Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Winter 2011/12 Forecast Thread

reef

Posted

I'm not sure I actually totally agree with that Chino, it certainly did play a role in the marginality of the Feb 2005 cold spell, I'm 100% certain that had the month before not been a blowtorch month for Europe we'd have ended up on the right side of the marginal rather then on the wrong side like we often were due to the SST's being above average as well as soil content the whole way across Europe being higher then it should be by a solid 1-2C...these things can and do make a difference.

Of course if you were to get a real potent shoot down or had a sustained 2-3 week cold shot then really it won't make much difference, its more with the marignal set-ups it can make a difference.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I'm not sure I actually totally agree with that Chino, it certainly did play a role in the marginality of the Feb 2005 cold spell, I'm 100% certain that had the month before not been a blowtorch month for Europe we'd have ended up on the right side of the marginal rather then on the wrong side like we often were due to the SST's being above average as well as soil content the whole way across Europe being higher then it should be by a solid 1-2C...these things can and do make a difference.

Of course if you were to get a real potent shoot down or had a sustained 2-3 week cold shot then really it won't make much difference, its more with the marignal set-ups it can make a difference.

I know that the SST's played a part in 2005 kold, but less sure how much the soil content played a part.

But that wasn't my point. It was more the fact that if 850's aren't low to the east it doesn't take long for that to turn around and is often part and parcel of the process that is involved with the easterly arriving at our shores.

The guy is an absolute fraud. How he is getting paid to write the utter tosh in our countries papers I have no idea! What he is doing with his website is plain wrong. He has an A level in geography. That is it.....LOL Surely there is something we can do to let our press know about what he is doing?

Madden has updated and is claiming success due the recent snow in Scotland, despite the fact it's come as a result of raging zonality, rather than the

Northern blocking he predicted.... http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

Posted

The guy is an absolute fraud. How he is getting paid to write the utter tosh in our countries papers I have no idea! What he is doing with his website is plain wrong. He has an A level in geography. That is it.....LOL Surely there is something we can do to let our press know about what he is doing?

Maybe you could get your Uncle, best friend, lover, cleaner, to alert the press eh! :winky:

Posted

welcome to the 'real world' scotty boy. the sooner you realise that it 'aint fair' out there and that those who deserve little sometimes get loads, the better you'll cope. its not what you know ............

meanwhile, anyone who predicted a very stormy december period will be able to claim success by the end of this week. i fear that we will continue to see madden et all claim success with snow likely in northern areas from time to time.

Posted

You can't say that it's a big freeze because of well let's say a pretty decent snow event with widespread lying snow with good depths. However the east didn't really get effected, it did nothing in the south of the UK, No temperature records were broken and the snow wasn't spectacular, just nice like a Christmas Card scene just causing a bit of distruption.

What I hate was the Daily Mail and other newspapers saying "First Big Freeze" then "Storm". What Big Freeze, well if ya call that a Big Freeze then I wonder what you'd call a winter like 1946/1947 or 1962/1963.

I also hate how on Sky Sports News, they reported on a Scottish Game being postponed due to damage to the stadium from wind "up to a 165mph". Come on, 4000ft high up in the middle of nowhere, gosh if it were 165mph in a settlement then it would be a record wind speed.

Mike, I would never worry about that other than Autumn snowcover stratospheric feedback mechanisms.

It takes no time at all for a cold shot to cool things there and that would occur prior to any easterly.

It depends what you mean by no time at all - The area needs an easterly or northerly flow to cool it down and drop a bit of the white stuff to give a reasonable covering, allowing the temperature to drop still further and start to form the basis of a high, which if the conditions are right will eventually bring us into Easterly or Northeasterlies, depending on where the HP is centred.

At the moment with pressures down to 945 mbs, whipping up through the Norwegian Sea and then on to the Baltic, extending their influence over most of northern Europe and western Russia on the fax charts, it seems to me that the Atlantic stream is quite vigerous at the moment and will probably continue that way for another month or at least until after the winter solstice before things really settle down, though an HP is developing off Iberia but that is in the wrong position.

Then we will need a Greenie, Scandi or north west Russian high making a blocking action to get something meaningful.

Not without precedent though - the autumn/winter of 1946/7 was relatively mild until about 26.01.1947.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Not without precedent though - the autumn/winter of 1946/7 was relatively mild until about 26.01.1947.

A large misconception of that winter. Dec 3.1c [cold], Jan 2.2c [cold].

BFTP

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

BFTP

Thank goodness you stated it, i was about to go bonkers again as it is one of the few issues which can get me riled (calling the parts of the 1963 and 1947 winters before the 'big freezes' mild).

Posted

I have a local qustion for A mr data--you live in irlam and I in eccles I was wondering if you know of any frost hollows more towards in the irlam, eccles,barton,trafford,worsley areas and any other nearby areas in these parts.This i because I want to establish weather stations in any potential frost hollows.tar very much.

Posted

BFTP

Exactly. It is totally untrue to say that the winter of 1946-47 was relatively mild until about Jan 26th. What the truth really is about winter 1946-47, is that although the "big freeze" was concentrated from around the third week of January until the middle of March, the first half of that winter was still generally colder than average, and certainly colder than the first halves of many winters in the last 20 years or so. In actual fact apart from a short period around mid Jan 1947, there was no real warmth in any of that winter from the start of December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The early to middle part of the winter of 1946/47 had a persistent Scandinavian high, which was mostly too far east and south to bring cold continental air straight across, but on occasion it did manage to send the cold air across. There was a cold but mostly dry spell around mid-December 1946:

http://www.wetterzen...00119461217.gif

Then in early January 1947 a Scandinavian high sent a lot of cold air down into southern Europe which then came our way from the SE, and this engaged in battle with some cold polar maritime air:

http://www.wetterzen...00119470107.gif

Then after a mild zonal interlude in mid-January 1947 high pressure was able to extend to our north giving us that notorious easterly spell with high pressure extending from Greenland to Scandinavia.

Also during the 1962/63 season there was a notable north to north-easterly incursion in mid-November 1962, with widespread snowfalls, and December 1962 began in cool zonal fashion with some marginal snow events.

One classic example of a "warm autumn following into cold winter" was 1978/79, when the autumn was almost relentlessly warm until the 24th November when a northerly outbreak arrived. After that, the really cold snowy weather took a while to get going, as December 1978 was quite cold with a few significant snowfalls in places but nothing really sustained until the exceptional easterly outbreak on New Year's Eve, leading into that famously cold snowy spell lasting until after mid-February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Mr James Madden @ Exacta Weather has updated there forecast.. http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

Also they have released a video 'Public Weather Warning, Wind and Widespread Snow' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jEKgrE5Mzc&feature=youtu.be

Regards,Mark

Posted

I really do hope that the Weather Online Monthly Forecast turns out to be right. It would kind of correspond nicely with my December forecast with some differences. Basically, a chilly Xmas with some wintryness in the north and quite a cold end to 2011 and start to 2012 with lots of wintryness around,

Mr James Madden @ Exacta Weather has updated there forecast.. http://www.exactawea...e_Forecast.html

Also they have released a video 'Public Weather Warning, Wind and Widespread Snow' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jEKgrE5Mzc&feature=youtu.be

What a joke! It was just laughable the headline of some newspaper that regarded the brief cold spell this month as a big freeze. If there had been regular, heavy snow for at least 50% of the UK for 5-7 days then I might be a little more respect. But what's the need for a warning for snow, there'll be none for much of next week except for the weekend when snow could be possible in the northern and western parts of the UK (although I think the south may benefit from this aswell).

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted

Well his first forecast for December was as follows:

DECEMBER may be a roller coaster of mild and cold spells. The coldest part of the month is likely to come around the 15th to 20th. Before that, the first two weeks may include some strong winds from deep Atlantic lows, heavy rainfalls, brief intervals of hail or snow, but eventually, arctic air should develop and there could be snow on the ground at times just before Christmas. Then the Christmas holiday period is expected to turn milder with fog and rain especially around the 27th when it could once again become rather stormy. By New Years Eve it may be turning a lot colder.

Well let's take a look:

1) A roller coaster of mild and cold spells - CHECK

2) Coldest Part of the Month between 15th and 20th - With models showing a potent northerly - CHECK

3) First 2 weeks include strong winds from deep lows - CHECK

4) Heavy Rainfalls - CHECK

5) Brief Intervals of Hail and Snow - CHECK

6) Snow on the Ground at Time before Xmas - CHECK

December so far has been amazingly accuate!

Let's see what the rest of the month is like:

1) Xmas Milder with Fog and Rain

2) Stormy around the 27th

3) A lot colder around New Year

His January forecast was:

JANUARY may be "the" month for this coming winter, and there may be several occasions with snow although the first week to ten days may start with more of a northwest flow that would restrict snow to western and northern regions. This could be a windy period in general before deeper cold arrives probably from a Scandinavian high. This should direct the winds more easterly and give the higher snowfall potential in central and eastern counties. Severe frost may develop and the CET estimate (1.5) is conservative depending on snow cover feedback, but frost days seem very likely around mid-January. There may be further snowfalls later in the month as the storm track tries to push back north.

FEBRUARY could start out cold and snowy but the model output shows a strong warming early in the month and a peak of very mild conditions in mid to late February. This suggests that southerly flow may predominate and reverse the cold pattern to mild or even very mild. It may be rather dry in this pattern for the south and east, trending to wet in western Scotland and Northern Ireland.

JANURARY:

1) 1st week or so with a NWly

2) A windy period in first few weeks

3) Deeper cold from Scandi Hi

4) Easterly

5) Storms systems try to push north

FEBRUARY:

1) Cold and Snow at Start

2) Getting warmer

3) Very mild at End

4) Wet in W Scotland and NI

That was his 1st forecast, howabout the 2nd.

Posted

The second half of November was a "fail" for my forecast but current projections for early December show the forecast phasing back in ... the "fail" was more pronounced over Europe than North America in my index values and I have identified the problem in modelling as lack of a split flow development with the blocking phase of what was initially modelled as a two-part retrogression (Nov and Jan) separated by a fast westerly phase. This first part of the blocking went more meridional forcing the jet to remain in one piece and sending it northwards at about 10-20 W. The indications for January's blocking phase were more robust and given the depth of cold air around the arctic and a high probability of an SSW event in mid-late December, I am not inclined to revise the outlook from here on. So, as promised, an update based on shorter time frame guidance.

Currently viewing the period around 24-27 December as pivotal for the forecast evolution. After a windy and seaonable first half of December, and a possible cold spell around week of 16-22 Dec, watch for gradual development of Greenland high under strong upper block, strong cyclogenesis eastern Atlantic with possible windstorm moving east to east-south-east towards North Sea around 24-25 Dec and gradual change in circulation over following week to become northerly in advance of a second round of strong west to northwest flow in early January and eventually strong blocking high from northwest Russia ridging west towards Scotland. Temperature anomalies could reverse from +5 or higher to -5 or lower during this period (Christmas Eve to mid-Jan).

Deep and severe cold may develop for up to 2-3 weeks then relent gradually in February. This is only slightly different, I believe, than the NW forecast and the main difference is a slightly earlier core for the expected colder period (which I would currently forecast to be 15-25 Jan). If this pattern does evolve, there could be blizzards in southern and eastern England on several occasions as I expect the very mild Atlantic flow and warm SST values to maintain a foothold for mild air masses in southern France promoting a vigorous storm track during this cold phase across northern France and the Channel regions.

It may be seen in retrospect that the warm autumn contributed to a snowy winter by leaving the warmer sea surface temperatures for later interaction with the Siberian air masses.

My current North American winter forecast calls for gradual development of extreme cold over northwest Canada ridging into the north-central U.S., a mild first half of winter in the northeast states reversing to cold and snowy by February, as the severe cold eventually wins out but at that point, by moving further east, allows milder Pacific air to dominate western regions by February.

Predicting an SSW event 15-20 Dec and development of strong +NAO by 25-30 Dec,

Here are the main points from the 2nd forecast.

DECEMBER:

Windy and Seasonal Start - CHECK

Cold Spell around 16-22 December - Probable - CHECK

The rest of December:

watch for gradual development of Greenland high under strong upper block, strong cyclogenesis eastern Atlantic with possible windstorm moving east to east-south-east towards North Sea around 24-25 Dec and gradual change in circulation over following week to become northerly in advance of a second round of strong west to northwest flow in early January and eventually strong blocking high from northwest Russia ridging west towards Scotland. Temperature anomalies could reverse from +5 or higher to -5 or lower during this period (Christmas Eve to mid-Jan).

So really this is what we should be looking out for as up till around the 20th, his forecast has been spot on.

And of course we all know about the January and February forecast!

But what is crucial in analysing a forecast (or a winter) is taking month by month. So far, December has been incredibly accurate. The stormy first 2 weeks, some heavy rain and snow in the north has been incredibly accurate. But what I find terrifyingly accurate is the predicted cold spell sometime between the 16th and 22nd of December as the models are showing a decent northerly. Then after that well, the period 24-27 December is pivotal and we should really keep an eye on things during this time frame. Then of course we've got the January and February forecast to dream about. But what is great to see is that December has been very accurate (an accurate part of a forecast that includes deep and severe cold).

Posted

AWT FINAL WINTER FORECAST

Winter 2011/2012

Factors Involved:

• Recent, Low Solar Activity
  • La Nina and a predicted strengthening La Nina
  • The consitency of High Pressure over Greenland
  • Current and near future positioning of the jet stream
  • The Weather of the past 12 or so months

FORECAST

DECEMBER 2011:

• The period 1st-7th December is likely to follow what should be a cooler end to November. I expect December to start off on a cooler note - than what November is likely to be as a whole - with nighttime frost and daytime temperatures of 4C to 9C. This period should bring a mixture of sunshine, cloud and fog to parts of the UK as settled weather prevails. The period should be dominated by low pressure systems with cool polar maritime incursisons following behind the fronts and bringing some wintry weather to parts of the North and West.

• During the period 7th-14th of December, I expect Low Pressure systems from the west to cross over the United Kingdom, bringing rain, wind, milder temperatures and some wet hill snow in the Highlands. Although temperatures are likely to be milder, I do expect some cool-cold polar maritime incursions between depressions bringing some sunshine (particulary to more southern and eastern areas although cloud may hang on to some coastal areas), some frost (perhpas lasting the entire day of some Northern areas) and wintery showers (most likely to be centered over NW Scotland and Northern Ireland).
  • What I see happening in the period 14th-21st of December is initially Atlantic Dominated before we see High Pressure in Atlantic link up With Higher Pressure in South-Eastern Greenland. The first few days will see a very active atlantic but still with the element of cold topplers behind the fronts and some of these may provide some snow to lower areas in England as some of the topplers will see more cold air than others. Towards the middle and into the latter part I expect to see the signs of Higher Pressure out in the Atlantic and Greenland building.

• The period 21st -31st December should start of quite unsettled and chilly initially. However as we head towards Christmas I expect the UK to enter a blocked period with a notable northerly spreading south over the UK during Christmas Eve and lasting till late on Boxing Day. An easterly attempt is broken down when Higher Pressure in the Atlantic and Greenland is smashed by strong areas of low pressure. However as we head towards towards the end of the period I expect a battleground snowfall to take place over the UK and perhaps leading to some large accumilations in the Northern Half of the UK. Following the snowfall, there should be a thaw, and a return to less cold conditions with incoming low pressure systems.

JANUARY 2012:

• The New Year should start pretty chilly with snow snow in the NW of Scotland as chilly zonal pattern prevails with some cold topplers. One or two of these topplers could bring some pretty expansive cold air over the UK and the potential threat for some more frontal snowfalls. During this period I expect signs of a warming in the Stratoshphere (perhaps since Christmas).

• The duration of the 7th-13th of January should see indications of High Pressure Building over Greenland and vague hints of a pressure rise in NE Scandinavia but the period should should be predominatley Atlantic dominated although the jet stream should gradually be moving south and extremes of pretty mild sectors to cold sectors will be felt.

• The Period 13th-20th January should see High Pressure over Greenland firmly established and more profound than the attempt of Northern Blocking in late December. Initially, the UK Should be pretty chilly, but as very intense cold air from the Arctic comes down in a notable northerly, we should quickly see things turn progressively and substantially colder. By the middle of the period I would expect some pretty heavy snow showers in Shetland and Northern Scotland aswell as NI with night time temperatures widely below freezing and droping to below -10C in the Highlands. However by the end of the period, I would expect some notable and prolonged periods of snowfalls crossing south over Scotland before intensifying over England, Wales and Ireland over the Irish and North Sea. By the end of the period, -15C or lower should have been reached in the Scottish Highlands.
  • Between the 20th and 27th of January, I expect to see a gradual increase in terms of intensity of cold and snow with temperatures of -15C to -20C being reached in the Scottish Highlands throughout the period so really not too much of a change in that area but daytime temperatures and night time temperatures elsewhere should be colder at the end than at the beginning. With conitinuos snow showers in the North and some going further south down eastern and western coasts, there shouldn't be too much of a problem with snow in this cold but quite quiet period of weather. However towards the end of the period, as the Greenland High shows signs of a decline, the potential for heights over Scandinavia increase.

• The time frame of the 27th - 31st January should be quite active. The start of the period should see temperatures drop lower than that in the first period with some temperatures in the Highlands below -20C and in some cities -10C should have been reached. As winds have a slight NWly element in them, snow showers should become more expansive and prolonged in North and much of the west. However as Heights over Greenland start to dissolve we should see an incoming aprroch of fronts to create an incredibly messy breakdown. However as the fronts head towards the UK and Ireland, I expect heights over Scandinavia to build.

FEBUARY 2012:

• The period 1st-7th of Febuary is expected to see an incredible battle between the milder Atlantic and a very strong and expansive area of High Pressure over Scandinavia. Initially, we should see some impressive snowfalls as milder Atlantic air meets colder Arctic air, however the front(s) are expected to stall over Central and Eastern parts of the UK contributing to some very large snowfalls. In the western edge of the front it should be slightly less cold as the front over the Eastern half of the country dissolves leaving behind small pockets of light snow and some large snow depths. As the front fails to win, the easterly wind locked and trapped by the front is unleashed bringing impressive cold temperatures to all parts of the UK and widespread, heavy, convective snow showers and streamers all the way from Kent to Wick. Eastern and some central parts of England and Scotland should see some very impressive snowfalls and decent depths. In parts of Ireland and southern Wales there may be some impressive snowfalls from streamers and Western Scotland should experiences some snow showers from any streamers. In the eastern Highlands, temperatures of -15 to -25C are possible and in some eastern and northern towns and cities, temperatures of -10 to -20C are possible.

• The following period of the 7th-14th of Febuary is expected to see the High Pressure over Scandinavia and the Easterly winds to continue. The beginning and ending of the period is likely to see the worst of the snow for much of the east coast and some more prolonged areas of snowfall spreading further inland into more Central and Western areas right up and down the UK. But essentially, the main aspect of the period is the temperatures during the middle with temperatures in Cities such as Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glashow droping to below -15C and -10C being reached in cities further south including London. Snow showers won't be quite as profound, although there will still be some light snow showers in eastern coasts and filtering their way along the Channel, Thames Valley, Central Belt and Midlands. In the Highlands temperatures of -20C are more than likely.

• The period 14th-21st of Febuary should see the cold continuing during the early stages. However the high pressure over Scandanavia will begin to show signs of fading and this should result in another messy breakdown. The first few days may see some record breaking temperatures and snowfall should increase. However low pressure systems should be able to come near or cross the UK bringing the threat of very large battleground snowfalls in the West. However in the east, there could be asmuch as a 10C difference with an easterly influence and some snow showers. Eventually, each front should gradually creep further east across the UK with precipiation in the far west falling as rain in milder temperatures and very heavy snow falling for anywhere further east. In far eastern areas, the temperatures will be at their lowest and 10C lower than that of the rest of the UK. Once the Atlantic eventually wins, temperatures in the North and East may still be slightly below average and in the south and west it will be slightly milder.

• The month should end under with a milder Atlantic influence with some very mild temperatures in the South West, however further North and East, and particulary Scotland it will feel, much, much cooler in cool-cold zonality and still further prospects of wintry weather.

AWT

CET Values:

December (4.5C), January (1.7C), February (1.6C) = Overall a below average winter.

That's my Final update for the winter forecast and the one that I'm most happy with.

Well how about an analysis of my own forecast:

DECEMBER:

1) The first week has been accurate with low pressure, cool, some polar maritime air and some wintry weather in the north.

2) The 2nd week is fairly accurate with low pressure theme, slightly milder theme, with polar maritime air at times.

Now how about the forecast remaining parts of the month:

1) 14-21st December: Initially atlantic dominated looks set to be accurate, cold topplers (could be accurate next at next weekend). Now I'm pleased that Simon Keeling has revealed the Keeling High that would nicely coincide with my prediction.

2) 21 onwards: Chilly and unsettled start may be accurate, blocked pattern as said by Keeling for Xmas, failed easterly doesn't look like happening and if the cold spell happens then a battleground snowfall at the end remains possible.

All in all, my December forecast so far has been pretty accurate with polar maritime air, unsettled, low pressure, Atlantic dominated and some snow in the north. The rest of the forecast may start of accurate, but it all depends on whether the Simon Keeling scenario plays out which will make me a very happy man. And after that, well it's a mix of RJS and GP.

DECEMBER 1ST 2 WEEKS: DONE - FAIRLY ACCURATE

2ND HALF OF DECEMBER - SIMON KEELING SCENARIO

JANUARY - RJS/GP SCENARIO

FEBRUARY: RJS/GP SCENARIO

So basically the rest of my winter forecast follows the line of Simon Keeling, GP and RJS.

Posted

Nice to see guys, yes he has and is thus far spot on. This is also well in advance of any teleconnection forecast but big similarities? Second forecast is no different from 1st in pattern.....I stated that i concur with rhythm of RJS forecast as I think he has it right.

Important point, core of deep cold 15-25...that is core of cold. Transition to colder conditions and colder set up will be during 1st week to ten days ie NW flow before Scandi block etc etc, not cold starting / arriving by 15-25

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

To be honest, I'm getting rather fed up of James Madden publishing an update almost every week simply repeating what he's said before and quoting himself, and each time with a classic headline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Seeing as we are only the 12th, could we maybe wait until declaring the prediction of coldest part of the month as being between the 15th and 20th as correct...?

Otherwise, yes, there has been heavy rain, brief intervals of hails and snow, some lying snow, strong winds from deep lows and a roller coaster of mild and cold spells. I think it's called "an average British december".. :winky:

Posted

Seeing as we are only the 12th, could we maybe wait until declaring the prediction of coldest part of the month as being between the 15th and 20th as correct...?

Otherwise, yes, there has been heavy rain, brief intervals of hails and snow, some lying snow, strong winds from deep lows and a roller coaster of mild and cold spells. I think it's called "an average British december".. :winky:

Not called by many though. Yep correct though we should wait for Jan to comment on that month, Dec on track though.

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Indeed, too much wishful thinking by many of a new ice age that seemed a carbon copy of last year, on that aspect RJS deserves credit.

Posted

Isn't a typical British December a long interval of anticyclonic gloom punctuated by a half-hearted easterly or a big swirl of drizzle achieving top speeds of 38 mph? That's what I have come to expect.