Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature And Frost Watch -19th To 20th Of October 2011

I was also wary of Crosby, but then I took a visit to the station, and it's wedged right behind a line of high sand dunes, the station is actually on the lower flatter sand flats behind the the sand dunes. On a clear night, given it is on sand, it's not surprising it fell to -18C. The sand dunes are fairly wide, you're talking about 150-200m wide, which is enough to afford shelter to the site.

You're missing some crucial factors - initially very cold arctic air, the rarity of thick snow cover across northern England right up to the coast and persistent offshore windflow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Leeds-Bradford back down to 1C and Manchester back up to 2C so the fight for the city airport minima continues.

http://www.netweathe...rrent;type=mint

Maybe i should move to the Highlands and create a sand garden, i could have a frost everyday.

It would be worth a try, I don't know whether it would work on such a small scale though. If you could get a large plot of land then it could be tried. Often Heathland (which sandy soils) get some very cool nights in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

That would be cheating!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

You're missing some crucial factors - initially very cold arctic air, the rarity of thick snow cover across northern England right up to the coast and persistent offshore windflow.

That's true, there was alot of snow around Crosby and Southport in particular.. in fact there was about 12 inches level in Southport town centre last winter.. almost unheard of in recently times.. yet down the road here we mustered up about an inch.

Posted

I'm predicting a low of -1.c for Leeds, after a steady fall the light breeze is likely to keep temperatures static. So not as cold as the fall might suggest.

BBC seems to think no lower than 2.c, which we have already beaten.

Posted

We used to have a sand pit in the back garden and I never noticed any extra frost.

Although we don't usually see much in the way of frosts round here anyway.

Perhaps been on high ground has something to do with it...

Posted

Lol, 'Make your own Frost Hollow' with special guests summer blizzard and SP1986!

All in the name of experimentation! cool.png

It's not very accurate perhaps but the differences in temperature on the wunderground page is quite impressive..

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=EGGP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

We used to have a sand pit in the back garden and I never noticed any extra frost.

Although we don't usually see much in the way of frosts round here anyway.

Perhaps been on high ground has something to do with it...

I'd take snow over frost any day mate, so being high up has its benefits and its negative aspects I guess.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

I'd take snow over frost any day mate, so being high up has it's benefits and it's negative aspects I guess.

I would too. Frost hollows such as Benson don't usually do well for snow, for example, being very far inland doesn't help!

Take your pick people.. deep snow or extreme cold minima.. can't have it both! (unless you live in Braemar, Altnaharra or Shap, of course)

Edited by Aaron

That's true, there was alot of snow around Crosby and Southport in particular.. in fact there was about 12 inches level in Southport town centre last winter.. almost unheard of in recently times.. yet down the road here we mustered up about an inch.

The depth of the snow may have largely negated the effect of the sandy soil in any case as insulated it the ground preventing the heat flux.

Posted

I'd take snow over frost any day mate, so being high up has it's benefits and it's negative aspects I guess.

For what its worth I don't really like frosts anyway.

Unless its a hoar frost then it just patchy and slippy.

It's not very accurate perhaps but the differences in temperature on the wunderground page is quite impressive..

http://www.wundergro...cast?query=EGGP

Indeed, gives you an insight into the 'devastating' effects an onshore breeze can have when in snowy conditions..

87316406.png

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

I would too. Frost hollows such as Benson don't usually do well for snow, for example, being very far inland doesn't help!

Take your pick people.. deep snow or extreme cold minima.. can't have it both! (unless you live in Braemar, Altnaharra or Shap, of course)

Hmm, being inland too has its strong and weak points. For example if the wind has a Westerly aspect to it, you're not going to feel the effects of the Irish Sea, which can mean 7C and rain for coasts, and 0C with snow inland.

But living far inland can also mean that the showers fail to reach you.

Oh the UK is such a unique place to live. smile.png

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

The depth of the snow may have largely negated the effect of the sandy soil in any case as insulated it the ground preventing the heat flux.

Indeed, although I noted that Crosby fell to -11C on a night where there was no snow. It happened in the previous winter too (with no snow).

CR, I know it too well, it's currently 8C here, it's really hard to imagine only 20 miles away it's 3-4C with a frost forming possibly.

Posted

Is it only tonight when it may be the coldest in uk? here in France will be especially friday morning and saturday morning At 2300 Hours in Orly airport ( 10 miles from Paris) was 4.1c no frost tonight i think but tomorrow forecasted at 2c and saturday at 1c or 2c so locally we are good.

Posted

I can confirm the wind has become non-existent here.

Posted

5.6C and steady here. Hmm. :(

Posted

This is becoming very tedious indeed.. maybe we should just go to sleep. dry.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

The Bournemouth area often has some of the coldest night time temps due to its sandy soils ( I don't mean the beach ! )

Posted

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. No breeze, temperature has just rose from 1.4c to 2.4c!! Damn it.

Muhahaha. Welcome to the United Kingdom!

Posted

I am moving to the North Pole. This hellhole can't even give me a frost on a night like this. HO HUM.

Your dad has the heating on!

He's also setting fire to the pansies! No wonder it's rising! :o