Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 12th January 2013>

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

In the days before computers there was an element of suprise, catching every weather forecast you could was the only way to go, how about everyone closing down there systems until tomorrow night and have a taste of the old days!!!!!!!!!!lol

great idea... Dare you to post that on the MOD thread...... Then run for cover....

Posted

Quite since 3:30 with some very heavy bursts at times here in East Devon, though broken up and showery now. River is quite high after rising pretty quickly. Rain today 11.6mm according to weather station.

The Netweather social radar shows 10/10 snow in a few locations around Devon/Cornwall including Exeter and Plymouth and Truro.. hmm lol

Am in East Devon this weekend.

Re your mention of the river rising quickly (which river are you referring to, BTW, as I'm East Devon born and bred), some roads around me are starting to flood already, after just a few hours' light-ish rain. The ground is just so saturated. Some fields have been permanently flooded for over 4 months now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

great idea... Dare you to post that on the MOD thread...... Then run for cover....

I would probably be completely erased from Netweather, never to be heard of again lol!

Posted

Interestingly the GFS does give is something Tuesday morning;

post-12721-0-09099600-1357985245_thumb.jpost-12721-0-25500800-1357985254_thumb.j

The good thing is even if we do miss out on Monday, all models bar the ECM give us further potential all next week.

If things go to plan we could see quite a bit of snow, especially if we see any tomorrow night and monday. Full of potential over the next few days especially Tuesday now which looks very interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

I love the cold and the snow.and me more than anyone would love to see snow for us all.but I just cannot see the temps getting low enough for us all.im still hopefull but I'm thinking deep down that this cold spell episode might end up another damp squib for the south and snow for the north :-/ ESP with the ECM starting to flip the other way...I'm hoping as always though

Posted

yep we certainly havn't really downgraded this morning still lots of potential in the models next week with undercutting lows.

I love the cold and the snow.and me more than anyone would love to see snow for us all.but I just cannot see the temps getting low enough for us all.im still hopefull but I'm thinking deep down that this cold spell episode might end up another damp squib for the south and snow for the north :-/ ESP with the ECM starting to flip the other way...I'm hoping as always though

Did you get thunder last night cause my friend on the IOW gave me a ring around 12 saying he had thunder?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

We had torrential hail and was woken up by it.i didn't hear the thunder by I've heard from a few people that there was.fingers crossed for this week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thought I'd post this to help less experiencd members to get a handle on snow forecasting and the parameters required. Created by Net Weather's former Chief Forecaster John Holmes smile.png

Posted

We had torrential hail and was woken up by it.i didn't hear the thunder by I've heard from a few people that there was.fingers crossed for this week

:D i love the weather the IOW gets apparently it can get quite nasty there sometimes but exciting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Raining here again- roads aren't flooding.

As for snow- if the likes of December 2010 can't deliver here bar an inch or so, I can't see us getting January 1987 event.

I'd love to be wrong mind.

Posted

Morning guys! Not looking great today, but remember, it can still change at very short term! :D

Should have added, it's also raining here! :(

Edited by dec10snow

Posted

Cold rain has forced me back inside just in time to catch the BBC weather a few minutes ago.

Looks like BBC are going for that band of rain to turn to snow for the SW (not the far SW though - sorry guys, but things can still change...) on Monday, rather than travelling further East. I know things will change, but that forecast falls more in line with the fax charts posted this morning. Still evolving, still changing, but at least a chance!!

Posted

Last BBC forecast shows snow quite widely over Gloustechire/Wilts and parts of Dorset on Monday. Just a litte further west and everyone can be happy!

bits of somerset too!

Posted

Cold rain has forced me back inside just in time to catch the BBC weather a few minutes ago.

Looks like BBC are going for that band of rain to turn to snow for the SW (not the far SW though - sorry guys, but things can still change...) on Monday, rather than travelling further East. I know things will change, but that forecast falls more in line with the fax charts posted this morning. Still evolving, still changing, but at least a chance!!

What do you mean by the far southwest? :)

Edit: okay don't worry, sainsbo cleared it up :)

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Last BBC forecast shows snow quite widely over Gloustechire/Wilts and parts of Dorset on Monday. Just a litte further west and everyone can be happy!

Yes just saw that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,River here responding Quickly to rain, Ground so very sodden, Would not take much to overflow banks again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Current temperature outside 3.5c with a gradual fall this morning.

shall see how this goes as we head past mid dayalthough not holding my breath.search.gif

Posted

W COUNTRY F'cast change: area of snow moves SE across region Sun eve/night. Snow likely anywhere approx Mendips N'wards: 1-2cm & 5cm uplands

W COUNTRY Sunday eve snow mostly over Glos uplands/ Mendips Plateau / uplands N Wilts. Maybe to 5cm these areas; 1-2cm lower Bristol, S Glos

From Fergie :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Current temperature outside 3.5c with a gradual fall this morning.

shall see how this goes as we head past mid dayalthough not holding my breath.search.gif

I'm coming up to your neck of the woods (mendips) tonight Mullender. Hope I see a few flakes falling. Tho like you im Not holding my breath tho. It's 5.2c here now so falling gradually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

W COUNTRY F'cast change: area of snow moves SE across region Sun eve/night. Snow likely anywhere approx Mendips N'wards: 1-2cm & 5cm uplands

W COUNTRY Sunday eve snow mostly over Glos uplands/ Mendips Plateau / uplands N Wilts. Maybe to 5cm these areas; 1-2cm lower Bristol, S Glos

From Fergie :)

That's a good improvement if indeed nothing major. Mullender will be happy.

This is from the first front the FAC charts showed.

Interesting times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Interestingly the GFS does give is something Tuesday morning;

post-12721-0-09099600-1357985245_thumb.jpost-12721-0-25500800-1357985254_thumb.j

The good thing is even if we do miss out on Monday, all models bar the ECM give us further potential next week.

Yes AWD and further to the points you make, I would stress that the more reliable GEFS 12z ensembles hinted at what you say above, when I look back at my post from yesterday.

Berkshire's best chances of SNOW suggested Tuesday 15th, Wednesday 16th and possibly Saturday 19th January as dates to watch. Further West, it was the period right through from Tuesday 15th to the 18th January which remains of interest.

I am not saying, that there is not any hope before the dates stated above, my view is that anything beforehand will be a nice BONUS. clapping.gif Also, I base the above on sound analysis from quite a few professional's viewpoint.

• Many leading agencies now believe that ensemble forecasting is the way forward for
  • anything beyond 5 days – and sometimes even shorter.

Basically, I think we should be looking further ahead into next week for our BEST chances, as we simply need to get more entrenched air over us as time ticks by.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Trend may become the West's friend!

The trend is my best mate currently. :p :p

Posted

I posted a post just now, and it's gone.cray.gif

I was reporting that there is quite a bit of blue sky here and the sun is coming through a bit and dazzling me by reflecting on the laptop.

What was this boding in the way of snow, I wondered?