Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Weather - Monday 17th Oct

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I wrote an e mail to the Meto asking about the new warnings etc and questioned the thinking behind not issuing warnings directly for the wind speeds, this is the reply I recieved below, Bearing in mind the St Bee's Head station is only 123m ASL hardly high ground! I recorded 76mph about 20m ASL on the coast. Anyway the fact it wasn't widepsread is probably the correct answer here I'm looking for, the rest is rubbish my home is 70m ASL and I class that as pretty low.

Dear Liam

Thank you for your email.

The max gust reached at our station at St Bees head was 70mph . Obviously this is a station on higher ground . Weather warnings area issued when the conditions are reached at a number of stations in the county, and as the winds were not a strong on low levels warnings have not been issued . I hope this helps to explain .

Kind Regards

Sara-Jane Harris

Posted
Probably just before midnight for you, however its fragmenting and thinning all the time.

Thanks buddy ^^

dammit now i want to watch Ironman lol nice video! 2300 and we just took our first breezy 2 min shower.

Posted

For me this was a radar 'event'. Probably overhyped last night! Although I appreciate that those in Northern Ireland and maybe Cumbria would disagree

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Think the squall line, although probably weaker than what others had earlier today, just hit us. Torrential rain suddenly started and lasted for about 5 minutes I'd say? Gone back to moderate rain now and winds seem to have eased a tad - can't hear any rattles coming from my garage or creaks around the house anymore anyway blum.gif Still pretty breezy though!

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted

Here comes our first post-squall hail shower. No thunder though.

Nice video Arnie. You can see how quickly the wind direction changes.

yeah....I just got a small hail shower. It is amazing how quick the wind direction changed on that video.Wouldn't have liked to be on final approach at Birmingham with that wind shear.

Edited by martinj2

Posted

2340: winds starting to gust up a bit now. The trees are going for a sway and the skylight windows are whistling (should probably fix that)

expecting show time in the next 20 mins or so . . .

0015: aaaannnyy min now aggressive.gif

Edited by Raytheon

Posted

There we go!

0025 - everything goes suddenly calm

0030 - squall line grows from the distance and passes in almost complete silence (see 3 images)

0037 - medium to heavy rain shower and gusty wind

0045 - done

My first squall line ^^ awesome!

night folks

post-15403-0-10828800-1318895835_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

This thin squall went through and was really quite good!! became very gusty and squally foggy rain came down like a blanket of rain pounding the roofs and creating a nice effect through the orange street lamps, opened windows and dipped lights to watch this, so really was a good one!

not lasting long though but worth the watch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well as I expected I only managed to record 28mph last night on my weather station but it must be stressed that this is only at 21ft above ground level and in the garden so the more accurate winds were probably around 30-40mph just before the squall line passed!

Had hardly any rain from it either!

Posted

Surprisingly we had some 49 mph gusts overnight - nothing to get excited about , but more than I thought we might experience.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A none event here. Winds dropped away then a brief short shower and that was it. Certainly not a squall. Pity as I was looking forward to it.

Posted

Well I wonder if I can top yesterdays gust of 76mph over the coming months, still very windy with westerly winds gusting to around 50mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Nothing but a strong breeze here. What a let down!

Posted

A roof was ripped totally off a nursery a few miles down the coast from here yesterday, no one was injured thankfully, also other minor damage around my local area which I have spotted today, one of which is a car thats had it's it's windscreen smashed by falling building debris.

A few other properties have had there roof badly damaged or blown off, and a large beech tree has been uprooted amongst other trees here and there.

http://www.cumbriacr...-in-whitehaven/

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Evidence is pointing towards a tornado which damaged homes and ripped a roof off a nursery about 3 miles south of here on Monday afternoon as the cold front made landfall, eye witness reports claimed it was a 'twister' and the roof was held upwards before flying away from the building.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/major-clean-up-after-twister-havoc-in-west-cumbria-1.889100?referrerPath=home

post-9615-0-66574600-1319137017_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-42587500-1319137032_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-86035100-1319137048_thumb.jp

Edited by Liam J