example above as it amalgamates areas into easier to handle 'lumps'

The thing about the UK weather is we mostly get it second hand from another UK region.

Today for example we might be expecting some convective (albeit a low chance) activity from the SW heading East.

Surrey would be well placed if he chose to, to report and repost between areas 4-5 thus preventing me having to constantly

switch between regions to find out what's coming. Ok that's a bit of a simplistic view but much better than having to run all over the forum

for information.

Just my 2p's worth!

Im always well placed what ever the weather  :rofl:  should see the ladies round here too.. Double bubble on a sunny day!  :rofl:  :rofl:  Sorry off topic but couldn't help myself 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Area 4 is ok by me. Should be quite enterprising ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

yes mate im happy with that should make the thread a lot more busier, the far north england thread at the moment is so slow i think there is only three of us who post regular 

If the far north England thread joins with the Scotland thread, we may get er well, take a look at recent activity!  The silence in the Scotland one over the last few days makes me look a bit of a angel delight for making a fuss on here the other day!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

That looks good to me. I'm actually in northern England on the map, which is never a bad thing.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
But only the pretend north - not the proper north.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Area 5 is usually the same area's mentioned in snowy north east winds, so yeh that's fine!

See you can do it, all is well, everyone generally happy :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Great idea Paul. Just logged on the the first time since this changed happend. Good change

Posted

not sure i agree with this

been doing the local fax updates for the south east for ages

not going into the mod thread or the storm thread as would be accused of imby posts

i think the south east thread is quieter than normal but certainly not dead

a shame this was done so sudden but its your site i suppose

anyway i may be back in the winter

john

I agree entirely - MoD is a scary place at times and is so often being pruned. Our Regional thread (and also the SE one) seem much friendlier and less intimidating places, but more particularly have greater relevance when trying to assess rate of change in weather conditions be it sun burning off mist , travel of thunderstorms  or advance of weather fronts. To sift through such detailed info for the whole country would be tedious in the extreme.

Posted

for information.

Just my 2p's worth!

If I think weather is coming from an adjacent region, I simply take a peek at the posts in that region - simples and saves having to suddenly change your favourites bookmark just because it has become busy and you have been abitrarily moved into a different area!

Also think the SW area goes too far N, we regularly note that weather changes N of the M4 so an overlap between S and N similar to that between (southern) E and W might be sensible.

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Soon be time for the change back to normal regions. Any date set yet.