Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 18Z 3/2/13 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Blimey....two models sticking to their guns...and they are pointing in different directions!

Or so it seems at T90....is the pub run moving everything further east and even more keen to move the Atlantic in?

Edited by Timmytour

Posted

Woud love to see the GFS get on board. If it doesn't and the ECm verifies, it will nevertheless always play a big part in the way i feel the weathers going to develop.

If it doesn't, and the ECM doesn't verify, I will still have a high regard for Steve and his analysis and predictive skills.

For me this is like seeing a game go to penalties with the ECm having scored the first one and GFS having missed it. We still can't really say who's going to win, and even when we know which has won, we'd be a little restrained afterwards in saying they did so because they were the better team

That makes about as much sense as the models do. So in some strange way you have summed up the futile nature of weather model watching. Without doubt the least reliable scientific computer models in any form of modern science. And long may that continue. It's the weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

we gunna get wrong very shortly.

What on earth does this even mean!?

GFS seems to have taken a step towards the ECM with the further development of the low south of Greenland, with more support for the 12z ECM tonight i'm now starting to be a bit more brought in to the idea of the ECM...

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

18Z GFS takes the tiniest step towards the ECM when one looks at the size of the PV and trigger low at T+102. But it is small.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

That makes about as much sense as the models do. So in some strange way you have summed up the futile nature of weather model watching. Without doubt the least reliable scientific computer models in any form of modern science. And long may that continue. It's the weather.

Couldn't disagree more. Considering the complexity of the problem, they are borderline miraculous. Compare for Earthquake prediction models: zero progress in decades of trying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Cheshire gap showers showing up well on NAE. Parts of NW England could wake yo prolonged snow showers Tuesday morning but of course those of us in NW England have been looking forward to this good old Northwesterly for a while. Should deliver though not that cold at the surface.

13020512_0318.gif13020512_0318.gif

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

small difference again on the gfs heights building a little sooner on the gfs and a little futher north and west.

although low coming out of the eastern seaboard is a little more ampilfied but running through all the frames until its most recent it does also look like it could well come inline with the ecm or middle ground as suggested i think were gonna be ok for some extended cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

the T120 FAX is completely ukmo gm and nowt ecm. looks interesting at day 5 though.

fax120s.gif?03-12

and the UKMO

UW120-21.GIF?03-18

hmmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

The viewpoints on here continue to be very interesting..smile.png Tentatively I would suggest that the ECM ensembles are interesting too in their own waysmile.png

Posted

Sorry but there is something fishy about the snow warning tomorrow for parts of the UK

fishy_zps72f6cc56.png?t=1359928198

rofl.gifrofl.gif

care to explain please Gavin in spite of so many likes?

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

The fish shaped yellow warning over NI and NWEng, John!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Changes now starting to be seen. 18z at 138 vs 12z at the same stage. Looks an upgrade to my very much untrained eye!

gfs-0-138.png?18gfs-0-144.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The answer lies in the shape of the southernmost warning. Once you see it it's quite easy to plaice where he's coming from...

Posted

The fish shaped yellow warning over NI and NWEng, John!

best I go to bed I think, all this is too much for my old brain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Here is the total snow accumulation by Tues afternoon... Don't think anyone's going to get "battered" http://www.weatheron...=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Accumulations were always going to be ifficult to come by and I think best chance is Tuesday morning. Showers will probably turn to hail and rain in the afternoon as the warm sector passes through but turning to snow again through Tuesday night.

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-138.png?18

Notice the GFS is flaunting its biggest weakness today & the 18z shows it beginning to back down- The GFS will want to move the entire energy West to East with no seperation / trough disruption that allows systems to seperate.

For the last 2 days this has been the case with the GFS, well now we find that the energy in the atlantic is beginning to seperate- 1 pulse going NE & the other SE- however the 18z wont quite get there & the shortwaves will have minimal distance between them-

eventually when the GFS catches up that shortwave diving Se in the atlantic may be in the same place, but the rest of the energy will be a long way further north west- hence the whole blocking will be NW....

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

best I go to bed I think, all this is too much for my old brain

Not to worry, John. I think it looks like an alien!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Is that hmmmmm in a good way or a bad way? Thanks GSL

Think its in a good way, i think thats 1020hp over Scandie possible that the front stalls over the east. hope ive read that right?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

I think this probably counts as a GFS 'backtrack'!?

gfs-0-162.png?18