Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Dslrs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Hey guys

I have bought a DSLR (Canon EOS 1100D) And well I have no clue how to use the thing. I ideally want it to do some bird photograpy, and of course weather/NLC's etc

Anyway I have looked over the manual disk and boy...theres alot of stuff to take in! Ive even checked my local area for DSLR lessons which I know exsist as a friend of mine in Brum goes to one.

Anyone know any good DVDs or anything like that which will help me learn to use the thing? I can take macro shots of stuff and thats about it so far!

Cheers

Kain (feeling like a total idiot lol)

Posted

Blimey, nice camera to start out with!

There are a thousand things that could be said about the use of a DSLR and modern digital cameras in total, all I can say is go out and take shots of as many things as you can and just stick to the automatic modes to start with:

rebel-t3i-automatic-modes.jpg

If you leave it on the green box with an A in it, and the focus on auto too, you can judge the results when you upload them to a PC or print them. As you get used to the various basic controls, start to experiment with making small changes to the settings, remembering (or even writing down) what you changed and how it affected your picture. Try and get a variety of shots, close up, mid distance and longer or landscape shots and see how things change.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I bought the 550d a year back and still have not got to grips with it.

To help I am going on a photography 2 day course soon but also found the following book helpful ( the 550 version)

http://www.amazon.co...sl_241l9rk0jd_b

Posted

Auto will give reasonable results, truth be told better than trying to be clever sometimes even when you know what you're doing.

I find P mode is also quick and easy but gives a bit more control of exposure.

What lens does it come with?

You'll probably need at least a 200mm telephoto/zoom to get close enough to most birds - unless very tame!

The 'kit' 18-55mm is not bad at all for landscapes and general pictures like portraits, street scenes etc.

Posted

You could learn a lot by joining a forum like http://www.talkphotography.co.uk

Lots of quite basic questions come up and mostly they are very helpful bunch.

Also just looking at other peoples uploaded pictures with a "critical eye" can help you see how you could improve on your own efforts, and looking at what others do, you often get inspiration for new things to try.

We all tend to overlook potentially good photos in our own backyard due to over familiarity.

Posted

I bought the 550d a year back and still have not got to grips with it.

To help I am going on a photography 2 day course soon but also found the following book helpful ( the 550 version)

http://www.amazon.co...sl_241l9rk0jd_b

Cheers mate, just orderd the 1100D one smile.png

Auto will give reasonable results, truth be told better than trying to be clever sometimes even when you know what you're doing.

I find P mode is also quick and easy but gives a bit more control of exposure.

What lens does it come with?

You'll probably need at least a 200mm telephoto/zoom to get close enough to most birds - unless very tame!

The 'kit' 18-55mm is not bad at all for landscapes and general pictures like portraits, street scenes etc.

Yep it comes with the 18-55 basic lens that comes with the camera. I was going to try and get used to the thing before buying a zoom lens which I will get later on down the line. I have read over the instruction dvd but there is so much to take in it's mind boggling!

I'll go and have a look over on the forum too. Thanks 4wd!

Edited by Kain

Posted

Ok so went for a walk and was trying a few settings. This was the best out the bunch on auto zoomed in and cropped to size. Doesnt help the sun is somewhere behind the swollow either but baby steps and all that!

post-3685-0-76777600-1337713504_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well once you got used to it you may want to get a larger zoom lense and maybe a tripod. Wildlife has a tendacy to be just out of range and then flying off or turning the back side to you've managed to sneak a lot closer.

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F