Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

With ref. to the above it's worth remembering that swans form monogamous pair bonds that last for many years, and in some cases these bonds can last for life. Fortunately this isn't written in stone.

In recent years the swan population at Swanpool near Falmouth has been reduced to one pair. About three years ago the pen was killed by a fox and the cob subsequently flew away. Observers thought that that was the last they would see of him but they were wrong as he returned later with a new mate. They were still there when I was down there last summer.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Largest falcon in world spotted eating swan in Scottish islands..

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/islands/western-isles/880066/undefined-headline-1662/

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Largest falcon in world spotted eating swan in Scottish islands..

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/islands/western-isles/880066/undefined-headline-1662/

Very impressive bird. I hope Springwatch got some decent footage.

On a more mundane note can anyone identify this bird. I;m afraid it's a poor photo taken quickly on a big zoom and this may well be making this deceptive.

Bird 1.jpg

Posted

Never heard of such thing Knocker, Plenty of Hare's running about in the meadows here today.

20160410_151918.jpg

20160410_151855_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Posted
12 minutes ago, knocker said:

Nor had I PM. I had to e-mail the photo to someone who knows about these things. Looking grand at your place today.

I've only known that bird as a hedge sparrow - Dunnock was a new one for me too.

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Nouska said:

I've only known that bird as a hedge sparrow - Dunnock was a new one for me too.

It's in my bird book which dates from the 1970s as a Dunnock (there's definitely no hedge sparrow). I've had these living in my very small back garden for years.

Posted

Just got back from a stroll on the High Peak trail towards Black Rocks, Lovely Spring afternoon with the Sky Larks calling in the meadows and young Lambs skipping about.

20160413_131610_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160413_121206_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160413_114414_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160413_114351_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Posted

Lucky you Polar looks great. I'm fairly limited on distance these so went for my usual stroll around the lake waiting for the first cygnets. assuming there will be some as there isn't every year . Only thing to report is that Sidney was cavorting with the rooks.

SR.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

Seems

23 hours ago, PeteG said:

It's in my bird book which dates from the 1970s as a Dunnock (there's definitely no hedge sparrow). I've had these living in my very small back garden for years.

I think this must be a throw back to my childhood when my gamekeeper grandfather thought an important part of education was knowing all bird species. He called it a hedge sparrow back then.

Known as the ‘hedge sparrow’, the dunnock is commonly mistaken for a female house sparrow.

However, although it favours hedges, it is most definitely not a sparrow. Instead, it is part of the accentor family that favour insects and small seeds.

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/blog-custom/bto-garden-bird-month-march-dunnock

• Like 1

Posted

Heard our first cuckoo this morning...

plus, I caught some of the local youths hanging around again this morning.

IMGP0393_sm.jpg

Posted

Cracking Spring morning down at the lake

Look no wimgs!

Look no wingd.jpg

Sod it

Sod it.jpg

The semtinels

Sentinals.jpg

One for the nearly photos. Out of focus Blue Tit with Ronnie and Sidney on standby. Blue Tits are extremely wary about feeding from your hand but must do better.

Nearly.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted

England's last golden eagle feared dead

England’s only resident golden eagle is likely to have died after failing to appear this spring, wildlife experts fear.

The bird, which has been a resident at Riggindale near Haweswater, Cumbria, since 2001, has not seen by RSPB staff since last November, and would normally be seen at this time of year building a nest and displaying to attract a mate.

Lee Schofield, site manager at RSPB Haweswater, said: “When the eagle didn’t appear last month we thought there was a chance he might be hunting in a nearby valley but over the past few weeks we’ve been gradually losing hope.”

The eagle, who did not have a name, was believed to have been around 20 years old and had lived alone since the death of his mate in 2004.

“We will probably never find out what happened to him but as he was ... an advanced age for an eagle, it’s quite possible that he died of natural causes,” Schofield said.

“His disappearance marks the end of an era as he has been an iconic part of the Haweswater landscape for the past 15 years. During this time, thousands of visitors have travelled from across the country hoping to catch a glimpse of him at the Riggindale eagle viewpoint.”

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/14/englands-last-golden-eagle-feared-dead

• Like 3

Posted

Starlings are nesting in the cooker extractor vent ! A nice but odd musical accompaniment to breakfast and dinner.

Bluetits have been nipping out and in of the nest box.

A pair of Pied Wagtails have set up home in the wood shed, and so warmer weather would be welcome as we can't feed our stove now.

Looking forward to the return of our Barn Swallows.  Usually they arrive here between 18th-21st April.

Posted

Down at the lake this morning heard a song thrush belting out the full repertoire but couldn't see it.Eventually spotted it right at top of a tall tree.

T 1.jpg

Great Tit thinking about it                                                          Okay then                                      Blue Tit taking a peek

GT.jpgGT 1.jpgBT.jpg

Lake plunged into shadow by large Cu.

L.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

Great stuff Knocker, Nice to see them feeding from your hand! 

Posted
26 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Great stuff Knocker, Nice to see them feeding from your hand! 

It's funny how they vary Polar. Blue Tits are very nervy whereas Robins will actually sit there for quite a long time The longest I've had is about a minute

Posted

No'19 was born last night, Although chilly its nice and dry for them which is a bonus. Also 2 Wood Pigeons seem to be enjoying the grass seed i laid the other day!

20160418_153242_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160418_153754_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted

Right on cue tonight. He is investigating the steading already. I love his chattering.

untitled (1 of 1)-10.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Not very pleasant down at the lake this morning. Thick Ci giving almost total cover and a 25mph easterly blowing along the valley. Just had time to feed a Robin

R.jpgR 1.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7

Posted

Cracking day here. I've just got back from a walk down to Downton by the river.

We spotted a couple of goslings having a drink.

IMGP0405_sm.jpg

IMGP0405_cr.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Yes been a fantastic Spring day, Great to see the Robin feeding from the hand Knocker, Great stuff! The last of the few sheep have Lambed yesterday, Great conditions for them.

20160420_190722_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3