Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

i was disappointed with yesterdays weather it felt quite cool, nice day today i just wish that wind would do one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

There are several reasons for rolling grass in the spring.The primary one is to push down stones and level the ground in  preparation for cutting later with a mower which would be damaged by stones or uneven areas and nowadays these self propelled forage harvesters which chop the grass into 1 inch lenghth  especially as they cost up to half a million pounds new and you don"t want any stone damage hold ups as grass is only at its best digestibility for about 10 days .

Also grass  as it mostly roots near the surface of the soil also benefits from compressing the soil near its roots especially after a frosty winter where soil heave/ expansion has seperated the soil and roots(not this last winter!!) It helps also  to flatten some mole hills where soil contamination can be a problem in silage setting up the wrong type of fermentation which can make livestock ill. 

Been away in Braemar over the weekend so a late thanks for the explanation.

Weather over the extended weekend break was changeable but largely dry during daylight hours. Lots of cloud but some sunny breaks and the temperature was cool rather than cold. Similar day here in Dyce now that I'm back at work. Lots of cloud and a bit of drizzle/light rain and not much in the way of sun.

Forecasts I've seen look more April like i.e showery and cool. Come on May, give us a nice warmish settled spell that you often come up with!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Pretty foggy up here for most of the day (check out the webcam pic lol http://www.gulberwickweather.co.uk/webcam.jpg) with some occasional rain (2.2mm so far) and temps in single figures (cuurently 8.4C).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

i was disappointed with yesterdays weather it felt quite cool, nice day today i just wish that wind would do one

Much better today a lot more sunshine around starting to feel really warm now in the sun bit of a nuisance this wind but at least its not overly strong

17.1c currently

Both stations in Darlo have recorded 18.0c this afternoon

Posted

Bright sunshine this morning after overnight rain a bit fresher too at 7c. See snow has returned to the tops on the webcams  at Glencoe and Ben Nevis too this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The rain is a lot more patchy than I was expecting today its coming over in showers rather than a lengthy band

Quite breezy again and cooler than it was yesterday at 13.3c currently

Posted

A bit later than I promised but since it's so quiet in here I'll post a couple of pictures from my Easter Weekend in Braemar.

The first one was taken from a walk that started at the Keiloch car park and headed north(ish) towards the main Cairngorm mountains. It was taken once we gained a bit of height and looks back to the south towards the Lochnagar range.

The next one was actually taken the next morning when I'd nipped off to climb the Corbett Creag nan Gabhar which sits just to the East of the A93 between the Glenshee Ski area and Braemar. The picture it taken from the top of the Corbett looking north towards the ski area and shows just how much snow there still was on Glas Maol at the time.

Today - This morning a fair bit of low black cloud but also some blue sky & sun. This afternoon we've had some short heavy bursts of rain so it's a real mixture of a day so far. Bit of a breeze too with the temperature sat around 12C.

• Like 4

Posted

A preety miserable May day, temperatures failed to hit double figures under persistant low cloud cover and rain and a keen wind. The next 4 days look more of the same -oh dear!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

nice morning having my breakfast outside in the sun currently 13.6c, saying that lots of cloud to the south and west

Posted

I've just merged together the Scotland and North of Northern England discussions to form this new thread as per the discussions here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/80194-regional-threads-changes-for-summer/?p=2965003

This is region 1 on the map - there is some overlap so those close to the borders please feel free to post in the discussion which suits you best :)

post-2-0-02104100-1399377716_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

We've annexed the north of England, superb :lol: It has been an ok day today after the cold wet night last night. Nothing hot on the horizon at the moment, surely the year without winter will not also include no summer?

Didn't realise they were prenegotiating the Scottish territory? Lol

Posted

Another very nice wet night,crops/grass just charging on, so are the weeds.Currently very dreich and misty, dry above and 10c.

See they are hinting about a retrogressing high to Greenland in the model thread in about two weeks time and since we are very low on our quota on N and E winds this spring this would not surprise me even till amost the end of June. Around midsummers day in the past there has often been a north wind bringing a dusting of snow to the high tops

Posted

deleted

Edited by Boro Snow

Posted

We've annexed the north of England, superb :lol:

Shsh! Westminster might notice.

Wet, grey and driech here this morning, and it's looking like that's going to be the theme for the coming weekend. Glad NL is enjoying it and I can confirm that speed of growth of the grass in my back garden is out of control.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

deleted

You'll get used to being deleted now we've annexed you. (Shame the line wasn't drawn a bit further south or I could have claimed dominion over most of my family... :aggressive:

Good growing weather all week, warm & showery; unfortunately the greenfly have taken advantage of me being busy, the wee Lettuceers.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

We've annexed the north of England, superb :lol:

You'll never take us alive. :laugh: 

Chance of some thundery action today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I hope you pull in better weather for us. Maybe we should draw the line in Provence..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

You'll never take us alive. :laugh: 

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Chance of some thundery action today.

Technology has advanced a bit since the Romans knocked that up.

• Like 1

Posted

Who are those english mob that have joined us on our discussion? :closedeyes::yahoo:

Not been too bad here today considering. Had 1 heavy shower at about quarter to 2 but other than that been mostly dry. Barely any wind whatsoever

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Look what popped up today In Bonnie Port Glasgow! :D

post-21143-0-51281400-1399757043_thumb.jpost-21143-0-39849200-1399757044_thumb.jpost-21143-0-52896600-1399757045_thumb.jpost-21143-0-31308000-1399757046_thumb.jpost-21143-0-10978600-1399757047_thumb.jpost-21143-0-09874700-1399757048_thumb.jpost-21143-0-15500400-1399757049_thumb.j

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Well spotted !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

I'm confused.

So is this where people in Newcastle post then?!

Edited by JP1972

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Oh dear work has been keeping me too busy ! Still a nice active day for cloudscapes and incoming !!

post-7292-0-82269500-1399829305_thumb.pn