Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Photo Processing Software Advice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Until recently, I hadn't bothered to process my RAW files as I preferred to have more "natural" images until I started to use Picasa as a more functional tool rather than just for importing.

The Nikon NX software seems fairly basic so I've started to look at both Adobe Light Room and Adobe Photoshop. I'm quite interested in Light Room which imports & catalogues files in addition to having some useful photo editing functions such as spot removal & noise reduction. It also costs alot less than CS5 and the Elements range .

I was wondering what software other people use,and whether you'd use Light Room as stand alone software

Posted

Many do manage with Lightroom alone, it's a very powerful tool to work on exposures, saturation and noise reduction/sharpening while exporting as jpg etc in your chosen size.

There are many things it can't do that Photoshop can though.

However most of photoshop's clever things like layers and selecting just part of an image for adjustment can also be done with Gimp which is free.

As you've sussed out, a major part of Lightroom is how it imports and organises your pictures when you plug in the card reader or camera.

Posted
  • Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs (Weekends) - RAF Benson, Oxon (During the week!)
  • Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs (Weekends) - RAF Benson, Oxon (During the week!)

<p>Are you on PC or Mac? If you are on a Mac then I can highly recommend Apple Aperture... Its relatively cheap, great for organising and storing your pics & allows you to do some pretty powerful editing in the software too! Better than shelling out £££'s for Photoshop if you don't need the extra tools it provides! Failing that, 4wd's thoughts are pretty much spot on; Lightroom and GIMP is a god combo & will save lots of money over Photoshop. Some good GIMP tutorials on YouTube too!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you don't do much editing with your RAW files then its probably best to shoot in JPEG (at max resolution), as they will already be sharpened & saturated straight out of the camera (And much smaller files!). Save RAW for when you're working in difficult light and may need to work on the White Balance etc when you get home... Just my 2p worth but worth a thought! :)</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Thanks both for the advice it's been really helpful

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F