Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Last Time It Snowed In May?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just had a question from a friend which I couldn't answer.

When was the last time it snowed in May in England?

If anyone can answer this I'll be grateful :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Sleety showers fell in the northern third of England down to sea level on the 11th May 2010, with snow for some in the heavier showers. Falls of sleet were also reported locally to low levels during May 2005, particularly around the 7th-9th and 17th. There was some snow on northern hills shortly after the 20th May 2006, but not at low levels.

The last time there was a widespread snow event in May across England was on the 6th/7th May 1997 when sleety showers penetrated even to southern coastal regions, and there was a covering of snow in some western areas early on the 7th.

Earlier in the 1990s snow fell widely on high ground across northern England on the 13th/14th May 1993 (though mostly rain at low levels) and sleet and snow showers occurred from the Midlands northwards around the 11th-13th May 1995 with some localised frontal snow on the 17th May 1995. There were localised snowfalls during the notoriously cold May of 1996, and perhaps surprisingly, May 1992 also had localised snowfalls in the second week before it turned hot.

Posted

May 6th 1997 gave the most snow I`ve recorded at 1 to 2inches and the last time I saw snow fall or settle in May.

2000`s gave one sleet shower and more recently 2010 1 soft hail shower.

Posted

Sleety showers fell in the northern third of England down to sea level on the 11th May 2010, with snow for some in the heavier showers. Falls of sleet were also reported locally to low levels during May 2005, particularly around the 7th-9th and 17th. There was some snow on northern hills shortly after the 20th May 2006, but not at low levels.

The last time there was a widespread snow event in May across England was on the 6th/7th May 1997 when sleety showers penetrated even to southern coastal regions, and there was a covering of snow in some western areas early on the 7th.

Earlier in the 1990s snow fell widely on high ground across northern England on the 13th/14th May 1993 (though mostly rain at low levels) and sleet and snow showers occurred from the Midlands northwards around the 11th-13th May 1995 with some localised frontal snow on the 17th May 1995. There were localised snowfalls during the notoriously cold May of 1996, and perhaps surprisingly, May 1992 also had localised snowfalls in the second week before it turned hot.

Thanks for such a detailed response TWS, appreciate it!

I don't think I've ever seen snow in May where I live, but then again, I struggle to get snow in the heart of winter, so no surprise there. :lol:

May 6th 1997 gave the most snow I`ve recorded at 1 to 2inches and the last time I saw snow fall or settle in May.

2000`s gave one sleet shower and more recently 2010 1 soft hail shower.

2 inches in may is impressive for Wales!

Thanks a lot. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Was definitely sometime around the mid 90's when it snowed here in May. I remember when mum took me shopping locally, and I saw some small proper flakes fall from the sky for a time. I couldn't really believe it at first - at the time, I never thought it would ever be cold enough for snow in May. Keep thinking it occured in 1995 here, because it didn't last too long (from what I remember).

Posted

WOW! Epic!! Cheers Mr D!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Snow fell here in May 2010, did not settle however.

Posted

The last time I saw a snow cover in May was the morning of the 6th May 1997. I've seen snow showers in May during 2005, 2006 and 2010 but no covering.

I remember mid May 95 being cold and raw as a frontal system brought heavy wet snow on the 17th. May 96 may well have brought a few snowy showers earlier in the month during nightfall.

I think it was about 09.05.2010, we drove along the autoroute in the vicinity of Carcassonne and Toulouse there was snow on the hills above, say 300 metres.

The following night we stayed at Castro Urdiales near Santander - it was cold wet and miserable but by the time we got to Cornwall a couple of days later we had fine springlike weather, though still a bit fresh.

All in all it was one of the coldest springs for quite some while - what with the snow storms in southern France about 07/08.03.2010 n'all, it didn't start to warm up properly until the end of May.

Though there was that cricket match in Derbyshire during June one year which was abandoned because of snow - don't know if any one has any further details.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

I always get a warm, excited feeling when I see the old snow symbols from the old BBC weather forecasts lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

never had snow at this elevation in May, 1997 was just sleet/rain, dont actually think proper snow this far south under 300m in May is possible

Posted

11th May 2010 saw a snow shower here just after midday, before that you have to go back to 11th May 1995 which saw the same in the evening. These events were pretty special as they're on my birthday!

6th May 1997, 16th May 2005 and 30th May 2006 all saw sleet, with the latter being exceptionally late in the season for this location.

Ive never seen lying snow at 0900 in May here, though May 1979 probably managed it. It would be very difficult now with warmer North Sea SSTs, though I imagine during an exceptional setup very early in the month it might just still be possible.

Posted

never had snow at this elevation in May, 1997 was just sleet/rain, dont actually think proper snow this far south under 300m in May is possible

It snowed in southern England in June

Posted

Snow was reported in Cambridge, a cricket match interrupted at Colchester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The last snow in May here was in 2010 when sleet showers fell on the 11th and 12th. The last time there was lying snow in May was in 1997 when there was 1cm early on the 7th and the last time there was lying snow at 0900 g.m.t was in 1979, prior to that it was 1968.

The snow on June 2nd 1975 did fall to much lower levels than Buxton ( the town centre is just under 300m but the outlying areas are over 350m) but it didn't settle. Above 300m or so however there was temporary lying snow both early a.m and again in the afternoon after heavy snow showers.

Posted

The last snow in May here was in 2010 when sleet showers fell on the 11th and 12th. The last time there was lying snow in May was in 1997 when there was 1cm early on the 7th and the last time there was lying snow at 0900 g.m.t was in 1979, prior to that it was 1968.

The snow on June 2nd 1975 did fall to much lower levels than Buxton ( the town centre is just under 300m but the outlying areas are over 350m) but it didn't settle. Above 300m or so however there was temporary lying snow both early a.m and again in the afternoon after heavy snow showers.

that was the year of photographs of the cricket at Buxton (then a country ground for Derbyshire) held up with the whole ground snow covered. 1 week later and temperatures were in the mid 20's C.

I recall back in June 1965 when I was on a course at RAF Leeming North Yorks some large flakes of white stuff floated down from the heavans, as a slight passing shower - I enquired about it at the time and it was suggested that it was soft hail but it looked like snow to me. It was quite a raw day,