Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Funnel/tornado

tq2wx

Can anyone tell me what this is in my photographs. I took these yesterday afternoon (8 sep) and I think the place where the cloud is is just east/s.east of Budleigh Salterton. I don't know the exact location for sure as I was in Babbacombe Torquay using a very powerful 30X zoom camera at full zoom (720mm). I took pictures of something coming out of the sky and heading quite close to the ground but was too far away to verify touchdown or not. This cloud is very thick and seems to be reaching at its end towards the ground. Also it looks to me but I'm no expert that its coming down from out of a large wall cloud/updraft. It did look like a wall cloud when I was taking the pictures and it was very dark near the base.

post-15557-0-27748900-1315533983_thumb.j

post-15557-0-87402900-1315534013_thumb.j

post-15557-0-39937900-1315534041_thumb.j

Edited by tq2wx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

This looks to be some fractus cloud that has formed over the nearby hill.

These types of cloud are harmless :-)

Posted

Yep I think that's just some low cloud formed by the lifting and cooling of moist air when it hits the coast/cliff or nearby hills.

Interesting location though, I live just a few miles inland from the stretch of coast being shown. I think the town visible in the right of the picture is Budleigh Salterton as the cliffs don't quite look right for Sidmouth and can see a headland that's east of Exmouth (off Sandy Bay) the pics immediately looked familiar due to the colour of the cliffs.

I noticed a good example of this on the 2nd of September with sea mist/fog and low cloud.

The weather I saw yesterday was quite muggy with broken up stratocumulus/cumulus and some sunny spells

Posted

Yep, Definately not a Funnel or Tornado, Sprites has it right it is Fractus/Scud rising due to moisture being released, totally harmless and also no Wall Cloud in the picture, I am presuming the white cloud / fractus moved away from left to right and probably dissipated over the Sea.

Paul S

Thanks for ID'ing the weather type guys and the reason why it forms, its clearly a very interesting location, as I was looking over I couldn't believe how high the cliffs were at certain parts. I did think it was a funnel but I definately wanted to make sure it was before posting it or mentioning it anywhere. Also thanks stormmad26 for the location ID.

Its all cool smile.png as its about time I signed up here after lurking for years. Maybe one day I will get some real storm pics to share in the photo forum.

All the best,

TQ2WX