Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

MetOffice Operational Forecaster Technical Test?

Matty M

Posted

Hi all,

I have a query for anybody who has ever been through the interview process before. How difficult is the assessment? Would you recommend revising any sections in particular? Is it 50.50 physics/maths?

And any idea what the group assessment involves? Hints or tips!?

Thanks!

Edited by Matty M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Hi all,I have a query for anybody who has ever been through the interview process before. How difficult is the assessment? Would you recommend revising any sections in particular? Is it 50.50 physics/maths?And any idea what the group assessment involves? Hints or tips!?Thanks!

Hi Matty,

Not sure how it works these days. Back in 1969, I applied to join the Met Office and was asked to attend an interview with the Senior Met Officer at Manchester Airport which lasted 10 minutes and included a few verbal questions on basic physics. After this interview, I was asked to attend a Met training course in Middlesex and given a position at London Gatwick. Throughout my time with the Met Office there was always a fluid recruitment process  with a excellent  chance of promotion through the various scientific levels. From a Weather Observer to Senior forecaster was always attainable based on merit. Many of the well know older faces in forecasting media started this way. That how it worked to some degree then, but no doubt the entrance and promotion procedure has changed quite a lot since. Maybe JH can share some further light on your question.

C

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Hi all,I have a query for anybody who has ever been through the interview process before. How difficult is the assessment? Would you recommend revising any sections in particular? Is it 50.50 physics/maths?And any idea what the group assessment involves? Hints or tips!?Thanks!

Hi Matty,Apologies if this reply is a little late! I imagine by now you have already had your assessment day and exam (as I saw a lot of you around the building a few weeks back), so know exactly how much you needed to know! (or didn't know!) If you are selected for interview please don't hesitate to contact me for some advice on how to prepare for that. :-)

All the best,

Mark

Posted

Mark is better placed than me Paul (Carinthian) to give a reply, and I see he has done anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Mark is better placed than me Paul (Carinthian) to give a reply, and I see he has done anyway.

Yep John, things have moved on a pace in the work place and ethics since our time . Mark will provide a better view on modern day entry procedure.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Just for future reference (and away from Technical test which will be different from when I started in 1997)

communication and team work are very important, no longer is this the job of an isolated bench forecaster

you have to be able to brief others and work well within a shift, hope it went well -jo

• 10 months later...

I hope everything went well for you last year, i am about to do the same thing that you did in a couple of weeks.

Any advice on what sort of things came up? 

Have been out of my degree for 2 years now and am worried my maths isn't up to scratch.

Thanks