Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Torrential rain just started here again. Come on cold come and cheer us up from this horrible rain.

Posted

Lows tracking SE from the Atlantic could be interesting for the SW as mentioned in the model output thread.

I found this from yesterday...quite interesting...

"ECM T144 not bad ? ? It's game over for cold going well forward from there. "........guess who.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

God knows what the weather will be next weekend. Could be anything from snow - dry - rain - cold - average.

Right now however it is overcast & chilly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Before anyone panics over the GFS 6z and the other overnight runs, it would be very wise to heed Chinio's post below.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75083-model-output-discussion-18z-25th-nov-onward/page__st__420#entry2416714

His thoughts tally very well with mine and considering he's got far more knowledge and understanding of climate dynamics than I could ever have, I see it as good thing, indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Chilly day and staying that way untill ?????? 7c.at the moment.Nice to see the breaks in the cloud...

Posted

Must have had an awful lot more rain than I realised this weekend (or last night?) as we have huge puddles of standing water here which is unusual.

I'm blimmin cold today - might take myself up for a nap in my cosy warm bed as I have a day off :D

Posted

For us in the SW, a second bite of the cherry might better in the long run. This early in the season it is always difficult to get a sustained and snowy period of weather.

Patience perhaps needed, I still think we will have some snow this side of Christmas. Lots of positives do December on the whole too. See Ian's post in the MOD thread.

Posted

We could be looking at a snow event going by some discussions in the MOD thread. A milder interlude for the far SW maybe, and some snow on the eastern edge for some??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I know there are still positives but I get the feeling we will see an m4 corridor situation all to often poping up in the cool/cold spell coming into view and we all no how frustrating that can be...

Transient snow on the edge of atlantic fronts don't sound great. tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

This early in the season it is always difficult to get a sustained and snowy period of weather.

Difficult? I can't even get that at any stage in winter, not in the last 17 years anyway. rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

This video shows the rainfall from midnight Saturday 24th November to the 6.00 am this morning using satellite and rainfall radar imagery.

The top ten rainfall totals recorded during this time were:

Plymouth, Mountbatten 72 mm

Scilly: St Marys Airport 66.6 mm

Cardinham, Bodmin 66.2 mm

Dunkeswell Aerodrome 60.8 mm

Camborne 59.6 mm

Exeter Airport 55.6 mm

Fylingdales 51.8 mm

Culdrose 49 mm

Capel Curig 49 mm

North Wyke 48.2 mm

This is on top of the rainfall from last week, for last week's totals see

http://metofficenews...-totals-update/

Posted

There's some emotional people in the MOD thread!

Thankfully for most of the working week now, its looking dry & chilly down here, with some decent frosts likely.

Just got to find some puddles that freeze over now so I can relive my childhood & skid! lol. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Would you believe it.....That dry I enjoyed a walk this morning...Well, down to the surgery and back via the long way...The breeze was cold on the face though...

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Final total for the last week....143mm. That's 120% of the average for the WHOLE of November over the last 13 years. I realise that we were not amongst the hardest hit and so many other places in the SW will have much higher totals.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

My own rain guage isn't working but the station just down road on mendip is reading 202mm for november so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I know there are still positives but I get the feeling we will see an m4 corridor situation all to often poping up in the cool/cold spell coming into view and we all no how frustrating that can be...

Transient snow on the edge of atlantic fronts don't sound great. tease.gif

I'm still up for demolishing the damn thing if we can get a work party together. Let's face it, no one knows what those motorway repair blokes are up to, we could do it over-night and no one would be any the wiser until it was too late. You'd have thought with all the rain we've had, at least a part of it could have been washed away.

Posted

All happy in the MOD thread again. lol.

I'm probably the only one, but this tweet from Ian Fergusson is something im looking forward too;

W COUNTRY WEEK AHEAD After showery rain tonight into Tuesday AM, it's a dry, colder story developing; fog/freezing fog likely by Friday AM

Freezing fog is something I love, especially viewing it from a hill over a valley.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

I posted in the mod thread this morning for the first time ever, got fed up with certain posters who were so quick to post rubbish like it's all over, the writings on the wall for this cold spell blah blah blah, I swear some people never learn, it's almost like they were completely ignoring the UKMO and the fact that it's been rock solid in it's output these last few days, of course that doesn't mean it's right but if there's one model you need on board where cold is shown it's the UKMO, tonight there's a few members with egg on their faces who were saying it was all over, it's clearly not yet, plenty of twists and turns to come.

Edited by Smartie

Posted

Indeed but...

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather

"@95michael28: @fergieweather UKMO Bitter easterlies still on its sticking to its guns whats your thoughts?" Uncertain. We await 12z UKMO-GM

I saw that too. What's the UKMO-GM?

Anyway, of course he is going to say that because it all is very uncertain still. Ian probably has just as big a headache as we all do. :p :p