Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Wahey! Thunder and lightening, wasn't expecting this so late in the day.

God I thought you would have! It looked blacker than the ace of spades down South of Peterborough!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's started! Coming in over Weston again!

Yep, heavy shower moved through here, albeit not as dramatic as early this morning. It's fascinating to watch though, must be something to do with nocturnal cooling rather than the Estuary. This would be an amazing setup for streamer snow in winter with deep cold from a returning northerly turned westerly e.g. 21st December 2009.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just seen an unexpected CG lightning strike and had 2 rumbles of thunder from a shower around 10miles to my east, shame its moving away from me! Didn't think we were to expecting anything at night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Just seen an unexpected CG lightning strike and had 2 rumbles of thunder from a shower around 10miles to my east, shame its moving away from me! Didn't think we were to expecting anything at night?

ooo i hopes it passes over me!

Guest Minimace

Took a couple of pics earlier that I thought people on here might like! Have been looking at the forum for a while and have learnt loads!

Took these pics over in Cambridge

3a2c3915.jpg

02a5b156.jpg

And then managed to get these in northampton

27d50ea2.jpg

ea72fe3c.jpg

Edited by Minimace

Posted

Was watching that storm from the south of you, interesting radar returns, did change direction a few times.

Not suprised re funnel cloud, maybe the boss Paul Sherman could add more.

Here's the radar when the video was taken. I've estimated that it was somewhere over Southgate at the time.

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/16057-random/

And here's the video. Gutted because my Iphone is as slow as a donkey and while the recording app was loading the funnel lost some of its size and was in its dying stages by the time I started filming. Also the pixels mean you have to look closely for the rotation but believe me it was certainly there.

A short while later a low hanging cloud formed visibly sucking up moisture into its base. Wall cloud maybe but difficult to be sure from that distance and low light.

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/16058-img-2589/

Edited by Mikel Nimbus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

More heavy rain last night adding another 30mm+ to the monthly total which now stands at 258.6mm. Was even treated to a a flash of lightning & two rumbles of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

More heavy rain last night adding another 30mm+ to the monthly total which now stands at 258.6mm. Was even treated to a a flash of lightning & two rumbles of thunder.

That is mightily impressive, Steve, and the sort of thing I think about as I drift happily off to sleep.

Yesterday was my 9th consecutive day with less than 1mm of rain ( 8 of them with none ); a month which started with great potential completely ruined.

Posted

I can't get on to ESTOFEX this morning so straight into UKASF:

Storm Forecast Slight

Forecaster: Dan

Last Updated: 2012-07-29 21:48:00

Valid: 2012-07-30 00:00:00 - 2012-07-30 23:59:00

post-6667-0-50461600-1343631043.png

Synopsis:

Upper trough pivots and becomes negatively-tilted, with axis from the Faroes to Denmark. Main jet shifts northwards on the southern flank over southern Britain. Convective showers are likely over northern Britain under the centre of the upper trough.

Discussion:

Diurnal heating will result in 500-600J/kg CAPE, allowing scattered showers and a few weak thunderstorms to develop. With weak shear, a series of 'pulse-type' thunderstorms is expected, and given cold/dry air aloft, hail is likely in stronger cores, potentially up to 2.0cm in diameter locally.

A better overlap of shear is expected over south Yorkshire and into Lincolnshire, and it is here that cells may become better organised, with the chance of a funnel or weak tornado. Showers will rapidly decrease in coverage during the evening as daytime heating subsides and ridging develops ahead of the next frontal system.

21st OWS have everything in the North sea this morning, much like the UKASF map:

053132Z_21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_12073009.GIF

ESTOFEX based lightning wizard also down at the moment so here's the simple GFS as an indicator for the day:

12_20.gif

18_20.gif

Looks like its isolated and in Eastern Scotland today, I'll stick some other charts/info up as and when it becomes available.

18_48.gif

post-6667-0-50461600-1343631043_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

That is mightily impressive, Steve, and the sort of thing I think about as I drift happily off to sleep.

Yesterday was my 9th consecutive day with less than 1mm of rain ( 8 of them with none ); a month which started with great potential completely ruined.

Very wet month indeed, it ended the same way as it started, with two nights of heavy rain on the 3rd & 4th & 29th & 30th. I think those four days alone added 100+mm to the total.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Took a couple of pics earlier that I thought people on here might like! Have been looking at the forum for a while and have learnt loads!

Took these pics over in Cambridge

3a2c3915.jpg

02a5b156.jpg

And then managed to get these in northampton.

27d50ea2.jpg

ea72fe3c.jpg

Very impressive photos Minimace. Thanks for sharing and welcome to Netweather.

Edited by Keraunophile

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Had some very impressive bursts of rain during last night at one point, but for a very short duration it was torrential. I had a look on radar but it was very local and didnt appear to travel too far inland, plus showers seemed to pop up very quick and it was only a quick look on radar between sweat dreams. Was there any thunder about and anybody with a rain gauge for total?

heers drinks.gif

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Valid: 30/07/2012 09:30 - 31/07/2012 00:00

Headline: ... THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST...

post-1052-0-15940600-1343637162_thumb.jp

Synopsis

A cyclonic flow around low pressure close to Scotland will bring a showery regime across the UK on Monday.

... SCOTLAND, N IRELAND, N ENGLAND ...

Coldest upper temps will be across northern UK today (towards -26C at 500mb across Scotland) so here we will see steepest lapse rates and greatest risk of diurnal storms developing with surface heating. Weakly-sheared environment will mean severe weather is unlikely. Storms maybe accompanied by hail, gusty winds and heavy rain which may lead to localised flooding.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looking forward to seeing what today brings. A quite look through the Soundings shows the East of the country set to catch the fun today, with less CAPE inland.. Looks like the North Sea is the place to be !

Posted

Showers getting going a little here now but nothing major (yet)

Posted

Admittedly, not storm pics but very changeable out there, managed to catch this a few mins ago.

627321717.jpg?key=20251081&Expires=1343657356&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=Okh3QApDCKzwafibo1LwIebCiBVBzxm6GiyUgrXQRrXBxGDNaRubDjOYpqt4kodphNnb8G~7MeWFJ-nV9ZI1T6WY8p6Yir1o4hn3FJhQS4N99mjprwE9wvW6pQ2Da21jcV~PwSyVJi~tx54DK03De3BiTqmwUt8QdeA5xW~MPO8_

Posted

Admittedly, not storm pics but very changeable out there, managed to catch this a few mins ago.

Great shot, could you just stick you location in your profile so we know roughly where it was taken please? :good:

Posted

Great shot, could you just stick you location in your profile so we know roughly where it was taken please? good.gif

Thanks, yeah.. fair point. Done! For clarity, i'm on the north east (England) coast.

Posted

Staggering Steve, 60ish mm in Weston from 2 nights of Bristol Channel streamer showers while just 30 or so miles away 2mm from a few sharp showers in the

same time scale!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Staggering Steve, 60ish mm in Weston from 2 nights of Bristol Channel streamer showers while just 30 or so miles away 2mm from a few sharp showers in the

same time scale!

60mm rainfall = 2 feet of snow in winter too. smiliz34.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Yet again Peterborough misses the showers on this direct West wind! They just all seem to travel along the A14 corridor on this type of setup. We seem to get the showers more often on a Southwesterly.

Posted

See out in the Channel just off Dover this morning - my first funnel cloud - apologies for the quality taken on my phone while I was jumping up and down!

post-1560-0-98851500-1343676828_thumb.jp

post-1560-0-97928800-1343676907_thumb.jp

post-1560-0-80780200-1343676923_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Caught a funnel today over the Solway whilst travelling to Carlisle. It doesn't look as impressive on the photo as I was using my mobile and zoomed in a little, but you can make it out.

post-9615-0-75823100-1343679649_thumb.jp

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Rhip good photos, in the pic with the boats, there seems to be a distant funnel between the masts?......two funnels in that pic...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Great images folks. Last time I saw a funnel cloud was August 1997.