Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

The 2010 december snow really attracted the wildlife into garden Saw my first ever Waxwing that year, Had Red legged Partridge in garden, Normally they stay other side of field, Had Magpie who got very friendly and would take shelled peanuts from my hand, This winter due I think to rain just not getting many birds in, Having trouble keeping seed in feeders dry [ just getting mushy] Seen no Robins here for few months, I know prolonged very cold not good for birds,but think the very wet also create issues for some breeds, The sight of Hedgehogs here now very rare. The only one saw last year was unfortunatly dead, Was not road kill but in neighbours front garden, Only few neighbours here,[ Rural] We all decided not use Slug pellets, so fingers crossed might start seeing hedgehogs again, Got some really big slugs in garden this winter, result of wet weather combined with slug pellet ban,,,,,,,,, And just to add Green woodpeckers enjoying the soft ground

Edited by cerneman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Thanks for tips on my wildlife garden project, With forecast more settled weather hope to get out and move project foreward, Did anyone have issues during summer with bites? Up by wildlife pond had swarms mosquitos, The bites from them very nasty this year, My wife finished up casuality and being put on antibiotics, Did see item on news about the subject, I installed pump in pond to try keep running water, In mornings the dead mosquitos formed film over pond. Think the wet summer increased mosquitos, but why the bites caused extreme reaction is mystery, I was getting really inflammed bites and as say my wife experienced really severe reaction,

There's a chance it may not have been Mosquito's but instead bites from a joyful little thing called the Blandford Fly. I had a nasty run in with the things a couple of years ago where I collapsed at work and the para medics thought it was a heart attack, it turned out to be a reaction to a Blandford bite, a friend also spent a couple of weeks in hospital due to an infection caused by them.

http://www.webmd.boots.com/travel/blandford-fly-bite-symptoms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7915695/Blandford-fly-surge-in-infected-insect-bites-blamed-on-new-superfly.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

There's a chance it may not have been Mosquito's but instead bites from a joyful little thing called the Blandford Fly. I had a nasty run in with the things a couple of years ago where I collapsed at work and the para medics thought it was a heart attack, it turned out to be a reaction to a Blandford bite, a friend also spent a couple of weeks in hospital due to an infection caused by them.

http://www.webmd.boo...y-bite-symptoms

http://www.telegraph...w-superfly.html

I was bitten by one on the side of my knee as I was walking to catch the bus after school (Shaftesbury) when I was 16). In a few hours it had swollen badly and I couldn't bend my knee. Evil little blighters, even the beer named after it tastes yuck.

• Like 1

Posted

Could have been the Blandford fly, Just hope it clears off for next summer, Hope some hard frosts before winters end, Might help clear the bugs from the ground

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

I'm just back from walking the dog round the village in daylight (OH normally does the daytime runs!) and was amazed to see some primroses in flower on a bank at the end of the road. I will get a picture as soon as I can.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I'm never going to get out into the garden this week.Everywhere is so boggy and sadly only just now I found two dead sparrows by the hedgePosted Image I reckon they've probably drowned. Poor things. I try so hard to help the wildlife with plenty of food and shelter but I've got to remember that sadly I will come across incidents like this .Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I'm never going to get out into the garden this week.Everywhere is so boggy and sadly only just now I found two dead sparrows by the hedgePosted Image I reckon they've probably drowned. Poor things. I try so hard to help the wildlife with plenty of food and shelter but I've got to remember that sadly I will come across incidents like this .Posted Image

Sad when find dead birds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope get some more nesting boxes up next couple weeks, Must admit looking foreward to spring,long time to wait,
  • Like 1

Posted

Talking to Wildlife trust warden today, The sparring and boxing display by the Hares is very early or could be youngsters just playing. but did look like adults,

• Like 1

Posted

The primroses on the bank in the village.

post-8165-0-24282400-1357054162_thumb.jp

post-8165-0-62688400-1357054177_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

A ramble round various parks in central London today revealed that the snowdrops are late (only one or two clumps and not that many showing above ground), only one bit of forsythia, no daffodil spikes and far fewer of the early-flowering cherry trees than I've seen at this time of year in other years. There were, however, some roses still out and a few daisies.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Those primroses are quite early , i havent seen any snowdrops yet.

A mistle thrush has been singing late afternoon, and a blackbird has also been singing. The blackbird seems to of chosen a particular tree for its singing patch already.

Posted

There are some primroses in flower in Rotherham town centre. The ones in our garden are showing signs of flower growth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello all.

Whilst self-advertising is probably against the forum rules, I just this once wanted to give you lot the heads up on a new Facebook venture that I have started. It will solely be dedicated to nature observations throughout the season. Posted Image

https://www.facebook.com/naturestimeline

Best Wishes for a fun-packed nature watching and weather observing 2013.

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

There are some primroses in flower in Rotherham town centre. The ones in our garden are showing signs of flower growth.

been in flower for 3 weeks here even got trees with green buds on there is gonna be carnage if this stratosphere warming comes off.

Posted

Get layer of snow on plants will keep them nice and insulated from cold and frost, Tree blossom would suffer,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I've reported this in the daffodil watch thread......I have noticed trees and shrubs in my local park with pink blossom on them, they are not fully in bloom ie not completely covered just odd ones, and my mums Magnolia tree has big buds all over it, she reckons its early by about a month

Posted

Think there be some acceleration in growth over coming week with mild conditions, Around here the Moles been very active, The hill side looks like moonscape,Mole hills appearing everywhere, They normally burrow deep in winter, There extra activity could be result of mild wet conditions

Currently there are about 15 Magipes in a tree outside my window chattering and chasing each other, I wonder if they are having a 'marriage meeting'. Darwin talked about these 'marriages' during mild weather in the winter where they find a mate.

Posted

Currently there are about 15 Magipes in a tree outside my window chattering and chasing each other, I wonder if they are having a 'marriage meeting'. Darwin talked about these 'marriages' during mild weather in the winter where they find a mate.

Forming into winter roost, Maybe the heard about the forecast SSW,,,,,,,,,,lol

Forming into winter roost, Maybe the heard about the forecast SSW,,,,,,,,,,lol

Blimey I hope they aren't hyping it up as well!

I also just heard a blackbird singing, bit wrong for early January? It doesn't even feel that mild.

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Sad when find dead birds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope get some more nesting boxes up next couple weeks, Must admit looking foreward to spring,long time to wait,

Yes, definitely looking forward to SpringPosted ImageI am now rethinking on the best place to put my robin box although it's stuck in a hedge at the moment facing East.The robin/s seems to be spending a lot of time under a large Choisya shrub so I'm thinking of maybe moving it there. My nest box out the front is facing SE and has only been up for a week and yesterday I recorded two visits from 2 blue tits which had a fight inside the box.I was going to move it 10 ft up a pine tree facing East ready for nesting season but not to sure if I should move it at all now. My 2 roosters are still in every late afternoon at quarter past four I'm going to start my nest box diary next month and look forward to participating in the nest record scheme for the BTO. Roll on Spring .Posted Image Mind,saying that, we could really do with a severe frost before hand so I can sort my horrible clay sodden soil in my garden.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, definitely looking forward to SpringPosted ImageI am now rethinking on the best place to put my robin box although it's stuck in a hedge at the moment facing East.The robin/s seems to be spending a lot of time under a large Choisya shrub so I'm thinking of maybe moving it there. My nest box out the front is facing SE and has only been up for a week and yesterday I recorded two visits from 2 blue tits which had a fight inside the box.I was going to move it 10 ft up a pine tree facing East ready for nesting season but not to sure if I should move it at all now. My 2 roosters are still in every late afternoon at quarter past four I'm going to start my nest box diary next month and look forward to participating in the nest record scheme for the BTO. Roll on Spring .Posted Image Mind,saying that, we could really do with a severe frost before hand so I can sort my horrible clay sodden soil in my garden.

My new nest boxes should have been up in Autumn,bit late really to start now,resident birds already eyeing up suitable sites, Just try shelter mine from direct wind, Had major issues last winter with rats, They actually climbing trees to get at my feeders, The top end garden infested with them,, They finished up in downstairs toilet having found way in via sewer pipe, Had to have trays poison on toilet floor, Was nightmare for few weeks, Anyway was so bad had to stop feeding birds and take down some nest boxes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The funny thing was that the apples that on my apple trees during autumn had all been half eaten by the rats, Since they poisoned off seems clear this year, but very wary now, Did not like using poison, but when they get indoors theres no choice,,, Hope soil will dry out with some dying weather and yes few frosts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,best luck

Posted

Having twice daily fly over by swans, out in morning back evening, Know where coming from but still not understanding where they going to spend there day feeding, Have no body of water that should make it worth there daily commute, They most have found some water that making it worth there daily journey where food is plentiful away from competition, This is I am sure due to flooding of what normal uninteresting areas of water, Never fails to surprise how wildlife will quickly adapt and take advantage of new sources of food

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Two Pheasants on the lawn today..Had a good feed of mixed seed...Then strutted off ...

• Like 1

Posted

Saw two swans on a flooded field outside Yeovil this afternoon, guess they'd only come from the reservoir at Sutton Bingham (less than a mile as a swan flies), but they looked incongrous there, but quite happy!