Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Seasonal Forecast Thread

Posted

Just to be clear, I did my sunspot-temperature analysis based on the generally accepted peak years which can be found in any publication about solar activity and I am aware of the conventional sunspot number system and even how it is derived.

The exact timing of cycles and peaks can be anyone's subjective opinion and so anyone would be free to analyze the data in any system they wanted to use, within reason. My analysis is not subjective, it is based on the published peak years and that is the only significance that it has (if any), if there may be a more significant periodicity more approximately aligned to the sunspot cycle that is still waiting for anyone else to demonstrate and explain.

The average period in quiet solar intervals seems to lengthen to 12-14 years (the Maunder was too inactive to be very certain but the Dalton displayed an average of 14.5 years from 1801 to 1830) and the average period in active periods is only slightly over 10 years. For example, from 1917 to 2001 it was 10.5, from 1917 to 1989 it was 10.3 and from 1917 to 1957 it was exactly 10 and the only peak year that didn't end in 7 in that run was 1928.

From 1837 to 1870 it was 10.75 years, from 1718 to 1787 it was a shade under 10 years. The period 1761 to 1778 was exceptionally "fast" with peaks in 1761, 1769 and 1778. However, as implied, these exact peak years are approximate within a 3-5 year active peak period and it's really frequently a case of a nearly flat-top peak where you could choose any one of three consecutive years for your peak.

Given how quiet the Sun has been recently, the next "peak" may be delayed well into the next decade and could perhaps be as late as 2026 although most authorities are predicting 2024.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Thanks Roger.  For me the autumn pattern is set up for repeats of warm to very warm bursts and generally more settled than not but with one or two big interruptions from...although I think main talking point will be the warmth.

Re winter, early thoughts are for start of winter as I think a dramatic switch in Dec  A general cool /cold stormy NW'ly flow month.  I'm loving this late warmth....golf pilgrimage is starting as I rapidly approach retirement 

BFTP 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

May I enquire as to how the following may affect seasonal forecasting over the next few months?

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09/unprecedented-disruption-atmospheres-pacemaker-foretells-wet-winter-europe

Posted

Winter 2016-17 outlook

My research model is indicating that the first half of the winter is likely to be colder than normal, and the second half milder. CET forecasts follow:

OCT 12.8 (very mild)

NOV 6.0 (slightly cooler than recent averages)

DEC 3.8 (somewhat colder than normal)

JAN 5.5 (rather mild, second half may be near 7.5)

FEB 4.5 (average).

MAR 8.0 (mild/warm)

In terms of the general circulation, I am expecting rather strong blocking to develop through November after perhaps a rather stormy first half, and spells of wintry cold may develop from late November through mid-December in particular, then this block will rapidly decay around New Years to yield a much milder zonal and sometimes stormy pattern in January. That will then relax to rather bland patterns in February and a southerly type of blocking by March. 

Best chance of snowfall would obviously be mid-December, and with a full moon / northern max event 14-15 Dec, that's when I would expect to see possible snowfall events. I think that snow would be followed by the coldest weather of the season then some gradually milder conditions through the Christmas-New Years period. 

The most likely time for stormy conditions to develop would be late December, mid January and late January around the times of the new moons and mid-January full moon. This theory is partly established by frequency studies but also a second unrelated factor happens to overlap this winter with the lunar events. 

February may turn out rather dry if this overall scenario is valid, with storminess more likely in the Mediterranean and Balkans. 

In North America, the winter is likely to be quite cold in general, with heavy snowfalls likely for the east coast of the United States and also in the Midwest states. 

All forecasts are based on numerical index values from research factors and there is an assumption that teleconnections will be incorporated. However, with the Pacific in a sort of weak La Nina or neutral pattern, no strong indications are available there. In the North Atlantic, the tendency has been for a cold pool to be focused more to the west-central longitudes and this at least can reinforce both the blocking scenario and the active phase mid-winter. I would expect that SST anomalies around Britain might fluctuate more as a response than a driver of these trends. Solar activity of course is rather low but I only see correlations over long-period averages rather than year to year. 

Confidence is somewhat lower in this outlook than some others I have published, for the reason that the blended index values are in two camps during both the colder and milder episodes. What I'm saying there is that the cold may be more extreme than indicated, and the mild spell could be delayed as a result. I have given some rather conservative values for the temperature trend as a result, the Dec 3.8 could turn out as low as 2.5 if snow cover persists. 

(re the previous post and question, I will have to study this more before commenting)

• Like 8

Posted

Hi Roger

For me is the CET......Dec could be pretty extreme for some but the CET may not reflect this....same as the rest of winter IMO

BFTP

Posted

Interesting reading Roger.. I'm a bit of a believer that mother nature balances herself out, i.e. very warm or very wet periods one year are likely to be preceded or followed by very cold or very dry periods. Nov 09 and Nov 10 good examples, an exceptionally wet very mild Nov followed by a very cold second half November. March 12 very warm and dry , followed by the very cold March of 2013.

So with this logic the exceptionally very wet and very mild Nov and Dec last year, may be followed by the complete opposite! i.e. extremes follow extremes, and last Nov and more so December around here was exceptionally extreme, as extreme as it can be for rainfall and mild weather, I really wouldn't be surprised to see something much colder and drier to end this year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very warm (not hot!)

Accuweather winter forecast is out for Europe - not pretty reading for the UK and Ireland. Hopefully it doesn't go to plan....

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-forecast-2016-2017-stormy-uk-mild-wet-france-germany/60378723

Posted

I think one can say looking at recent winters that more of the same is coming.  Well if more of the same of last winter comes this time one must ask what is controlling our seasons.  We probably shouldn't experience the same winter.....but I suspect we are going to see some sharp contrasts across our shores again.  

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, Aljoca said:

Accuweather winter forecast is out for Europe - not pretty reading for the UK and Ireland. Hopefully it doesn't go to plan....

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/europe-winter-forecast-2016-2017-stormy-uk-mild-wet-france-germany/60378723

'A stormy weather pattern will set in before wintertime with active weather during the second half of October across Ireland and the United Kingdom.'

A quote from that piece.

Right well we'll see how that one goes because if that goes awry I won't have much confidence in the rest of the forecast period!

• Like 5

Posted
On 06/10/2016 at 20:52, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

I think one can say looking at recent winters that more of the same is coming.  Well if more of the same of last winter comes this time one must ask what is controlling our seasons.  We probably shouldn't experience the same winter.....but I suspect we are going to see some sharp contrasts across our shores again.  

BFTP

When you say recent Winters are you referring only to the most recent 3 Winters, or say are the Winters from 2008 to 2013 included in that statement? I hope so because that at least would give us a range of options going forward, whereas if you're only referring to the Winters we've had so far since 2013 the prospects looks pretty dire from a coldies perspective. You've long been the eternal optimist though when it comes to cold Winter weather so the idea of you losing faith is a sobering one to say the least.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
On 06/10/2016 at 21:15, CreweCold said:

'A stormy weather pattern will set in before wintertime with active weather during the second half of October across Ireland and the United Kingdom.'

A quote from that piece.

Right well we'll see how that one goes because if that goes awry I won't have much confidence in the rest of the forecast period!

Doesn't look stormy for the 2nd half of the month a very quiet Atlantic so far as we near the halfway point

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 5

Posted
12 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

I promised to comment on the article that was linked, in my own case it doesn't affect my outlook at all at this stage, I am keeping my eyes open for learned discussion of this topic over the winter and a post-mortem on it. 

As my forecast includes spells of blocking and zonal flow, I think the only way the findings discussed in the article might affect my thinking would be to swing the balance so that one spell was more significant than the other. This is not really a finding that I can easily plug into my methodology, it's a bit too esoteric. If somebody found that the Sun was running at 80% of normal output, that I could plug in. 

It may be a very significant thing or this year's version of the October failproof predictive index (how's that looking now?). 

One factoid worth mentioning is that we're about to have the biggest mid-October windstorm on the west coast of North America since the 12 October 1962 "Columbus Day storm" of great renown. Once again, it's a remnant of a Pacific tropical system being reborn in fast westerly flow near the Oregon coast. I shouldn't tease people like this, finding an analogue in autumn 1962 is like being invited into the blonde's flat (remember that image?). 

I've thanked Roger privately, but thought I'd post here as well to say that I thank him for his response.  It sounds quite reasonable to me to say that we cannot predict what effect it might have, and the Guardian headline ("The die is cast for a wet and stormy winter") that made me read to Science magazine article seems a massive over-simplification.

Posted
1 hour ago, Roger J Smith said:

Made myself a key though ... 

You've had that for a while me thinks ;-)

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
On 06/10/2016 at 16:34, Aljoca said:

Already wrong so can be slung in the recycle bin.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

"Stormy second half to October" yeah right! Mainly an easterly for most of this month. Umbrella's not needed.650x366_09281548_ap_971736076222.jpg

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
On 22/10/2016 at 13:55, The PIT said:

Not sure about the recycling bin, but it isn't going the way they thought as yet...

• Like 2

Posted

Reasoning behind a winter forecast may be fairly insulated from October outcomes, one could compare it to a game vs the warmup portion, more or less irrelevant once stronger counter-forces are put in play. Once November or December go bad though, this creates growing doubt about how the heart of the winter season (Jan-Feb in most instances) might turn out. 

There's a general blocked and low-energy feel to things that cannot help but create some optimism for this coming winter (in Europe and eastern North America, feeling somewhat doomed to the mild side of any blocking here). 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi folks, been a while since I've been on here. I've linked to my winter forecast here:

http://lomondsnowstorm.blogspot.se

On the tablet at the moment but I'll  try and copy it over to this post when I get  chance. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
26 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Hi folks, been a while since I've been on here. I've linked to my winter forecast here:

http://lomondsnowstorm.blogspot.se

On the tablet at the moment but I'll  try and copy it over to this post when I get  chance. 

Thanks, very interesting and a forecast I'd not be upset about if it comes to pass. Just go and sort out Feb though. :)

• Like 1