Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Upcoming Cold (Chilly?) Snap

Paul

Posted

To get this thread going here's what the GFS currently says

Very cold this Friday in Northern parts of the country down to -5c in some places

post-6686-0-30150800-1350999541_thumb.pn

On Saturday the cold conditions will move South affecting most of England giving temps of -3c in some places

post-6686-0-06205900-1350999594_thumb.pn

Then Monday next week back to being cold in the North again

The snow charts look interesting

Thursday this week snow over the far North,

Friday some wintry conditions may move more South

Then Monday again wintry over the North

Overall low temperatures from Friday this week to Monday at the moment look likely and for snow the exact details are not yet known but we should get a better idea as we draw closer to the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

To get this thread going here's what the GFS currently says

Very cold this Friday in Northern parts of the country down to -5c in some places

post-6686-0-30150800-1350999541_thumb.pn

On Saturday the cold conditions will move South affecting most of England giving temps of -3c in some places

post-6686-0-06205900-1350999594_thumb.pn

Then Monday next week back to being cold in the North again

The snow charts look interesting

Thursday this week snow over the far North,

Friday some wintry conditions may move more South

Then Monday again wintry over the North

Overall low temperatures from Friday this week to Monday at the moment look likely and for snow the exact details are not yet known but we should get a better idea as we draw closer to the weekend.

That GFS run shows snow for here.. I doubt it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Hi all looking at the weather outlook charts they show snow for southeast and everywhere else from Sunday/Monday onwards onwards for a two three days. Unlikely but you never know

Have you got a link? The charts I'm looking at show nothing but rain?

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/datmdlout.aspx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Just think. This time last year we would have given our right arm for charts that show something like these.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

what temp has it got to be for a cold snap?

Try this link when assessing your local temperatures, when compared to the norm. I understand maxes for my region of approximately 13c to 14c are about right for the current time, dropping quickly as we head into November. A snap to me is a spell such as a toppler, which invariably lasts only a day or two. This colder spell will surely last longer than that. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Dunno, but in these parts I'm expecting it to feel a lot nicer and warmer in the sunshine at the weekend than it does under the current low cloud and drizzle!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I think 5 degrees below average would definitely be considered as cold in my book.

The average for October around these parts is 15C. So 7C forecast for Saturday is very cold.

(day time temps)

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

Just think. This time last year we would have given our right arm for charts that show something like these.....

Funnily enough we happened to be in a very similar weather pattern to what we're experiencing right this moment last Autumn which went on for weeks and weeks with little to no interesting weather on the horizon, thankfully it only seems to be a bit of a blip this time though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Funnily enough we happened to be in a very similar weather pattern to what we're experiencing right this moment last Autumn which went on for weeks and weeks with little to no interesting weather on the horizon, thankfully it only seems to be a bit of a blip this time though.

True. but we didnt have any snow on the cards...just this mild muck we currently have...went on forever.....well it seemed like it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, lots of it.

Are the temperatures for Kent on Saturday forecasted to be 7 degrees daytime max, dropping to about zero overnight? Just that I'm off to an evening wedding reception on Saturday - Marquee and Portaloos (can't believe it's an outside event at this time of year). So just want to be prepared.

Posted

I'm going with snow limited to higher ground in Scotland, cold and wet a little further South towards the borders and from Cheshire downwards maybe just cold over the weekend?

78_20.gif

84_20.gif

Back to cold and rain in Scotland and the North again by Sunday?

132_20.gif

Posted

On the link you have shown click on snow depth at the side. I may be wrong I apologise if I am

I'm new to the weather scene

Yeah you're right! I'm a little confused by that

post-7073-0-09732700-1351005133_thumb.pn

Posted

Daniel

They have been showing that for a couple of days now. Very consistent. It shows know for two three days

I meant shows snow. I'm ttyping on my phone

And yet the snow risk charts show nothing, I think they must be wrong, i'm almost certain there wont be any snowfall away from higher ground in the North, let alone accumulative snowfall in the South.

Posted

Owww, something interesting now showing up for the area between the North York Moors and The Dales overnight and into Monday morning:

post-6667-0-20714100-1351005619_thumb.jp

This might spread a little further South then?

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/uk

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yeah you're right! I'm a little confused by that

post-7073-0-09732700-1351005133_thumb.pn

Check the date Daniel, it shows Monday 29th, so I assume this is the reload scenario against which a few comments have been made. I must say though, the last impression I got of the second attempt was that conditions at the surface wouldn't be cold enough for snow. However, at this stage upgrades or downgrades are both there for the taking.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

And yet the snow risk charts show nothing, I think they must be wrong, i'm almost certain there wont be any snowfall away from higher ground in the North, let alone accumulative snowfall in the South.

I think there could be some snow showers in Shetland/Orkney and parts of Northern and Eastern Scotland as the -10Hpa briefly flirts with these areas but PPN amounts look rather unspectacular mind.

Elsewhere, it will be chilly and cold, its interesting that the BBC/UKMO are forecasting Saturday to be sunny and cold yet the GFS suggests it will be cool and damp and to be honest a bit miserable and with the BBC/UKMO slight embarrassment of this "Indian summer" spell, then there is the potential of more egg on the faces of the BBC/UKMO if the GFS is right!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

It does say the snow depths chart is experimental..a bag of salt needed.

Posted

It's weird isn't it?

Maybe the models know something we don't. Lol

I've just been talking to Brian Gaze on Twitter and hes pretty much confirmed they're experimental and generally not very good, his advice was to stick with the precip type charts and ignore the snow depth ones, never used the snow depth myself, they're always pretty rubbish

Edited by Daniel AKA WMD