Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Regional threads - changes for summer?

Paul

Posted

John, I'd say try the model thread as your posts are well suited in there and would be appreciated. If people complain about imby posts then we can deal with that as many posters will always put their local slant on things and that shouldn't be a problem. In winter it can be a bit more manic and is harder for us to moderate but it's a lot more relaxed at this time of year and would imo be a very good fit for your informative posts.

Like I've said to others, give it a try for a few days - if it doesn't work out you've not lost much and we'll be monitoring in any case and will do all we can to make sure things do work out - if that means bringing the regionals back in some form so be it, but why not give it a shot first and see what happens?

Hi Paul,

just my comments following what John Pike said. The MOD thread is a VERY intimidating place and often gets quite personal, JP's FAX updates were always aimed at the region (even those in the far north), but they were NOT national and that would (as he says open him to charges of IMBYism)  I also recognise that for a few weeks there has been an undercurrent in the SE regional, but when you have a teenager able to post without being intimidated then my conclusion is that those who claim to be intimidated need to try to be objective rather than subjective.

As others have commented, a little warning would have been nice.

• Like 7

Posted

Still keeping the world weather threads open I hope and left as is, they too are very quiet apart from a handful of people!  I must say I understand the Scottish sentiment on here of wanting a seperate thread from the English, Yes vote or no Yes vote.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Perhaps it's time some folks stepped back and calmed down a touch - if the idea of closing the forums was just to do it and tell people to like it or lump it then this discussion would have been locked and that would have been that, but it's not the case - this was opened for discussion and all opinions are being listened to.

The regional discussion forums have been closed for something like 12 hours so far, this discussion is ongoing (and yes in hindsight maybe some discussion first may have been worthwhile, but that said since there's clearly a spread of opinions we'd never be able to please everyone whatever we do or don't do). So those getting annoyed and a bit heated, please stop - this is opportunity to discuss options in a rational way - please don't take it down another less constructive route.

Obviously the SE thread is in a different boat to the other regions in that it's been fairly active, but it's had its own problems - the cabin fever part is related to that in that there have been issues bubbling under the surface which refuses to go away due to people on both sides of a divide that has formed not being prepared to call off hostilities. So it's another of the reasons why we decided that things needed a break. 

So that's 2 distinct problems we need to solve - some 'cabin fever' in the more active regions, and a lack of activity in other regions. One proposal I'll put forward as a compromise for people to consider is to go with 3 regions: 1. Northern Britain (Scotland, Northern England, Northern Ireland), 2. Southern Britain (Midlands, Wales, East Anglia, Southern England) and 3. EIRE. 

I'd like to think that could solve both problems by a. adding more people to the less active parts and b. adding more people to the cabin fever affected parts. I understand that does still lose some of the locality for discussions, but we can still open up smaller regions during active weather periods, and will obviously add more people into the more entrenched groups but I'm sure the majority of people in those groups would be very welcoming. So with this in mind, what are people's opinions on this as something to try for a week or two?

Yes I was thinking along the lines of more regions into less threads my thoughts was

Northern Britain

North East England, Yorkshire & Lincolnshire, North West & Scotland

Ireland

Northern Ireland & Republic of Ireland

Southern England

Say all locations Midlands south including Wales

Just my suggestion but something like that could work in the short term

• Like 2

it adds as much as numerous posts in here today....and besides sometimes a little humour helps lighten the soul Chris

I appreciate the clarification AJ and I must be reading a different thread.

What ever happens can we agree that if the regional threads do open next winter it is made very clear the date they close for summer so I can send my goodbye see you next winter cards :)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yes I was thinking along the lines of more regions into less threads my thoughts was

Northern Britain

North East England, Yorkshire & Lincolnshire, North West & Scotland

Ireland

Northern Ireland & Republic of Ireland

Southern England

Say all locations Midlands south including Wales

Just my suggestion but something like that could work in the short term

I've said much the same Gav. :) When we've had major wintry weather, the SE / EA thread has been split (and rightly so IMHO)

I don't think there's a thread that easily replicates the regionals tbh. Okay, we can post photos into certain areas, or talk about extreme weather etc., but it'd be hard to arrange meet ups for the less weather obsessed (people who just have a passing interest and have looked on this site for that reason) This has happened in the SE, has been really good and has promoted Netweather - we even saw that Nick F was a great guy! :D

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Why do people assume that the forum now only consists of the model thread? The daily weather chat thread is reasonably lively, laid back and requires no technical knowledge at all. Just give it a try for a week or two, and if things don't work out we are very much open to reconsidering.

Come on folks, we coped perfectly fine before the regional threads.

I will be going away to Scotland for a few days holiday starting tomorrow, but on my return I will take up your suggestion and give it a try.

I found the Scottish thread useful on Saturday when I asked what the weather was likely to be in Loch Lomond Region next week and was advised what to expect. would that have been covered in the weather chat thread?

kind regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Maybe this decision will encourage some of our more reclusive members to participate in other threads more often, rather than sticking to the same regional thread? I'm interested in the weather all over the UK, not just my back yard. :wink:

As Nick mentions, it isn't just the MOD thread, which can be very unpleasant. The weather discussion/chat forum is nicer and more relaxed.

I will be going away to Scotland for a few days holiday starting tomorrow, but on my return I will take up your suggestion and give it a try.

I found the Scottish thread useful on Saturday when I asked what the weather was likely to be in Loch Lomond Region next week and was advised what to expect. would that have been covered in the weather chat thread?

kind regards

Dave

Well, you could always ask in the status updates section - I'm sure someone would have responded. I don't see why a thread asking what weather to expect in the Loch Lomond Region wouldn't be allowed though - but I couldn't say.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

kind regards

Dave

We've come to a compromise (see Paul's post above) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Ok, having looked at this I do agree with the fact that some prior discussion would have been reasonable, so as of just now the regionals are unlocked and will stay that way for at least the next 7 days. 

In the meantime I think we need to continue with the discussion in here, particularly with a view to using the larger regions as noted above, something similar or going withthe original plan to close the regions for the time being. Hopefully though this will take some of the heat out of the discussion and allow everyone to express an opinion without being riled up by the fact that the threads are currently closed. 

Hands up, I think it was a mistake to close without some discussion first and that's my fault for pushing it through fairly speedily, so apologies for that but hopefully we can move forward from this point and come up with something that works for everyone. 

Paul

Larger regionals would be best then, if you nolonger want to get rid of them completely!

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just an aside from the main debate.

Some have expressed reluctance  to post in the Model Discussion thread for fear of unfriendly responses.

Please have a go if your views are related to the actual outputs.

The Summer half of the year is a good time to try and get involved as,with a number of other threads, it is much quieter and dare i say calmer in there.

Yes we do get instances where emotions and off topic posts appear but almost always sparked by the old cold v mild debates in Winter.

The team as always try to nip these issues in the bud so please don't be discouraged from dipping your toes in the water in there.

Remember too we have the other Model moans and ramps thread which is more relaxed where members can be more chatty as long as there is a loose reference to the model outputs.

Less need in there for chart postings or in-depth knowledge.

There is still a number of regulars in the Model thread that continue to follow the outputs through the Summer too and i am sure any new contributors will be more than welcome. :)

• Like 6

Posted

Yeah I can only echo what Phil says, give other threads a go! When there's storms about have a venture into the convective thread.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

well, the regionals have been opened for 5 mins now, and only I've posted in them....hmm, perhaps we should shut them again.............. :wink:

you wanted 'em, you got 'em, so start posting! :laugh:

• Like 5

Posted

well, the regionals have been opened for 5 mins now, and only I've posted in them....hmm, perhaps we should shut them again.............. :wink:

you wanted 'em, you got 'em, so start posting! :laugh:

Not all of us are so sad to be watching Netweather all the time.....

Al right  --  only joking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Not all of us are so sad to be watching Netweather all the time.....

Al right  --  only joking

:shok:

you're banned! :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Ok, having looked at this I do agree with the fact that some prior discussion would have been reasonable, so as of just now the regionals are unlocked and will stay that way for at least the next 7 days. 

In the meantime I think we need to continue with the discussion in here, particularly with a view to using the larger regions as noted above, something similar or going withthe original plan to close the regions for the time being. Hopefully though this will take some of the heat out of the discussion and allow everyone to express an opinion without being riled up by the fact that the threads are currently closed. 

Hands up, I think it was a mistake to close without some discussion first and that's my fault for pushing it through fairly speedily, so apologies - it was done with the best of intentions but maybe in the wrong way. Hopefully now we can move forward from this point and come up with something that works for everyone though. 

Paul

I know the SE/EA thread swung it, but it is not a bad thread and TBH you can have a problem crop up in any thread, how many times in a peak season do we see the MOD thread require moderation, it goes quiet, it gets busy, weather like people tis a fickle beast but we all tip a toe into the other threads when we feel like it, but a safe zone is also good, and that is the regionals IMHO. We meet, we chat, we mingle with our local related weather, knowing it is snowing, sunny, raining, blowing a gale or thor has just decided to get it on with the SW is no good to man or beast in Fife :)

Edited by Jax
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

JAX... Agreed!.... I enjoy the summer as much as the winter but regarding the summer being quite and shutting em down because of that,

well all i can say is the way this winter's turned out (snowless) we may as well of shut em down also if that's the case..

Oh sorry! i forgot the Highlands in Scotland we would of had to keep just one open for you of course :friends: Anyway glad their back :good:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

The trouble is, pal, you post like a troll a lot of the time, in the SE area :angry: I'm not saying you are a troll, but you need to review, before you hit the post button IMHO.I'd agree with the suggestion of expanding the regional areas during the quieter period, but the management shouldn't kill local communities.

Totally agree Steve, we all know the threads were closed because of the problems on the SE Regional thread and even though the powers that be are aware of the situation, for some strange reason the troublemakers are still not dealt with?

And tonight it's a case of "plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose". Until this issue is faced head on, nothing will change!

Tom.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Well i am with Paul on this one

Head over to the active threads like Paul said and congregate, make new friends, get to know the weather better, have a read of the threads Paul stated to use, the information in some of them is brilliant. I completely agree that during quiet times there is no need too have umpteen regional threads on the go. With less threads on the go people in general will find their way around the forum much quicker and new forum users in particular will do too.

Like said if any significant weather event was to take place then the Regional Threads would be opened and users can start posting again.

Problems do and will occur in any thread im afraid, but the job of the moderators is to keep it clean and weather related, same with non weather related threads, they are also moderated.

This time of year the focus is on the storms inwhich again as stated there is a thread ongoing for this.

Also another thing to bare in mind is during busy times you would of noticed a thread being closed and a new one being opened (this could be primarily due to masses of posting / information and people having to plough through umpteen pages in a thread to find something), now the same goes for the quiet threads, they are being little used and open for possible a 2 - 3  months with little weather relevance going on in them. Whereas if you have less threads it is easier to find your way around. A cleaner forum is a better forum  :)

We may not all agree with Paul, however sometimes things have to change, albeit only temporarily (The RT's would probably be opened if any significant weather events where to potentially take place). All is not lost, but just closed for a while, it may be a loss for many as some have stated they are still posting in the RT's.

Many will not be happy and it is understandable, but with such little posting, keeping Regional Threads open seems a bit silly.

• Like 1

Posted

Totally agree Steve, we all know the threads were closed because of the problems on the SE Regional thread and even though the powers that be are aware of the situation, for some strange reason the troublemakers are still not dealt with?

And tonight it's a case of "plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose". Until this issue is faced head on, nothing will change!

Tom.

I'm sorry Tom but that is simply untrue for a many reasons. Firstly, have a look at some of the other regions, they're barely being used - that for me is a pretty significant reason for change in any case, and I've been open about all of the thinking behind it - so it's a little perturbing that you're essentially saying I'm making it up?

I've talked about the SE thread issues in depth and that is part of the reason for some changes being needed also, but like so many others on both sides of that particular situation you're looking at it purely from your point of view and seeing it as a black and white - we're right, they're wrong type picture which is seldom ever the case in anything. 

Take the post you've quoted, frankly it should have been removed, calling another poster a troll is out of line but you're ok with that because it's someone you're not friendly with / believe is some sort of trouble maker. You're entitled to your opinion of course but this continual need to play this out publicly is the issue regardless of what the actual underlying problem actually is and regardless of what side of the fence you're on.  It all needs to stop and I'd suggest that may be accelerated if you ever get round to replying to the emails I sent to you many months ago or the pm from just a few days ago - it's all well and good moaning at the team publicly on here but why refuse the opportunity to open a private dialogue about these problems when it's offered to you?

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Take the post you've quoted, frankly it should have been removed, calling another poster a troll is out of line but you're ok with that because it's someone you're not friendly with / believe is some sort of trouble maker. You're entitled to your opinion of course but this continual need to play this out publicly is the issue regardless of what the actual underlying problem actually is and regardless of what side of the fence you're on. 

Yes my comment was a bit strong. I should have replaced 'a lot' with 'occasionally', but I didn't mean for people to think of the poster as a troll, but more that he could be construed as one, so I apologise for that.

Maybe we need some dramatic weather now, to lift the mood? It might be that there's a hangover from the largely snowless winter. I'm just going to get outside and enjoy the fine weather here, for now. My mood invariably lifts doing that. :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I would just like to add that this fine forum as you stated runs well and 99% is good and less than 1% is bad, so that in my mind alone makes me feel closure of the regional threads is akin to killing the host for a minor scratch when a sticky plaster would do.

Regards moderation, can we be sure that there is a level playing field on this matter? one mod may think it is OK to post comment XYZ but another may not, and interpretation of the CoC is uniformed in this matter.

Also this is an overall observation of mine but we are not all literature scholars, to this end we sometimes use words we think right but could be read to mean something else, on a regional level this may not pose a problem but UK wide a word in the SE can mean something far different elsewhere, the dialect is both written and spoken.  And to add we all sometimes struggle to find that right word or think we have the right one when we do not, as well as posting what we read one way as another, I have done that myself just this week in the serious discussions thread, I made a reply that implied I was directing my comment at the person I quoted, and that never was the intention, I did follow up to explain that afterwards that a word change was all that was out of place.

Human is to err  ,we are not perfect, no solution will suffice all, if it did you would have Utopia :)

It is much appreciated that this place is both a business and a labour of love and most know that and respect that :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I understand both sides of the argument, but I'm not here to argue over that, I just started posting in the general weather thread without giving it a second thought to be honest.

Anyway, I just have one concern, if the regional threads get combined to a suggested, e.g.'southern England' thread, and then we have a severe weather event, be it Summer or Winter, would the threads not fill up too quickly? It would get very hectic indeed. Just a thought! :)

Posted

As long as people just stick vaguely on topic (we're not asking for a scientific report on your local weather conditions, just please keep totally off-topic banter to the lounge section) and people get along fine, then there will be no need for repercussions. Quite simple requests I think.

However, can we keep discussions of the changes to the relevant thread please? We welcome feedback on the matter, but please keep them in one place:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80194-regional-threads-changes-for-summer/

Otherwise your views will probably go unheard.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1