Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Very good increase overnight, looks much like the eastern block is coming along quite qell.

May see a little melt from the west and east as the trough gets cut off a bit over the next few days although we do see a surge around Sep 10th. GFS even has a split trough which is ideal for snowcover extend. Even if we do get melt in the east and west, we should be able to thicken the central patch.

Posted

Could the charts for the 1st October be posted since 2003, this can be our aim.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

ims2003274_asiaeurope.gif

ims2004275_asiaeurope.gif

ims2005274_asiaeurope.gif

ims2006274_asiaeurope.gif

ims2007274_asiaeurope.gif

ims2008275_asiaeurope.gif

ims2009274_asiaeurope.gif

ims2010274_asiaeurope.gif

Here is what it looks like on October 1st each year since 2003! I would say that 2004 and 2010 are the best looking for the most amout of snow cover on this date? so these are really the ones we want to equal or beat this year!

Edited by DeepSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

ims2010011_asiaeurope.gif

We should be aiming for this come January, good.gif

Posted

Very pronounced area of snow has popped up in eastern Russia, really is a goos start! Long may it continue!

Oh and , morning! :-D

4thseptember2011.gif

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

We are still down on the average for this time of year but it is early days yet!

post-4523-0-97320900-1315129247_thumb.pn

The red zones indicate the areas that are below average and the blue, the areas above average.

Posted

where is the webcam, it looks as though the sea is begging to freeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

where is the webcam, it looks as though the sea is begging to freeze.

Svalbard. I am thinking of booking into the hotel advertised in the top left hand corner!

Actually, I just looked at the prices - £750 for a double room for a week at the end of November - I wonder if my wife would like that for our wedding anniversary?

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

Morning!

Not much new stuff this morning, one noticable patch around Lake Bakau again.

The Arctic melt has slowwed almost to stop as well.

5thseptember2011.gif

Posted

Was going to post this morning's but imagine CH will be on it soon so don't wanna step on toes!

One thing I have noticed from this mornings pic is that we may have a few more yellow pixels than yesterday? It is miniscule I think if it is increasing, is it normal to have a few increases and then descreases in the ice? I imagine so as the difference does look tiny.

Or is it a case that the ice will generally always decrease to a point and then once we see the first extra yellow pixels it continues on that vein?

I noticed the IMS Total Ice 3 day mean is once again the lowest it has ever been, even more than 2007. Only ever so slightly though.

Actually scrub that, looks like the ice is still decreasing after double checking...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Was going to post this morning's but imagine CH will be on it soon so don't wanna step on toes!

One thing I have noticed from this mornings pic is that we may have a few more yellow pixels than yesterday? It is miniscule I think if it is increasing, is it normal to have a few increases and then descreases in the ice? I imagine so as the difference does look tiny.

Or is it a case that the ice will generally always decrease to a point and then once we see the first extra yellow pixels it continues on that vein?

I noticed the IMS Total Ice 3 day mean is once again the lowest it has ever been, even more than 2007. Only ever so slightly though.

Actually scrub that, looks like the ice is still decreasing after double checking...

The ice can often go through periods of increase and decrease during late August and September. Sometimes it can last several weeks and no clear rising pattern occurs until the end of September. So it's no surprise if this does happen.

Posted

No worries. Can you point me towards the IMS Total Ice page you mentioned earlier?

Yep, being below 07 (on a few sites at least) this year despite no strong Arctic Dipole pattern is a little concerning.

Posted

Ah, cheers for that. I thinks it's the yearly minimum that's of more concern, rather than being lowest on record at any given point in the year.

The wuwt sea ice reference page is handy for keeping tabs on these things http://wattsupwithth...s/sea-ice-page/

There's also an Arctic Sea Ice thread in the climate and environment sections of the forum, though I warn you, it's not the friendliest place around at timeslaugh.png

Posted

Cool, I shall go and have a look at that. At a guess is it arguments about whether Global Warming is happening or whether it is just a conspiracy?! lol

Where is Joe laminate floori these days? He predicted we'd be getting a lot cooler last year didn't he?

laminate floori??? Is Joe B-a-s-t-a-r-d-i a swear word too? rofl.gif

Posted

If I remember rightly from 2010, ice kept decreasing until the equinox and then increased at a fair pace after that.

Don't panic yet.......

Posted

The area where they planted the flag for the north pole back in April looks to have completely re-frozen, and there is fresh snow. Temperature inside the camera -1.0C today.

http://www.arctic.no...atest/noaa1.jpg

Edited by picog

Posted

Sorry I'm late guys, my internet connection has only just returned after being off all day, must be the storm?

Here's today's anyway :-)

6thseptember2011.gif

Oh and don't worry about anyone else posting the days picture, the thread is open to everyone and I won't be annoyed if for some reason I'm unable to post early that day.

My usual time to post is at between 7am and 7.45am each day.

Posted

Looks like the east Siberian patch has grown a little today.

In regards to ice, the falls are coming from the Canadian side, the ice north of Eurasia is increasing and has done for the past week.