Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Oh well,roll on the weekend. drinks.gifbiggrin.png

Yes indeed, It is looking better as each minute goes on, especially Sunday, shear is looking higher on that day, so we may well be seeing some proper hook echoes! Winds will be all over the place, meaning greater risk of tornadic activity.

Posted

Hi cloud10...That's not really a hook echo as such....A hook echo that would make a storm enthusiast sit up and take notice would be much tighter in size and would have a pronounced rainfall variance around the hook...What the radar run actually shows is a decaying clump of showers IMHO smile.png

...In saying that it's decaying, some lightning strikes are showing up on the southern flank of those showers near Ely

Something like this perhaps?

It does look slightly more potent than the one i posted. laugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Something like this perhaps?

It does look slightly more potent than the one i posted. laugh.png

If I saw that coming my way on the radar the air would quickly be full of the pungent aroma of something brown & runny! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I can't say that I'm not looking-forward to a thundery weekend!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Had some verry heavy showers here in brum ressently but the sun was shining thru out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Nice little cell has morphed into a thunderstorm to the SW of Stoke in the NW Midlands...not heading this way sadly, but nice to see something happen in the west (north west) midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Nice little cell has morphed into a thunderstorm to the SW of Stoke in the NW Midlands...not heading this way sadly, but nice to see something happen in the west (north west) midlands

yep...just too far south of here.....still stormless for the year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I can see the anvil

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

No storms here in the south east, me thinks some storm forecasts should be more careful when they forecast for the south east

Posted

The line which gave some parts of Somerset around 40mm of rain this afternoon (including flooding in Wells) has finally started to move

quite swiftly East this evening bringing a lovely gust front and sudden downpour in the last 15 minutes.

Posted

Absolutely torrential rain here, large raindrops falling with vis dropping down to half a mile at best. No sferics but one of the better cells we've had so far this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Had a great rain storm earlier in central Bedford, few rumbles of thunder to! There seems to be a big red blob on the radar heading towards kent shortly....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Thunder 5.15-5.40 here, hope the weekend is thundery too.. still some heavy showers around...

Posted

No storms here in the south east, me thinks some storm forecasts should be more careful when they forecast for the south east

What a strange thing to post, especially from a long-time member such as yourself.....I'm struggling to actually work out what you mean...Are you suggesting that the NW forecasters & other media forecasts just carelessly toss out convective forecasts on a whim?.....or would it be more a fair reflection to say that you're disappointed not to get a storm and you're living up to your user name, eh Neil? wink.png

anyhoos, folks in south eastern counties should give their attention to the radar and to what's drifting up towards the SE from France

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Great cloudscapes with lots of scud way out west over the hills, probably from that line of cells coming across from Lancashire. Made even better against the red of the setting sun.

No sferics around here but that storm over Staffordshire my graze me to the east if it holds together.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

What a strange thing to post, especially from a long-time member such as yourself.....

Estofex Level 1 severe

Edited by Victor Meldrew

Posted

Estofex Level 1 severe

Neil, the forecast issued by Estofex was for a risk of severe weather, indeed Skywarn, Torro & NW forecasts commented on this risk...Parameters were condusive to an increased risk of severe weather...Notice the use of the word 'risk'...at no time did any forecasting organization use words to the effect of 'Definite severe weather' or '100%' chance, did they?

Posted

If I saw that coming my way on the radar the air would quickly be full of the pungent aroma of something brown & runny! rofl.gif

A nice roast dinner could calm the nerves i suppose. biggrin.png

Slightly more on topic,a fair few strikes showing up to the NW of Nottingham.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It's pitch black to my SW.. genuinely surprised there's no lightning flashing away.. looks can be deceiving.

Posted

Some torrential rain here is south west Sheffield. Ive seen 3 flashes of lightning in the heaviest of the rain. Local flooding on the road to Fox house.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just had a good storm pass over here, lasted around 20 min.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Keeping an eye on the showers heading towards where I am now (5 miles east of York)

Seems to be just showers now, no new sferics for a while unfortunately.

Plenty of very good 360 views around here, so if anything does hit this area in the next few days I should be able to get some great views and hopefully some good pics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I can't see too much here tomorrow, think the main thrust of activity will be further north in central England.

My attention is now drawn to the weekend. Some good, widespread Cape & LI values are consistently being shown now, with widespread PPN too.

Be interesting to see the High Res charts tomorrow and see more detail.

So close today, with a decent line of cells just to the South of Bristol. But......... It ain't over yet. More to come this weekend hopefully.

And as a side note, Into FI at the end of next week, some candy there for a small bang as warmer air mixes in. Usual black hole over France though!!!!