Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mildest Winter on Record 2013/14

Barry12

Posted

I'd be very happy providing there was a good deal of sunshine to go with it. I've personally expressed my preference for a 2011/2012 type winter with predominantly mild temperatures with good sunshine levels. Substitute February 2012 for February 2008 and I'd be very happy!

Posted

If it reached 14c due to it being sunny and calm everyday then i wouldn't be too unhappy, especially as it could still allow for some frosty spells mixed in, a bit like a double spring.

What i would detest would be it being mildest on record due to persistent cloud cover equaling mildest minimums on record with a low diurnal range i.e max 9c min 8c

Edited by Lake District Blizzard

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

I can't see that an exceptional mlld winter would be anything like enjoyable unless you happened to be a duck. For this to happen I would expect the wind mainly from a SW quadrant which would mean relatively warm moist air travelling over colder ground without enough power in the sun to warm this up significantly, so my guess is that it would lead to grey squelchy conditions with below average sunshine, especially during the early part - later as the sun gains some strength we could expect some drying out with more sunshine and a false spring developing, most likely to develop into cold northerlies with snow showers, such is the caprice of our climate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

You'd get bored of the cold and snow if it was like that every winter, atleast if it were the mildest Winter on record, everyone would be even more excited for the next winter.

Had a very warm and dry summer, could not do with a mild boring winter, cold and snow brings mayhem but also good business for some, if there was not cold a lot would lose money, especially clothes sales I think, winter clothes needs for extras like bigger coats, gloves, boots and hats all add to more sales then summer wear. Other sales would of course benefit from a mild winter generally.

For the mildest winter on record to materialize that would be interesting, but boring totally boring, imagine every day 14C maybe up to 18C day-time temps(would feel nice though) and nights no lower then maybe 10 degrees C,  rain and gales inbetween would make things more interesting, there would be sunny spells too but also probably days of cloud sheets as plain as one grey but not 50 shades... 

I prefer to have snow / cold spells mixed in with very mild periods.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i would be anoyd and abit frstrated but it's the weather it wil do will. Me wishing or getting angry, anoyd and furstrated wouldn't change anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Good point AVFC it is the weather and we cannot make a difference with our mood changes! It will do what it does and that's that.

-

What would the average day and night temperature need to be for 3 months to be a record mild winter? I don't want to place figures I prefer to ask those in the know and for interest of other readers. OK are take a go,  12-14C day-time, 9C or higher night-time, we could allow some cooler / colder days and nights though, but for extreme I'd imagine no cold air and no frost at all for the whole winter?

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

If it was just dull with nothing happening I'd be mad. If it was stormy and mild not too bad. Downside garden would continue to grow.

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

I would be disappointed,but would get the plus of all the HUNDREDS of spring  bulbs (snowdrops,crocus,daffs,and bluebells),I have planted in my garden over the past few weeks would be blooming sooner.

But I would have to leave the fridge open,curtains closed and spray fake snow over my windows over Christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've lived through lots of mild winters and have always coped psychologically with only a minimal amount of medication and counselling.

If the mildness was accompanied by exceptional rainfall and storminess I'd be almost as happy as if it were bitterly cold and snowy.

If it was a very mild and dry winter I'd go out on my bike a lot and convince myself it was spring.

• Like 1

Posted

Very mild winters always equate to wet winters in this part of the UK, so for those who enjoy days on end of pouring rain your more than welcome to it, just as long as that wet season extends into the following summer I'll be more than happy.Posted Image

Posted

How would you feel if the next winter was the mildest on record and what would you do?

live with it!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I'd possibly have the first winter I can remember without any lying snow IMBY.

Even in mild winters we usually to have some days where the threat of something wintry is about and then up here we tend to be on the right side of marginal.

As others have said, at least the heating bills will be lower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

well for a start i nearly had a heart attack when i first glimpsed this heading, for me it would be a nightmare but im sure its gunna be the COLDEST on record so im not gunna lose any sleep over it Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Chuckle to myself insanely as I keep all the cold to myself over here in Berlin whilst secretly cursing the gas bill!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

I think it would turn me to the dark side as well Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

It would be awful and just confirm that we are in an abysmal run of winters on a par with the record breaking snowless write-offs of the late 80s/early 90s.

A mildest winter on record would be unlikely to have any decent snow so by the time it was possible to get another decent snowfall it would be November/December 2014 and the 4th anniversary of the last one Posted Image

The only consolation would be that if it was like 1988/89 we would at least have plenty dry bright and sunny weather with mins averaging out around 3-4C and maxes 10C. However if it were anything like December 1934: mins of 6C, maxes of 8C, 20 hours of sun and 120mm of rain with no frost that would be beyond horrific and depressing and a real struggle to have to endure for 3 months without turning to antidepressants.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If we do end up seeing a record-busting mild winter, I will be outside making the most of it. Much as I love snow, mowing the lawn on Christmas Day 1974 was also a pleasure...Posted Image Hic!

• Like 2

Posted

If that proves to be the case then so be it, but I'd say it's a very long shot at this stage and probably shares equal likelyhood with the coldest, wettest, sunniest etc. One thing is again as absolutely certain as night following day tho and that is no amount of hopecasting, wishful thinking, wet dreaming, ramping, digging at others or just plain anger will change anything...so hopefully this Winter we'll see far less of any of um in the MODT.

Edited by shedhead