Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Netweather Winter Forecast

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

thanks GP - excellent stuff!

anyone know how i can view the slides on full screen? i tried hitting "download as pdf" but nothing happened

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just a quick question re the video forecast.

Between 24 mins and 27 mins GP talks about the temps in December & January ( Bottom Chart ). I cant quite make out what those two blue circles one surrounding the uk as a whole and another circling southern uk and Europe indicate with the writing can anybody help me out?

I think they were Temperature anomaloies, i.e below average. drinks.gif

Posted

I think they were Temperature anomaloies, i.e below average. drinks.gif

Thanks for that mate,

If this is the case what is the difference between the two circles i.e one circling the uk as a whole and one smaller circling the southern half of the uk and europe?

Many thanks again good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Everything in small doses!

Thank you for saying all the things, I wanted to hear, in a very convincing way! You are now my screen saver pin up Mr Rampling! xair_kiss.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Thanks for that mate,

If this is the case what is the difference between the two circles i.e one circling the uk as a whole and one smaller circling the southern half of the uk and europe?

the larger blue circle has "well below average" written in it - i think.

anyway the main point here is him saying a strong signal for low pressure over europe for december

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

Thanks for that mate,

The smaller outline around the UK was purely a choice in shape to keep the larger ellipse from extending too far south/north while still covering the relevant areas

Posted

The smaller outline around the UK was purely a choice in shape to keep the larger ellipse from extending too far south/north while still covering the relevant areas

Thank you Ian for clearing that up smile.png

It was a just a bit confusing i did not know if the smaller circle covering the southern half of the uk and southern europe indicated well below compared to the circle covering the uk indicating below temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Outdoors

anyone know how i can view the slides on full screen? i tried hitting "download as pdf" but nothing happened

Unfortunately, we have to lock the pdf's to protect from redistribution without us being aware of where Stewart's work will pop up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, lots of it.

I don't often post but I wanted to say a big thankyou to the Stewart and the the Net weather forecasting team for an excellent presentation. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp..

Excellent forcast.. brilliantly presented !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fresh n Funky
Posted · Hidden by Methuselah, November 27, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Methuselah, November 27, 2012 - No reason given

Unfortunately, we have to lock the pdf's to protect from redistribution without us being aware of where Stewart's work will pop up.

Quite right too, I can imagine what the tabloid press would do with Stew's excellent work! On another note I imagine the 'other Ian' aka 'TMW' is well miffed the m'odern w'inter appears dead for now!

Posted

That said there is a full screen button on the presentation, it's the one with 4 arrows pointing out diagonally.

Ok so this is the first post I have ever written on netweather.

I discovered all of the different weather websites last year, after I became a little fixated about the possiblility of bad weather. I love cold weather but hate snow (please don't hate me :)!!).

I have found myself become a little obsessed again this year.

I am comparing all weather possibilites to how bad it was in December 2010 in Newcastle - I hated it!!!

I do find all of these posts interesting and admit I don't know how to read the weather charts but think that I will make it my new hobbie from January onwards - and then maybe next year I will be in a better position to get more involved with these conversations :)

I have watched Stewarts forecast and please correct me if I am wrong - I am getting the impression that December is going to be colder than last year and may be slightly colder than average but as far as prolonged cold and major snow events e.t.c that is forecast as happening in the new year more so in January?

Posted

Thanks a lot Stewart,

Sounding like a very interesting and potentially brilliant Winter 2012/13,

Hope your work into this pays dividends with plenty of UK Snow :)

Posted

Hi Nicola, welcome to Netweather and thanks for diving in!

Posted

I've watched the summary and when I've time I'll watch the more in-depth one, I'm most impressed at the simplicity of the summary for such a complicated subject with regards to teleconnections. I noticed your percentages of cold v mild scenarios, if any mild was to win out where would the attack come from GP?

Posted

I discovered all of the different weather websites last year, after I became a little fixated about the possiblility of bad weather. I love cold weather but hate snow (please don't hate me smile.png!!).

I have found myself become a little obsessed again this year.

I am comparing all weather possibilites to how bad it was in December 2010 in Newcastle - I hated it!!!

I do find all of these posts interesting and admit I don't know how to read the weather charts but think that I will make it my new hobbie from January onwards - and then maybe next year I will be in a better position to get more involved with these conversations smile.png

I have watched Stewarts forecast and please correct me if I am wrong - I am getting the impression that December is going to be colder than last year and may be slightly colder than average but as far as prolonged cold and major snow events e.t.c that is forecast as happening in the new year more so in January?

Welcome aboard Nicola

It's really hard (make that impossible) to pick out things like snow events etc within a long range forecast, so although Stewart picks out the Jan as most likely for a prolonged cold period, that doesn't rule out other periods bringing snow / cold. smile.png

Posted

I've just made that mistake, although just seen you can enlarge it!

An excellent well written forecast, lets hope it comes off! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Superb work compliments the early thoughts very well.

Great construction - builds up the leading factors in the atmosphere and gives clear definition of each month. Love the CPC style confidence weightings to.

Not seen anything out there to rival this.

Some brilliant analogs in there, I liked the reference to North East Siberia, wouldn't have given Kamchatkan Ridge a mention on video - could be a mouthful !!

Well done Stewart & Netweather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny

excellent GP,good luck and i bet you wont be far off with all of it... and an early one for you "Happy Christmas"

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Well done, Stewart, leading the way as ever, bringing the complex teleconnective indices together in a well explained and thoroughly researched forecast.

Oh and forget your razor that day, did you?

Good luck - you will need that extra facial growth to protect you from the cold that you are predicting.

Ed

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Thanks GP. As ever a well reasoned and constructed forecast. To be honest yours is one of the very few that I give any credence to whatsoever.