Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Discussion

The watcher

Posted

Completely forgot about Summer not having alot of warmth and sunshine, so yes, that would explain the cooler SST's good.gif .

I do remember a discussion once about warmer SST's aiding High Pressure development in that region, but wasn't sure if this is a true sentiment or not. Does that hold any weight or is it just myth?

Not a myth but I don't fully understand how the localized warmer that normal around the edge of the ice adds up overall, if you see the maps you can see what I mean, the warmth looks a little string and the are is very condensed up there for the lassical model of how high forms to fit. Idea is that warm air when it cools falls and creates High pressure. Easy to understand in the azores area, in Russia, but in the arctic region I just don't know. Best guess is that it might cause more high pressure for a while in early winter in the region, northern blocking perhaps, but my knowledge is akin to a 10 year old with basic maths modeling string theory.

Posted

Hello again all.... there's a definite nip in the air again,especially in the early morning and late at night! Will soon be time to crank up the heating in the evenings!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Makes me wish my dad had kept the chimneys open in this house and relined them. Would have loved to got a good old burner in, nothing beats the smell of a nice log/peat fire in the winter.

Posted

Yes I'll be sawing wood from logs I have stored, love the fire and to be honest once you are used to it you can't imagine weekends without lighting the fire. The bad side is that if you have any drafts at all the fire will suck air into the room, on a standard chimney. I'll get around to a proper stove burner thing some time that get air from the chimney somehow. We could cut down imports and sustain our heating needs easily in this country with wood if there was co-ordiantion.

Posted

Hello all. Just back from several weeks on the continent where temps were in the 40s. It's grey, overcast and cold in Belfast at the moment. Welcome back to Ireland, lol. We don't even have a fire as OH changed the wood fire for gas last year and guess what....it's packed up. It's definitely autumnal. Looks like we're going to have a reasonable and dry weekend then launch into a full-blown autumn season with westerlies, rain and low temps. Ah well, can't wait for the first of the winter forecasts from the likes of GP.

Posted

A bit of the Wet stuff heading our way overnight and tommorow morning followed by showers.

Looking decidedly cold in some of the runs for next week, though all 4 models (ECM, GFS, JEM and UKMO) showing a HUGE difference at just 144hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hi guys! I disappeared for a while, but seeing as summer seems to have home and left us, I'm back :D. I think this autumn may be slightly cooler than normal but fairly dry. Found it hard to get out of bed a few days during the week as it has definitely cooled down. All this talk of fires made me wish I had one!

Posted

Hello Juuyoku welcome back I see a few of us aul hands are starting to appear againdrinks.gif

I now what ypou mean about the nip in the air, will have to order some coal and oil soon, there seems to be a bit of excitment in the Winter 12/13 thread but I suppose that is to be expexted at this time of the yeardrinks.gif

Personally I am waiting to see how long before the swallows leave before I commit to anythingacute.gif

Posted

Welcome back Juuyoku, you might not be far wrong with the cooler Autumn, if we can squeeze through September with below average temps it's certainly a greater possibility than an above normal, especially with what GP, Chiono and longer forecast charts are saying. Who knows though, the proof will be in the pudding soon enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

I think there might be the potential for some ground frosts at the end of the week, particularly across Ulster and in parts of Leinster. Met Éireann are forecasting lows of down to 2ºC on Thursday night, although more like 8ºC where I live. :(

It certainly feels a lot more Autumnal at the moment. As much as I love warmth I much prefer this to this Indian Summer lark (if it can even be called that, as last year's "Indian Summer" brought rain, wind and mild muck. Oh joy rolleyes.gif )

Posted

great to see all you winter heads back on the forum! bit of a buzz on here already. things really have cooled down nicely and looking forward to first frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Coldest night of the Autumn so far. Looks like Mullingar dropped to 0C!

http://irelandsweather.com/

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Coldest night of the autumn so far here last night. Min temp 5.6c

Posted

Something to watch out for next Tuesday though... Potentially the first storm of the Autumn.

Posted

Pretty cold last night! Did any of you see the meteor shower? Was out feeding the dog last night around 10.30/11 and there was about 10/20 bright red/orange lights shooting thought the sky towards Donegal! Pretty amazing to see and something i've never seen before!

Posted

It was brilliant to see Pomeroy! I have a picture that I'll upload later! Can't do it on my phone! We had a ground frost this morning to but it was strange as in Derry it was 1 degree then on top of the Coleraine mountain it was 7 then in Coleraine it was 4! Lol!

Posted

Looking forward to our first decent autumnal storm, though at this stage, looks like most of the heavy rain will miss us...

Posted

Large amounts of rain forecast for tomorrow especially eastern areas! I love this time of year! Took a drive down to Donegal today with the family! The landscape has changed so much in the past week or 2! Crisp mornings and sunny days! Lovely! Lol