Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xmetman

Central England Website Update

4 posts in this topic

Hi

I’ve decided to give up on trying to get people to download my CET application and am calling it a day on freeware development – now its free web development instead!

The work I’ve done on the CET app won’t go to waste though as I now use it to generate data for the various graphs that I am now displaying on my web site:

http://www.centralenglandtemperature.co.uk/

They don’t have the functionality of the CET application but they are, in my opinion clear, informative and easy to use.

I'm sure you'll let me know what you think.

Bruce.

Very nice, thanks for this smile.png

Just a suggestion, the overview panel at the bottom should go at the top, gives a more profession view on arriving.

Very nice, thanks for this smile.png

Just a suggestion, the overview panel at the bottom should go at the top, gives a more profession view on arriving.

Yep, agreed it needs something as a header and that would work.

1 person likes this

The table of rolling monthly values from 1659 should be in there too.

• Similar Content

• Any truth in Buchan’s February cold spell?
      By xmetman
      Hi I've just put together an article that you might find interesting about Buchan's spells as the next one starts on Friday the 7th of this month.  Usual kind of stuff  (1) Tabulated list of CET daily deciles from 1947-2013 for the 7-14 Feb.(2) Scatter chart of mean temperatures for the 7-14 Feb, along with trend and 10 year moving average from 1772-2013.(3) Daily LTA one for the extended period 1772-2013 the other 1961-1990. I'll let you guess what I came up with as a probability of if one might occur this year. xmetman  
    • The coldest night of the year?
      By xmetman
      Hi So what is statistically the coldest night of the year? Well the only data I have to work on to find that out here in the UK is the daily Central England Temperature series that started with listing daily maxima and minima in 1878. I did blog about something very similar last year in an article that I entitled “13/14 February frostiest night of the year“,  but since then I’ve done a bit of extra work and tagged another graph onto the collection. I posted that originally on Blogger, and then imported it into WordPress and in the process the graphics got shrunk, so I can now remedy that as well! What prompted this blog or re-blog if you like, was a post to UK Science Weather this week about what the coldest day of the year was likely to be in London, so I revisited the code and hence this blog. The frost year starts as far as the CET series at the beginning of October and ends in mid-May. I’m afraid that I still find that the night of the 13/14th of February to be statistically the coldest night of the year if you calculate daily mean minimums from 1878, with a value of around 1.8°C. It also ends up being the frostiest night of the year with a 41% chance of an air frost. Not surprisingly the trend since 1878 is progressively less frost days, surprisingly at a quick glance 2010 had more frosts than 1947, 1963 and 1978, and looks like the frostiest since 1917. Of course I may have screwed up with the figures, and if I have post me a comment. Bruce. The following graphs are in my blog: (1) Frequency of frost and ice days in the Daily CET series (1 October - 31 May)(2) Daily CET mean minimum (1 October - 31 May)(3) Annual total frost & ice days in the Daily CET series (1878-2013) http://xmetman.wordpress.com/2014/01/17/coldest-night-of-the-year/
    • Cold Spring following Mild Winter?
      By xmetman
      Hi
      I read a post on the UK Science Weather newsgroup yesterday talking about the likelihood of a cold spring following a mild winter. I decided to create a scatter graph of winters and springs from the monthly Central England Temperature series just to see if there were any indications of any clustering, and if there was some truth to it. I couldn’t just use plain mean temperatures for winter (DJF) and spring (MAM), because that wouldn’t indicate if the season had been warm or cold, so I first calculated anomalies by subtracting the 1961-1990 seasonal means from the values.
      I am no statistician, and although I did calculate a correlation/covariance coefficient, I’m not confident about the value of 0.44 that I came up with because it looks a little high, and I think you’ll agree with me that points in the graph look well and truly scattered! The formulae that I used to calculate the covariance came straight out of Wikipedia, so If any of my readers has a better way of doing the calculation please let me know!
      Bruce.
      http://xmetman.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/cold-spring-following-mild-winter/
    • Correlation CET & LWT
      By xmetman
      Hi

I've just done some analysis on daily CET and objective LWT values from the period 1878-2012. I've tied the two data sets together and then looked at temperature anomalies and mean temperatures for the 73 pentads in each year. You can find a more detailed view of my findings on my blog:

http://xmetman.wordp...-objective-lwt/

Bruce.