Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Climemet Cm2000 Weather Station

Posted

My Missus bought me a Climemet CM2000 weather station for my 50th birthday cos I really want to get into weather data collection and some form of very amateur forecasting. I just wanted to know people's thoughts on this type of station and whether as a starting point, they are any good. Are they reliable and do they provide accurate data if anyone out there has used one before. In short is there anyone who can give me a review.

I haven't set it up yet but hope to do so in the next couple of weeks if this incessant rain doesn't drown me when I try! I hope that someone can let me know what they think and also perhaps, what sort of station would be the best if I ever wanted to upgrade in the future.

Looking forward to your thoughts

Posted

It looks OK for the money, you'll get some data for your location and overtime it becomes quite interesting to compare averages from year to year etc.

Pleased to see it connects to computer so I guess there will be options to upload data e.g. to Wunderground, perhaps using Cumulus.

It will be easier to decide if you want to spend more on a 'better' station when you've run it a year or two.

Eventually sensors will start to fail and whereas with a davis or whatever you can just replace the one sensor, with the cheaper ones you might just as well buy a whole new thing sometimes.

Most of them will give decent accuracy if you have a site where you can position sensors well.

Since most of us only have a small patch of land or even have to mount things on a building there will usually be some shortcoming, but you can still compare conditions at your location over time.

Rainfall is often very localised so that's especially nice to see how much you had 'at your house'.

• 5 months later...
Posted

I had one of these

After setting up it worked fine for two years, was extremely useful especially for temp and dew points

Alarms too for temperatures which is good.

Over all i was impressed.

After two years the transmitting sensor stopped working, They are available for £40 but im trying to source cheaper ones.

Im a bit lost without it, but hope to get it working soon.

Two years trouble free thou

remember to loop wires down so water can not run into the components, i also used a waterproof oil to help ensure that water could not enter it, for two years that worked, not sure if water related or if the component just came to end of life.

I will update on how i get on with replacement part, and if it solved it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

My Missus bought me a Climemet CM2000 weather station for my 50th birthday cos I really want to get into weather data collection and some form of very amateur forecasting. I just wanted to know people's thoughts on this type of station and whether as a starting point, they are any good. Are they reliable and do they provide accurate data if anyone out there has used one before. In short is there anyone who can give me a review.

I haven't set it up yet but hope to do so in the next couple of weeks if this incessant rain doesn't drown me when I try! I hope that someone can let me know what they think and also perhaps, what sort of station would be the best if I ever wanted to upgrade in the future.

Looking forward to your thoughts

If you do need to upgrade and are planning on spending a few hundred quid as opposed to several thousand, I'd recommend a Davis.

I've had a Weather Wizard 3 on a mast on the house roof since 1996 and in all that time it's only ever needed a replacement anemometer head ( the original one lasted 12 years ). It's been subject to some pretty ferocious weather in that time, being over 1000' above sea level, but the temperature sensor still gives out readings within a few tenths of a degree of those recorded by my 'official' thermometers in the screens.

I didn't bother with the rain gauge for it, as it would be next to useless almost 40 feet above the ground, so I can't comment on that. I also bought a mini screen radiation shield for the temperature sensor, I'd say that was essential for reasonably accurate readings.