Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arctic Ice: How Does It Influence Our Weather?

Methuselah

Posted
49 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Given that we are inline for a near-record amount of Arctic ice-melt, maybe it's time to resurrect this ancient thread..

Good idea. Is there a simple map of current anomalies to have a look at?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
23 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

Good idea. Is there a simple map of current anomalies to have a look at?

I'm not sure what's available, just now, GF, and I may be a wee bit early in reviving the thread, in any case, so let's hope the upcoming autumn produces some more-up-to-the-minute data?

I am however 100% certain that Arctic feedbacks (like most feedbacks, really?) are as-yet far from fully understood...So, with this year's sea-ice being in a somewhat parlous state, the next few months' developments might lead to a greater understanding? 

And gaining a greater understanding is, after all, the very essence of science, IMO?:oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
On 16/07/2019 at 21:19, Ed Stone said:

Given that we are inline for a near-record amount of Arctic ice-melt, maybe it's time to resurrect this ancient thread...? I'm thinking that we might experience some unusual weather, here in Blighty, come late November or December?

But, whether we do, or whether we don't, the coming winter ought to be a good test of the hypothesis that suggests an anomalously warm Arctic (following an anomalously high amount of summertime ice-melting) should cause high-pressure systems to dominate the Arctic, resulting in a negative Arctic Oscillation, and thus allowing cold air to penetrate middle latitudes...?

What's the use of an hypothesis, if it cannae be tested?:oldgrin:

No idea about our weather but surely the ridiculasy warrm SSTS in the Chuckchi and Bering seas will have an affect of very slow sea ice growth and risk of ridges with warm air riding in thanks to the high SSTS? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 hours ago, Geordiesnow said:

No idea about our weather but surely the ridiculasy warrm SSTS in the Chuckchi and Bering seas will have an affect of very slow sea ice growth and risk of ridges with warm air riding in thanks to the high SSTS? 

Aye, GS, it was those that prompted me to bring back the thread. Those, and the fact that I've been reading-up on the Arctic Oscillation...:oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
On 24/09/2015 at 18:01, phil nw. said:

I am sure there is a lot of truth in that BFTV- wrt greater ice cover meaning colder northerlies years ago in Winter.

From memory, when i was but a young lad in the 60's, i recall northerlies being colder.

I seem to remember occasional ice bridges forming in late winter between Iceland and Greenland when the southern limit of the pack Ice almost reached the North coast of Iceland.

Looking back through the archives here's an example of a bitter cyclonic northerly in February 1969

post-2026-0-80234800-1443113581_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-66285400-1443113608_thumb.pn

we can see how much colder the Arctic plunge was compared to what we seem to get these days.I mean -12c uppers across the UK right down to the south from an Arctic Maritime northerly -unheard of now.

Yes maximum of 23F in old money with a strong northerly straight off the Firth with heavy drifting snow showers and a day off school. Great!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy